How can i download and play a good version?

Discuss Median XL!
humudu
Fallen
1 | 0
I just want to play single player, a version before they removed the good stuff like Dragon eggs, maybe terror griswold box, different orbs, and maybe more.
But the launcher seems to update everything automatically, what else should i do?
tempmail
Dark Huntress
12 | 0
Use D2SE. Here's a guide viewtopic.php?t=4561
You can replace the 1.3.1 version with any version for example http://www.moddb.com/downloads/median-xl-ultimative-xvc
bamsugar123
Dark Huntress
11 | 0
well in single player u wont be able to retrive ur corpse.. in older versions
tempmail
Dark Huntress
12 | 0
You actually do get your corpse if you're playing a version below ultimative. If you follow the guide and extract the 1.3.1 version and then on top of that you extract for example median 1.f9b then after death you retrieve your corpse in town.
Aspirine101
Lesbimaleâ„¢
333 | -3
Just don't use the launcher if it gives you problems. Use d2se if you want an Ultimative version or just launch it manually if it's something older.

tempmail wrote:You actually do get your corpse if you're playing a version below ultimative. If you follow the guide and extract the 1.3.1 version and then on top of that you extract for example median 1.f9b then after death you retrieve your corpse in town.

That's very interesting, but are you sure it won't cause any problems? And I guess it ports some other things besides the corpse part?
Although I think if you're playing a version older than Ultimative it kinds of ruins the point, I mean ultimative (and even mxl2012) brought with it changes that make the classic ubers harder than they were before that, and corpse retrieval makes everything MUCH easier, and there were no "if this boss kills you it heals for X%" mechanics like we have now. I think if you enable corpse retrieval on a pre-ultimative version it would make things too easy.
Unda
Daystar
682 | 21
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Plus the point of playing current releases is to give feedback and find bugs/errors, which can help make Sigma better release.
tempmail
Dark Huntress
12 | 0
Aspirine101 wrote:That's very interesting, but are you sure it won't cause any problems? And I guess it ports some other things besides the corpse part?
Although I think if you're playing a version older than Ultimative it kinds of ruins the point, I mean ultimative (and even mxl2012) brought with it changes that make the classic ubers harder than they were before that, and corpse retrieval makes everything MUCH easier, and there were no "if this boss kills you it heals for X%" mechanics like we have now. I think if you enable corpse retrieval on a pre-ultimative version it would make things too easy.

As far as I know if causes one minor bug. You can't talk to NPC's that reveal map if they don't have an exclamation mark (!). The reason why I say it's a minor bug is because you can still complete all the quests. Let's take Malah from Act 5 for example. You can still complete Anas rescue and get the all resistance scroll, simply talk to Malah when she has an exclamation mark (!) above her head. If you talk to her when she doesn't have one then the game will immediately crash. So you can't buy healing pots from her.
Now as for other things that I have noticed the auto gold pick up also ports. So that's nice too.
As for making things too easy it depends on the player. I'm a casual player ( probably part of the majority ) so I never found ubers to be too easy even with the corpse retrieval before ultimative. For example I have never completed Laz and quite a few others. In all honesty I would say the current game is TOO hard now. But again, that depends on the player, if you have time to play 8 hours per day then I'm sure even samael will eventually become easy for you.