Socket Punch should work on socketed items

Discuss Median XL!
bruceleroy99
Imp
4 | 0
I'm not sure what the reasoning is for not allowing the socket punch recipe to work on any item, but the RNG is bad enough trying to craft an item without it. I'm playing a melee necro and trying to farm for upgrades but I'm 128 and still haven't found a single usable chest better than a tiered unique (werecat). Finally decided to try and craft something better and so far I've gone through multiple full inventories of renewal potions just trying to get a good base item to use but there have been so many good rolls that have 1-5 sockets that make it worthless.

Now, I could see if crafting was useful for early game so there would be cases where having 1-5 sockets would be ok but crafting is exclusively a mid / late game thing where you need 0 or 6 sockets to have something even remotely usable. I don't see any reason why socket punch shouldn't be usable on an item that is already socketed so that at the very least I'm only trying to pin down 2 attributes on the thing rather than 3.
Meekerton
Jungle Hunter
26 | 0
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
This doesn't make sense because say you have a base you want to socket, you can just oil of renewal till you get a nice superior white version, try for luck and then socket punch the white item. it doesnt make sense to try and keep going for a 6 socket from oil of renew. you can also just use the lazruk quest reward on the white base and not have to find jewels.
Cheno
Heretic
422 | 21
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Meekerton wrote:This doesn't make sense because say you have a base you want to socket, you can just oil of renewal till you get a nice superior white version, try for luck and then socket punch the white item. it doesnt make sense to try and keep going for a 6 socket from oil of renew. you can also just use the lazruk quest reward on the white base and not have to find jewels.

I think you need to read his post again.
Istaryu
Sand Maggot
1121 | 26
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
This just doesnt make any sense.
User avatar
SwineFlu
Heretic
402 | 53
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
There is no way to add more sockets to an existing item using the cube recipe, there is no out of the box solution, it's a game engine limitation.

Why it's so hard to get a perfect base is a whole different story. Why waste your time rolling that fat 35% ED bonus with %DR/%AR and Lucky Bonus on top of it unless you are aiming for gg craft which is not a mid game option anyways. And before they introduced
Empyrean Touch
Empyrean Touch
Occult Effigy

Cube Reagent
Cube with Any Weapon/Armor to Add Bonus
Item Becomes Ethereal
+10 Required Level
Does Not Work on Indestructible Items
it (arguably) wasn't a late game option either. On the other hand maybe 70% chance to roll 1-6 sockets and 30% chance to reroll an item without any sockets is a bit too random, not gonna argue with that.

Good for you that you missed the time when Blessed Oil of Luck was still a thing, otherwise you would be demolished trying to get its juicy bonus.
SinClaire
Sasquatch
68 | 0
I expected the OP to complain about eth items that are missing sockets, but OP went to rant about oils smh.
bruceleroy99
Imp
4 | 0
SinClaire wrote:I expected the OP to complain about eth items that are missing sockets, but OP went to rant about oils smh.


I'm sorry you can't see the value in not wasting peoples' time? This is a game about murdering hordes of enemies, not finding a more efficient way to repeatedly click different boxes in your inventory to watch some text change. Get over yourself, bud.
SinClaire
Sasquatch
68 | 0
bruceleroy99 wrote:
SinClaire wrote:I expected the OP to complain about eth items that are missing sockets, but OP went to rant about oils smh.


I'm sorry you can't see the value in not wasting peoples' time? This is a game about murdering hordes of enemies, not finding a more efficient way to repeatedly click different boxes in your inventory to watch some text change. Get over yourself, bud.


Oil crafting removes the hours required for farming socketed superior item bases. This mechanic actually saves a lot of time.
If you're complaining about oil crafting, wait till you try shrine crafting.
Crosby4HyG
Cog
223 | 17
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Like a few people have mentioned, I think you’re maybe getting too hung up on getting that perfect roll. Is this armor really your end game piece? If not, I’d say maybe settle for something 27 ED instead of 35.

Also, if you get a good roll that has no sockets you can add as many as you want by putting the item + up to 6 random jewels to add as many sockets as you want. One socket per jewel.