Running D2 through virtual Windows

Discuss Median XL!
tonyrico
Skeleton
2 | 0
Hello,

I'm getting back into median XL after a few years away. I have a MacBook Pro retina 2012 with 256gb and 8gb memory. I've played median XL on a mac in the past but it appears to no longer work that way as I can't even download the mod (it's an exe file). So I got Virtual Box and have downloaded D2 and the game is working...but not very well. It is VERY laggy and glitchy and I haven't even set up the mod yet, which should even be more taxing and laggier making the game completely unplayable. The mac version of D2 on my computer runs completely fine, but not at all for the Windows 10 I have going through Virtual Box. Is there a way to make the game run smoothly using Virtual Box? I've checked out Wine but it appears to be so complicated to me I can't even begin to understand it. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it, thank you!
User avatar
thanosdk
Pit Knight
102 | 5
tonyrico wrote:Hello,

I'm getting back into median XL after a few years away. I have a MacBook Pro retina 2012 with 256gb and 8gb memory. I've played median XL on a mac in the past but it appears to no longer work that way as I can't even download the mod (it's an exe file). So I got Virtual Box and have downloaded D2 and the game is working...but not very well. It is VERY laggy and glitchy and I haven't even set up the mod yet, which should even be more taxing and laggier making the game completely unplayable. The mac version of D2 on my computer runs completely fine, but not at all for the Windows 10 I have going through Virtual Box. Is there a way to make the game run smoothly using Virtual Box? I've checked out Wine but it appears to be so complicated to me I can't even begin to understand it. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it, thank you!


Better use windows xp as virtual OS or even better dual boot with Bootcamp.
User avatar
RequiemLux
Detonator
750 | 96
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
tonyrico wrote:...I've played median XL on a mac in the past but it appears to no longer work that way as I can't even download the mod (it's an exe file)...


If it can help, you do not have to necessarily download the .exe: https://www.moddb.com/mods/medianxl/dow ... dian-xl-13
User avatar
thanosdk
Pit Knight
102 | 5
RequiemLux wrote:
tonyrico wrote:...I've played median XL on a mac in the past but it appears to no longer work that way as I can't even download the mod (it's an exe file)...


If it can help, you do not have to necessarily download the .exe: https://www.moddb.com/mods/medianxl/dow ... dian-xl-13

I don't think it will help as Median XL is using a dll so that won't work on mac.
tonyrico
Skeleton
2 | 0
I'm contemplating buying an external hard drive (256gb-500gb because I don't have a ton of cash on hand) and trying boot camp. Does XP work better because it requires much less power (this is ram i'm assuming) than Windows 10? Maybe running virtual box on top of my Mac simultaneously is just too much, and as bootcamp will only run windows and not my Mac, it could run a little more efficiently? Thanks everyone and sorry I'm not very experienced at these sorts of things.
User avatar
Aero
Madawc
6734 | 231
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
bootcamp puts a lot of stress on my macbook pro. system fan constantly running and gets quite warm, but nothing too crazy. just lift the back corners with a pad of sticky notes or book or something to get some air flow.

used to run win7, but upgraded to win10 about a year ago
User avatar
thanosdk
Pit Knight
102 | 5
tonyrico wrote:I'm contemplating buying an external hard drive (256gb-500gb because I don't have a ton of cash on hand) and trying boot camp. Does XP work better because it requires much less power (this is ram i'm assuming) than Windows 10? Maybe running virtual box on top of my Mac simultaneously is just too much, and as bootcamp will only run windows and not my Mac, it could run a little more efficiently? Thanks everyone and sorry I'm not very experienced at these sorts of things.


Virtualbox or any other virtualization software won't bring the same performance as a live system, now D2 is a very old game, it should run somewhat ok on virtualbox and such, but really better with a dual-boot system, you can always give the least minimum needed disk space for windows within bootcamp and just play median xl over there, shouldnt be a big deal.
Hokum_52
Imp
5 | 0
It runs fine on virtualbox, although it's because my PC has an average-to-good configuration, most of the RAM and energy your computer will need is actually dedicated to making the emulator work.