MO : Physical damage reduced by 6 -> Important ?

Discuss Median XL!
Poxpox
Dark Huntress
10 | 0
Among the MO available in the NPCs, there is one saying : Physical damage reduced by 6, and i saw a discussion about people advising to reduced flat damage until 135 (knowing that with these MOs, we can apply to the rings and amu 15 x 6 = 90 reduction).

I can't see how this damage reduction work, knowing that 90 physical damage seems to me quite low (lol i compare it to what I do as damage in act 2 in normal :mrgreen: ) so i'm surely wrong in my interpretation of what is this value.

Is someone can help me on this point, I would be grateful. Even a link to another thread explaining this point or something else :)

(I post this question in short question thread but surely it could be a real topic)
Fululf
Lava Lord
96 | 10
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Poxpox wrote:Among the MO available in the NPCs, there is one saying : Physical damage reduced by 6, and i saw a discussion about people advising to reduced flat damage until 135 (knowing that with these MOs, we can apply to the rings and amu 15 x 6 = 90 reduction).

I can't see how this damage reduction work, knowing that 90 physical damage seems to me quite low (lol i compare it to what I do as damage in act 2 in normal :mrgreen: ) so i'm surely wrong in my interpretation of what is this value.

Is someone can help me on this point, I would be grateful. Even a link to another thread explaining this point or something else :)

(I post this question in short question thread but surely it could be a real topic)


I have been playing this mod for quite some time, but never really dug too deep into why u MO phys reduction on rings+amus, I've just read it's recommended in alot of cases and went along with it I guess.. ;D
My guess (and some1 who knows better, be sure to correct me) is that it is helpful vs monsters that have low dmg but hits many times/sec. The flat dmg reduction could negate most of that damage, while % dmg reduction would be less beneficial.
Not sure I'm on the right track, but this is the best I can do. I hope some1 will give a better response for both our sakes. ;D
User avatar
Dumda
Stygian Watcher
40 | 0
Poxpox wrote:Among the MO available in the NPCs, there is one saying : Physical damage reduced by 6, and i saw a discussion about people advising to reduced flat damage until 135 (knowing that with these MOs, we can apply to the rings and amu 15 x 6 = 90 reduction).

I can't see how this damage reduction work, knowing that 90 physical damage seems to me quite low (lol i compare it to what I do as damage in act 2 in normal :mrgreen: ) so i'm surely wrong in my interpretation of what is this value.

Is someone can help me on this point, I would be grateful. Even a link to another thread explaining this point or something else :)

(I post this question in short question thread but surely it could be a real topic)


%dr and flat works together perfectly.
Not a lot of enemy minions hit super hard having high flat dr just helps you survive also lategame you get everything what helps you survive.
Just imagine you have extra 90flat dr that makes you take 90dmg less/succesful attack how many times you get attacked? Those are add up
User avatar
Johnny Impak
Onyx Knight
645 | 23
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
I always mo my rings/ammy with these before normal TA. Since mobs there do physical damage, they end up doing next to nothing afterwards. Most of the time I keep the same rings through nightmare. After that, it is up to what your build is. I like having this on melee characters. You don’t need that on assassin, thanks to Prismatic Cloak. I must add that 90 dr is next to nothing in hell ubers. Go for 50% physical damage reduction instead.

Flat dr is taken into consideration before dr%. They complement each other, but not as nicely as you think they would.
User avatar
Scalewinged
Horadric Mage
1055 | 44
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Mostly that 90 flat dr is totally pointless (esp when you running Hell where minimum damage dealt counts in hundreds for very start and thousands later). About 135 flat dr - it needed ONLY for single uber that is QT. Once you done it and got viable charm/trophy (if needed) - forget about it, even PLR will be more viable.
For me it's veeery-vry-very last MOs i would add to jewelry and only if i don't have problems with mana/res. Also if i have tons of TCD - i will choose these +100 def orbs instead.
CallMeCrazySam
Core Lord
395 | 54
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
At least on rares, if you aren't going to MO it, what are you going to MO instead?
Ywinel
Lava Lord
98 | 2
In higher level dungeons monster hit hard enough to render flat damage rather useless even when you have nice combo with %dr and def.
BUT if you look at some lower level dungeons, it may not be that bad. Cows/amazon/khalimgrad(and most of dungs up to lvl 115) have monsters with rather low dmg and these orbs can make you survive few additional hits. It helps with early dungeons when your defense/life is low.
I think it may be useful even later(dunc/fauzt) if you combo it with reduction in rest of gear. 300+ flat with good % dr may be good but it's rather thing to do when you get flat dr in crafts accidentally or got some su/rw with high flat dr in build already. Not worth enough to focus on it.
Diaco
Daystar
676 | 17
Scalewinged wrote:Mostly that 90 flat dr is totally pointless (esp when you running Hell where minimum damage dealt counts in hundreds for very start and thousands later). About 135 flat dr - it needed ONLY for single uber that is QT. Once you done it and got viable charm/trophy (if needed) - forget about it, even PLR will be more viable.
For me it's veeery-vry-very last MOs i would add to jewelry and only if i don't have problems with mana/res. Also if i have tons of TCD - i will choose these +100 def orbs instead.


wasn't the phys dmg part removed from QT in the last patch or the one before it?
User avatar
Scalewinged
Horadric Mage
1055 | 44
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Diaco wrote:wasn't the phys dmg part removed from QT in the last patch or the one before it?


It was in 1.5.0 but then added back in 1.5.1... changelog says it deal just 1 phys damage but still i saw somewhere advise that it still need around 130 PDR to be effective.