Short Questions Thread

Discuss Median XL!
User avatar
cnlnjzfjb
Azure Drake
172 | 4
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Abaddon666 wrote:Life leech vs life on attack vs life on striking for a physical melee char?
What's better to use - jewels with 2% ll or with 8 life on attack? In this case, for an iron spiral barb (which is a melee attack that deals 70% physical dmg). I've read that LoA works on succesful hits, but in case of iron spiral, does it give 8 life for each sword seen on the attack animation or is it just 8 life for the whole attack?

You get 1/15 of ll on Hell and ll is based on dmg, which is pretty low on this attack and monsters probably have some %DR as well, so I guess LoA is better in this case? You can get 15% ll vs up to 64 LoA from ~8 jewels . 15% ll will become 1% ll on Hell, 1% of, let's say, 5k dmg is 50 life vs flat 64 life from LoA. So, is this the answer, or am I thinking wrongly?

Which one is better for a Shapeshifter merc (2% ll or 8 LoA)? I guess this merc also uses melee physical attacks with rather low dmg, so the answer is the same?

Also, how good is life on striking and how exactly does it work? I've read that it works with ranged attacks, while LoA works only with melee, but is it better than LoA for a melee char as well? Or is it only an alternative for ranged attacks? The values from various items are pretty low compared to the values of LoA, but one barb shield gives 10 LoS, which seems like a lot, compared to other items, so I wonder how good it is.

Thanks in advance!

1)Not good at math. Just keep some basic rules in mind and feel it uself, it is always better to have a try and see the results than just do the math. In ur case, 8 LoA gives just 8 life for the whole attack. And only if u really hit the first target, u get that 8 life. If u missed, then nothing. This is why UHM pal usually needs some AR when facing boss.


2) For a Shapeshifter, it is better to have LoA than ll for his low damage, especially when he reaches 5F/4F attack speed. However, they both not that matter. If u want him tanky, just give him more health. If in lab, more max res and life.

3) If u can multi-hit enough, LoS is better. Otherwise, it is inefficient. At the same time, it is a rather rarer affix than ll and LoA. Usually, ll and LoA are better for a physical melee char than LoS.
User avatar
Scalewinged
Horadric Mage
1071 | 47
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Abaddon666 wrote:Life leech vs life on attack vs life on striking for a physical melee char?
What's better to use - jewels with 2% ll or with 8 life on attack? In this case, for an iron spiral barb (which is a melee attack that deals 70% physical dmg). I've read that LoA works on succesful hits, but in case of iron spiral, does it give 8 life for each sword seen on the attack animation or is it just 8 life for the whole attack?

You get 1/15 of ll on Hell and ll is based on dmg, which is pretty low on this attack and monsters probably have some %DR as well, so I guess LoA is better in this case? You can get 15% ll vs up to 64 LoA from ~8 jewels . 15% ll will become 1% ll on Hell, 1% of, let's say, 5k dmg is 50 life vs flat 64 life from LoA. So, is this the answer, or am I thinking wrongly?

Which one is better for a Shapeshifter merc (2% ll or 8 LoA)? I guess this merc also uses melee physical attacks with rather low dmg, so the answer is the same?

Also, how good is life on striking and how exactly does it work? I've read that it works with ranged attacks, while LoA works only with melee, but is it better than LoA for a melee char as well? Or is it only an alternative for ranged attacks? The values from various items are pretty low compared to the values of LoA, but one barb shield gives 10 LoS, which seems like a lot, compared to other items, so I wonder how good it is.

Thanks in advance!


1) For iron spiral barb (basically any WDM char with good AoE attack with not much damage conversion) ll is much more effective and ofc easier to obtain. Life on attack working only 1 time for one successful initial hit. So for that case for each time of using iron spiral you will get 8 life regardless of how many targets you hit while 2% ll will leech from each target you hit with it.

2) Penalty changed to 1/8 with damage nerfs of 1.7... and here comes some math: with let's say 8% ll and 1000 pure physical daamge on d2stat screen.
To count how many life you leech (basically life on striking from non-boss enemies) first of all count how many damage iron spiral will carry: 1000*0,8=800;
then count how much physical damage left after 30% conversion applied: 800*0,7=560;
now count life stolen per hit without penalty: 560*0,08~45;
and finally apply difficulty penalty of 1/8: 45/8~5.
So with 8% ll and 1000 phys damage you will get 5 life on striking which is much more superior than 8 life on attack and alot easier to obtain than LoS stat itself. Still keep in mind that ll NOT working with 100% conversion skills like stormblast and will be heavily reduced even more for bosses while life on attack/striking will not recieve any of these downsides.

3) About life on striking.. as i told already it only great upside is not recieving any penalties and working with 100% convertion. For your example with 10 LoS it have good potential for healing with stormblast since this hits alot.. but don't expect more than 150-200 life restored from single use.

Overall: i choose ll nearly all the time for WDM chars (except builds like maelsin or meleesorc which main skill converts nearly all damage to elemental) since it's mostly pretty hard to beat it with LoA or LoS. Exceptions that comes to mind instantly are maelsin, meleesorc (mentioned above) and whirlwind barb.

PS: Monsters have no any phys resistances, except for bosses AND monsters which were phys immune in pre-sigma (Necrobots in Fauzt and Necromorbs in Dunc.... some of Yshari monsters too) - they recieve 60% phys resist. Bosses mostly have 15% phys resist and hardest ones have 50% phys res
Abaddon666
Rust Claw
84 | 2
Awesome! Thanks for some really good answers :)
User avatar
Hiehvorak
Lava Lord
95 | 5
Does mana stolen per hit work with spell?
ParticuLarry
Mangler
485 | 48
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Hiehvorak wrote:Does mana stolen per hit work with spell?


No. Try getting mana regenerate (mystic orbs for rings/amulets) or mana after each kill (pollice verso early game or Perfect sapphires in weapons) to balance out your mana.

Mana stolen per hit only works on weapon damage.
User avatar
Hiehvorak
Lava Lord
95 | 5
ParticuLarry wrote:
Hiehvorak wrote:Does mana stolen per hit work with spell?


No. Try getting mana regenerate (mystic orbs for rings/amulets) or mana after each kill (pollice verso early game or Perfect sapphires in weapons) to balance out your mana.


Got it

ParticuLarry wrote:Mana stolen per hit only works on weapon damage.


So, as long as the skill state it deal % weapon damage, it will steal life or mana right?
ParticuLarry
Mangler
485 | 48
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Hiehvorak wrote:So, as long as the skill state it deal % weapon damage, it will steal life or mana right?


Correct!
Chance
Azure Drake
167 | 3
Does TCD boost Snow Queen (abilities) defense?
ILoseControl
Gravedigger
186 | 22
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Chance wrote:Does TCD boost Snow Queen (abilities) defense?

Yes, first all flat defense is calculated, then TCD is added as percentage on top of that.
blatkill
Gravedigger
197 | 17
Hello,

In Single player, all scrool are lootable exept the two from gobelin : amulet & helmet ones.
But for some reason, I can't find the armor one from lab 6-15, niether the boots one from Bremtown.

Is that a kind of bug ? Someone knows ?