Median XL in Lutris

Discuss Median XL!
Inotamira_Orani
Destroyer
6 | 0
I am going to document everything I've done to get Median XL working in Lutris correctly so that hopefully this will help someone else. Kudos to RAB in the #tech-support section in the Discord for all the help.

So, starting off, I modified the cd installer that already exists in Lutris' main website found here https://lutris.net/games/diablo-ii/ with this
► Show Spoiler

then after installing the 1.14b installer for plain D2, (if you have the 1.13c installer, skip the downgrade instructions) I right clicked on the Diablo 2 prefix and selected "Run EXE inside Wine Prefix" then selected the 1.14b LOD installer and installed that making sure to install them both to the root of the virtual C drive, meaning C:\Diablo II, simply by clicking the C drive.

After that comes the fun part, you have to downgrade 1.14b to 1.13c by copying game.exe to the main Diablo II folder, easiest way to get there is to right click the prefix and select browse files, while you're here, install the glide wrapper into the same directory.

Before we start this next step, right click the prefix, go to Game options, select browse on the executable section, open the drive_c folder, open the Diablo II folder, then select the Diablo II.exe. After that in the Arguments section, add -3dfx, save the prefix configuration. Right click the prefix again, select Run EXE in Wine Prefix, open drive_c, Diablo II, and run glide-init.exe. Make sure to click the Deutch/English button to swap to English if need be, and configure to your liking. If you don't do this, the next step has a strong chance to break your desktop due to the super low resolution, so run it windowed or select desktop resolution.

Next you'll want to download LODPatch_113c.exe and right click the prefix, Run EXE in Wine Prefix, and let it apply the patch. The game will start, simply shut it down by exiting.

Then we'll download The Mod and The DLL's. Once downloaded, right click the prefix in Lutris, select Browse Files, and extract these two archives into Diablo II's folder.

Finally, download The Windows Launcher, right click the prefix, Run EXE in Wine Prefix, let it install, which will take some time, once the installer closes, don't do anything for about 5 minutes. The launcher is adding folders and files vital to the mod working correctly, no idea which ones, but this step is essential, or your game will be broken.

After about 5 minutes, load up whatever process manager you have, System Monitor, Top, whatever you use, and kill all instances of the launcher. You should now be able to play the game no problem, save and load characters with no problem, and have it looking however you like with the glide wrapper.

I hope this saves someone the headache I went through to get this working correctly!

Edit: if anyone understands how to create Lutris installers to simply wrap all this into something simple, please, do it. I can't for the life of me figure the installer scripts out to where this can all just be done automatically.
Edited by Inotamira_Orani 5 years.
kestik
Prowler
19 | 0
Inotamira_Orani wrote:Delete this post

Why? I think it's engaging and serves value to the community. I say leave it up.