Would you support an anti-hack program?

Discuss Median XL!

If I created a program to detect illegal hacks; would you support it if our playerbase takes a hit?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:44 am

Yes, cheaters deserve what they get
61%
Yes, But perhaps we should give them warnings instead then
32%
No, Our playerbase doesn't need to lose all the players that cheat
3%
No, I won't be able to use my hack without marco catching me =(
3%

Total votes: 31

Wotan
Astral Guardian
1928 | 160
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Impossible to make or it will not be time and/ or cost efficient.
Realms have never been cleaner. There are still "hackers" that are known for using forbiden tools and are being tolerated just because it cant be proven and thet are not really abusing "it". At one point "the staff" will get tired of them and their smugness and will just get rid of them, guilty or not.
These are my 2 cents... and I believe Marco's eyes are hurt from rolling for so many reasons.
Metalistas
Onyx Knight
601 | 79
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Wotan wrote:Impossible to make or it will not be time and/ or cost efficient.

Please leave this kind of arguments for people who actually do the programing. Or have you tried it already ? :roll:
Wotan
Astral Guardian
1928 | 160
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Knowing how certain tool work, I assume its impossible, and taem mentioned half the reasons. And by impossible I mean no one would put the effort into even if it wasnt.
The only way I can think of is starting the game through a certain anticheat tool.
Marco
Team Member
1952 | 1347
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Multiplayer Badge
Has won a multiplayer contest
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
whether it "is possible" or not is beyond the scope of this topic. And fyi, it is possible.

I don't know if q / sting can be directly detected, I believe it can. I have chat logs from some of the developers that provide some useful resources.

if it's not, there are still different ways to do it. you can do all maphacks incopatible from the mod itself, and then make a maphack that is aware of what in the mod is breaking this, and make it compatible.

either way, @west, you can set up your own pvpgn realm and try to make it happen. I'm sure many people will be grateful for it
Wotan
Astral Guardian
1928 | 160
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
@Dustin
If you want and can do it- just do it. I for one would want to see a properly working anticheat, but I remain highly sceptical.
Fumbles
Tantrum changes fan
1412 | 183
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
I would like to see something like this implemented in the future, if possible. I don't think anyone deserves a warning though. A temp ban is just a vacation go play a different game for a week. I recall there being a notification in the chat log after the character selection screen that said something to the effect of "read the rules @ http://tsw.vn.cz/rules/ - Having this should be plenty of warning for any potential evil-doers. I guess I'm still kinda salty about how the "ride to 121" contest went down this ladder though.
King
Balrog
121 | 8
Great Popularity Badge
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Skill Badge
Experienced Player
Just to clarify this post...

I was having a discussion with zlit as some of you may know him and a few others who make various hacks for various games. We somehow got onto the topic of LOD d2 and bots; and how blizzard can't seem to stop them...yet we (who make or modify the bots) know exactly how to stop them. Then we came across a post on b.net that they're hiring someone to make anti hack software right now in california... So we managed to ask how to detect and block hacks. We said it was impossible because we couldn't modify battle.net; however; one of us brought up the fact that "certain hacks crash on certain mods and thats why new hacks come out for every new version." So it became clearly simple, to incorporate something that makes them incompatible and modify a hack that is allowed on realm to bypass that.

Now the flip side is that yes, good programmers can modify those same hacks to bypass it; but lets be honest...how many hack users actually know how to modify or even write them...I'd bet close to 2% (not counting the creators) can do it.

Now, why would someone who makes these things want to make something to stop them? I don't make money off this game, I enjoy this game, I am kinda an ahole and brag alot...which means I don't want others to be as good as me (I know thats rude). However; I feel many people accomplish things because of these programs and I don't like that.

On c/s and starcraft 2, there is money to be made; and that is reason enough. Though I make more money boosting accounts than that since charging for them gets into the "illegal" field so donations alone isnt a viable source...ask marco how donations are on here and I'm sure he can agree...so Boosting accounts is very useful since its simple

1. Guy wants grand master league
2. guy is a silver
3. I say 100$ (knowing I can get him to grand master but if you dont stay active your bonus pool hits 180 and your kicked out gm).
4. guy gets kicked out of gm because he isnt that wise
5. pms me asking to get back into gm
6. I say I did my thing and send him s/s of proof but tell him i'll get him back in for 30$.
7. guy agrees, his MMR is already almost gm level due to being kicked out due to bonus pool so this takes me maybe 10-14 games and an open spot
8. I then offer to maintain his gm status for 80$ more.
9. I play a few games a week on his account, I purposely lose 50% of the games (since I can leave them after 5 seconds) and I win the other half to keep his mmr gm level, though it dont matter as long as bonus pool dont exceed 180.

He is happy, so am I; we both win. If only you knew how many times I sign on an account I am boosting and all his friends apparently were told by him that he is just that good and did it himself...

Anywho, Hope this clarifies the how and why part that some of you question. Just so you know...most of the banwaves that occured from b.net...had the fix and detection methods reported by the...same people who made and released it. And you wonder why b.net dont try to fix them? Bans=more buyers for new cdkeys, more money for them; more money for the creators...Be smart, dont use illegal programs on this mod (which is the most fun game I've ever played)...proof? I dont make money off this game, so why would I play it vs making money on the other ones..?
Taem
Necrobot
2499 | 158
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
certain hacks crash on certain mods and thats why new hacks come out for every new version." So it became clearly simple, to incorporate something that makes them incompatible

Interesting theory. Alright, to that end, if you could somehow dynamically modify variable pointers "per game" by randomizing them, then you could completely break not only all maphacks, but most hacks. The reason new hack needs to come out with every patch is the offsets are changed, so if you could somehow alter the offsets dynamically every time the game loads /and/ also somehow have the client sync with the server (perhaps an encrypted key), then you can permanently stop most if not all hacks! Anyway, just a theory; I've never seen anything like this done before and if you successfully create it for d2, perhaps you could market the concept to other interested companies: Cha-ching!
mahitovec
twitch.tv/mahitovec
1799 | 190
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Showcase Badge
Bored at work? Come watch my stream!
Common Guide Badge