Discuss Median XL!
Johnny Impak
Daystar
658 | 23
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
As stated, i'm currently trying to finish every uberquest in Median Xl using melee. I'm playing a Stormblast barb and I'm kind of stuck on 2 bosses from Yshari and Void.

Yshari Baal just refuses to die, plain and simple. Mostly caused by AR, I'm pretty sure. I did read somewhere I need around 200k AR to hit him constantly, but here is my question related to this;

How the hell am I supposed to reach 200k AR without dumping a lot of points in Dex ? I Smaxed Daedalus ofc. I have 47k now. Had the same problem for Yshari Mephisto. Then I charmed 10+ veil kings using the book from triune while having Spirit of vengeance from SSu Bone Helm tanking everything. I litterally laughed when he died.

As for the void ... It went way smoother than I originally thought. Only 1 soul left ... Envy. Slaves seems to have 50% to cast instagib in your face on striking, Add that to a relatively small fighting arena, a hovering boss which love to stand in unwalkable tiles and another - life regen effect, like if eternals were not enough. Yeah, I know, I could grab an SSSu Chain mail and thunderstone him but that would break the image of the tanky barbarian. Spirit of Vengeance is not really an option here; Yeah,m you would not die, but the enemies will kill you if you attempt to slap anything.

If you want to know some more specific gear oriented info, i'd be pleased to answer. Playing solo btw. Long live to melee !

Edit: If you need help for any uberquest with a stormblast barb, I'd be glad to help. Only uldyssian, Void, Maroc, Yshari and Athulua left to complete
suchbalance
Team Member
1759 | 513
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Skill Badge
Experienced Player
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Great Mind Badge
A Median XL guru... a true book of knowledge
Baal: sounds like your physical damage is weak (no surprise there if you are just trying to stormblast him :lol:). What do you do when boss is only weak to phys in this case? Get as close to 100% crushing blow as possible and 100% open wounds and use a multihitting ability (like stormblast). Unlike Mephisto's veil kings, Baal is no real threat - you can just tank him in the middle of the room endlessly, the crushing blow should take him down within a minute and the OW prevent him from healing.

Alternatively if you have a good weapon, socketing it with perfect rainbows for cb and just shower of rocking his face with 100% ow might also do the trick. Btw Daedalus is percentage based, so if you really want to get a good attack rating you will have to raise your base - i.e. points in dex would be the way forward.

Envy: well he runs away once you get close. So your goal here if you are insisting on being melee would be to get -170% or so enemy light res, then blink on his head and shift click (this way it has some range too) your stormblast on him to one shot him. Of course this will be slightly complicated to execute in practice due to his burning nova, so you have to time your blink right after he does it (and you dodged it). The minions are more dangerous when killed than when alive because their corpses can be exploded by the boss. It's best to just cc them with thunder slam.
Monkey King
264 | 20
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Contest Badge
Has won a forum contest
Your dedication is truly impressive. I always struggled playing melee. I'm curious about the playstyle, but no specific questions as i'm not currently playing barb. A full guide would be awesome, but I'm aware that's a lot of work.
Kronos
Prowler
16 | 0
Great tips, suchbalance, cheers

I have cleared all bosses in Yshari except Baal as well, he is starting to p%#s me off, so this came at a good time. I will re-equip as you have stated.

One of the hardest things in the game is finding tips on beating specific bosses, since their weaknesses are not exactly published in the FAQ! But these type of tips are very handy....
MUS01
Cog
202 | 3
If you have readed my old guide... (The master og 5 elements, fortress barbarian) you can get nice AB using double mo TU balanced axe with %AR orbs, AND, get 100% CB at the same time.

Tested even before DAEDALUS skill was created.
Maligno
Thunder Beetle
51 | 11
Common Popularity Badge
grab some Cycle of strength if u lack AR, u dont need to reach 200k that was too much :lol: Also use Khazra Plate if you want to kill Tor Baalos

for envy, lure the slaves away from nihlatak then kill them before they can hit you. in that way i manage to kill the boss with not much problem.
Johnny Impak
Daystar
658 | 23
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
@SuchBalance : I was trying to kill Tor Baalos with Shower of rocks. I must say that I tried once and I said ''F*** it for now'' I'm going to try farming some overall speed cycles in Triune to get cap attack speed. My weapon is a Soldier of Light ( Light rune x6) in a double mo sacred Labrys, damage is around 1900-2100 on weapon alone. I think this is high enough. Equipping a ripstar to get 100% ow and changing gear towards damage to demons and crushing blow might do it. (Khazra Plate, SBS) I could also try adding nightmare on him with a rare ammy and let him hit me with fortress for it to proc. I should have thought that one further.

As for envy, I'm going to do this one NOT melee. I hate to say it, but it is barely possible. Trying to lure enemies will end by ghosts blocking your way. Try to kill them and the slaves will 1 shot you in the back. It might be possible to do it by getting a LOT of AR and CB, cast tp 1 screen away, cast Sacred armor in town ( Yaerius Belt) and run to him like a madman hoping he won't teleport offrange. Even Pride was easier solo melee, and he was a nightmare.

@01001010 : It is all about balancing the stats and game knowledge. For example, Kabraxis. I respec into snake stance for slow effect and eagle stance for life regen, immortal for some avoid and rest goes daedalus. Other skills aren't that useful, since you NEED to get hit for the 50% ctc teleport when struck to work, I wear Trollface (Su Bone Helm) to avoid getting instagibbed when he casts Broadside and Spirit Walker (Su Heavy boots) for increased survivability against his Balefire attack. Don't forget to get a lot of poison resistance so it wont counter eagle stance.

@Maligno : I got a Unique Sacred ancient armor once ... Wanted Khazra so badly. Got merc bomb ... Lol. Used it to kill Soul of Greed Haha.
Stealthmaster
Godsman Guard
3902 | 155
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Nightmare proc on Community Set Belt > nightmare proc on ammy. If you're so rich to have Merc Bomb, you should already have that belt :twisted:
Johnny Impak
Daystar
658 | 23
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
@Stealthmaster : I don't have that belt. I got that merc bomb from Terul actually. I couldn't believe it since I never saw an an SU ancient armor drop before. I don't have that belt unfortunatly.
Ben-
Team Member
346 | 354
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Contest Badge
Has won a forum contest
Common Skill Badge
Experienced Player
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Common Mind Badge
Brainstormer... cool ideas and theories
Great Auction Badge
Won 200 auctions
vs baal you can put su battle staff on switch and orb a lolsummon onto it, cast bane to lower his dmg reduced, should help. also smax wolves

vs nihla, go max vita+eagle stance+dmg and get as much lightning pierce as possible (up to -199). teleport/jitan gate (not blink) ontop of him, as soon as u teleport put mouse curser to centre of screen and when u land, leftclick should be right on him, hold it down. if/when he tele's switch to wolf and chase him asap
potions+eagle should counter the degen with enough life

if u ever played clod pvp, then chase him like u would telesmite/zerk/throwlock