Reanimator - first try build, tips and advice welcome :P

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.
MC_Sword
Destroyer
7 | 0
Hi guys!

So I was just casually farming Duncraig with my melee necro and get this drop:

Instatnly I want to make a necro reanimator build. Never ever try to do this before, so this is my first attempt. I didn't follow any build whatsoever, I just make him on my own base on median mechanics and items that I already found. I'm playing single, so i just reset stats of my previous other necro and build this one. I didn't try him yet on any uberquest, only playing destruction difficulty on players 4-6. He sems to be quite fun and efficient to play. I use different skills from either totem, summon, and malice skill tree. So here how I planned:

Stats:

Str: enough for heaviest armor
Dex: enough to equip scythe
Vita: none (embalming do the job)
Ene: rest of the points

Life: ~10k
Mana: ~7k

Skills:

Max skills: embalming, stormeye totem, funeral pyre, summon jinn
Some points: summon shadow - aboute 13 just to get them ~10k life, howling totem 12 p - to get 200% enhanced minion damage, sacriface - rest spare points.
One point usable skills: black mass, graveyard, summon void archon, talons hold

Items.

Weapon: Freakshow - sacred scythe
Helm: The Wanderers Hood
Armor: Screen of Viz-Jaq Taar sacred quilited armor
Gloves: Lamha Na Draiothe - sacred gauntlets
Belt: Ashera armour - sacred belt
Boots: Megalith - runeword
Amu: rare with +3 skill and +22 Devouring Cloud (my main psn attack)
Ring1: Empyrean band
Ring2: rare with +1 skill and some usefull mods (+%minion life and +%minion dmg)

Stats (base):
Stats (buffed) :

Merc: Act II shapeshifter.

Important stats:
+420% summon minion life
+188% summon minion dmg
Mana regeneration: +560%
Max life +160%
Max mana: +20%
Damage reduction 17%
My main attack is Devouring cloud, which gives huge poison dmg in strait line, and with equipped scythe I get very high cast rate which provides me huge spamming abillity of this skill. Secondary Funeral Pyre for some extra fire dmg in crowded areas. For lightning I use stormeye totem, and also a howling totem from totem skill tree just to empowerd my minions during combat. In game I use shadows for their aura buff, jinnies for their fire dmg and hellfire aura, and Void Archon for his warp aura effects. Aboute reanimated minions here how it looks:
25% reanimate as: Soul Flayer
15% reanimate: Slain Soul
15% reanimate: Slain Soul
10% reanimate: Ratflink
5% reanimate: heavy drone
5% reanimate light drone
4% reanimate: Magineer
3% reanimate: Hammer bot
1% reanimate rivet bot

Funny how the bot/drones use models from Planscape: Torment modron labirynth level :D Thats very creative and suits well Diablo 2 lore! The playstyle looks pretty good the reanimates are dealing in combat very well and my summons are supporting them just fine. Devouring clouds works for me much better that Boneyard, and funeral pyre for support fire dmg. With stormeye totem I have tri ele spell dmg, and with Jinni hellfire aura it can clear the dungeons preety quiclky (for a summoner necro ofc.). I know that it is not a "clear" based on reanimates necro, I use some summons, totems and malice skills, but in total I found him nice to play, even if with large army of minions the game lag in many places a lot ...

How do you guys think of this concept? What can be improved or changed? I was doing it on my own, with gear that I found in game. So no fireworks, but still I think the gear is optimal. I don't really think he is good for some uber, but the gamplay seems to be efficient and fun. I am rather casual player, so dont be very harsh :P

Cheers.
Edited by MC_Sword 8 years.
RollsRoyce
Djinn
523 | 51
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Legendary Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
the best reanimator i think is around atm is a kraken stance fortress barb with gallowlaugh and secret scythe with a decent reanimate. Nec was always very laggy when i tried it.
Stealthmaster
Godsman Guard
3902 | 155
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
For a necromancer I suggest you to get a [item]Sinwar[/item] shield with Kraken Stance, and, what is most important, Enchanced Stance Radius (from Spirit Walk passive) so all your reanimates could benefit from any stance. As for 1h weapon you could try [item]Crackrust[/item].
MC_Sword
Destroyer
7 | 0
Stealthmaster wrote:For a necromancer I suggest you to get a [item]Sinwar[/item] shield with Kraken Stance, and, what is most important, Enchanced Stance Radius (from Spirit Walk passive) so all your reanimates could benefit from any stance. As for 1h weapon you could try [item]Crackrust[/item].

Nice, well I have not found those items yet, but sure it looks promising, espacialy the head shield with barb stances. :shock: But those reanimates from the club are elite or normal? By the way, if the item display: reanimate as: (blue color) [monster name] its is base monster right? When it shows: reanimate as: (yellow) [monster name] it is elite, and orange are for....? Heroic are green right? What kind of monsters use orange display name?
Stealthmaster
Godsman Guard
3902 | 155
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
blue: non-elite regular monsters;
yellow: elite regular monsters;
dark green: veteran monsters;
light green: heroic monsters;
golden (orange): ubermonsters.
MC_Sword
Destroyer
7 | 0
Stealthmaster wrote:blue: non-elite regular monsters;
yellow: elite regular monsters;
dark green: veteran monsters;
light green: heroic monsters;
golden (orange): ubermonsters.

That was usefull, thanks!
hellgrind
Mangler
458 | 21
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
You should try [item]Prince of Nothing[/item]
Segolia
Djinn
541 | 38
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
You can also use hidden crafts (blessed too) for even more reanimation. You can replace gear parts that dont have reanimates with said crafts.
You can get up to 6 reanimates if you're mega lucky. But getting a decent blessing in general is fine too, it adds more quantity to your army if you focus more on "getting reanimates". Or you can go the path that focuses on getting really good elite monters. Keep in mind as well that boots have a chance to roll necro skills, so lookout for that.