Heavy Lag Spikes in Single Player

Discuss Median XL!
Jamian
Imp
4 | 0
Hello. I'm a new Median XL player and I'm very happy to have found a way to keep playing Diablo 2, without having to purchase D2: Resurrection.

But I'm having a bit of an issue. I'm a Barbarian at level 15 (as you can see I just started the playing the game) and I noticed a significant lag spike in many occasions, but only when there are lots of monters (Blood Raven was a complete stop-dance nightmare for me). I've searched around the Internet and saw that it was mostly due to the in-game sounds and server problems.

If I used my NVIDIA graphics card for the game, would it help alleviate the lag? I was playing on single player and on windowed mode. A friend of mine who just started playing the game as well reports no issues on their end. They were on fullscreen and using a PC. We're both from the Philippines too and we haven't tried playing on multiplayer.

I would love to play D2 with sounds, so turning off the sounds would be a final option for me.

Laptop specs:

i7-4702MQ
GTX 760m
4GB DDR3

Thanks!
Captcha
Mangler
486 | 26
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Not sure if it helps, but there's a fix for some sound issues by loading some alternate files. Check on tech support section (or ask in discord).

It may be a fix for your issue though, but worth asking.
Jamian
Imp
4 | 0
Captcha wrote:Not sure if it helps, but there's a fix for some sound issues by loading some alternate files. Check on tech support section (or ask in discord).

Thank you for your response. I have actually found a way to play with no lags. I switched from GlideFX to DirectDraw3d. Removed lags for me a lot. But I can't seem to play in fullscreen now, which is kind of a bummer. I'll play around with the settings more. I wonder if there's a way for me to play in fullscreen using DirectDraw3d.
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Jamian wrote:
Captcha wrote:Not sure if it helps, but there's a fix for some sound issues by loading some alternate files. Check on tech support section (or ask in discord).

Thank you for your response. I have actually found a way to play with no lags. I switched from GlideFX to DirectDraw3d. Removed lags for me a lot. But I can't seem to play in fullscreen now, which is kind of a bummer. I'll play around with the settings more. I wonder if there's a way for me to play in fullscreen using DirectDraw3d.

I would suggest getting a better computer. 4G of ram won't get you far and a 760M is extremely weak, even for Median standards. When you get farther into the game you're gonna run into problems.
Jamian
Imp
4 | 0
Effective wrote:
Jamian wrote:

I would suggest getting a better computer. 4G of ram won't get you far and a 760M is extremely weak, even for Median standards. When you get farther into the game you're gonna run into problems.

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I can't purchase a new laptop for now. And is 760m really that bad? My friend is playing Median XL with a GTX 660 and he isn't having any lagging issues. Then again, he is using a computer and I'm using a laptop.

I also noticed that what specifically causes the lag is the GL_ARB_fragment_program. I played around with the GL extensions individually and I discovered that if I untick the GL_ARB_fragment_program, while ticking every other extensions on, I don't experience lags. But of course, the graphics are pixelated. And if I untick everything and have GL_ARB_fragment_program the only extension that's been ticked on, I still get heavy lags. Must be an OpenGL issue? I've checked my drivers and they're all up to date. Unless my laptop just says that because it can't update into the latest versions due to compatability issues.

Another thing I've noticed is that when I try running Median XL using my GTX 760 manually, it doesn't let me. It tells me "UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: ACCESS_VIOLATION (c0000005)".

I checked my NVIDIA GPU activity and it is active, but the applications running on it are "lockapp.exe" and "startmenuexperiencehost.exe". I searched for them on the Median XL folder and they're not there. Searched the Diablo II directory and they're not there too. I wonder where these apps could be coming from.

I will continue to tweak some things tomorrow.
rngbeast
Vampiress
39 | 0
I would suggest you try some different wrappers, like CNC-DDRAW https://forum.median-xl.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65247 or D2DX https://forum.median-xl.com/viewtopic.php?t=66782.
Gorghor
Bone Archer
77 | 4
Like was mentioned 4gb of ram is borderline. Windows 10 is going to use almost all of that baseline, you're probably dumping on your pagefile.
Imperius
Gravedigger
182 | 5
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Just switch to cnc ddraw and have fun.