Naginata Assassin

Find a handful of guides and walkthroughs here!
Lynderika
Thunder Beetle
54 | 16
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Naginata Assassin complete guide

Updated for 1.7 after playing through it ! Everything outside of maybe enhanced weapon damage values or some minor things should be gud

Links
Basics : Skills - Stats - Breakpoints
Complete Walkthrough and Gear : Normal to Hell - Endquest
Bonus : Crafting - Mercenary - d2stats set up - Afterword

Naginata build have been sullied for years, considered at best too hard and skill switchy, at worst pure suicide, and most of the time both. To nearly all players she looks like some pityful creature that get one shotted and can't do anything without proper gear.
As someone autistic enough to play this build since sigma 1.0, muliple time, because it's my favorite by far, always solo self found, I will tell you the truth after starting 1.6 with yet another one : SHE STRONK.

Well I do agree that 1.0 were hard times, and understand perfectly her reputation. But after some very juicy buffs, especially 1.6 ones, she now is coming strong and definitly do not deserve that. The true piece in most people prejudgment is simultaneously my favorite part of nagisin and the point they can't get into ; There, indeed, is a lot of skills to use and know when to do so. You can't just spam the same skill from afar for the whole game and/or facetank everything, and have to choose them efficiently. This is a very active playstyle, meaning most death you will have often are errors in decision making or not reacting fast enough. If like me you like it that way, welcome, take your time in there.
As said Assassin have lots of tools. Apparently some call this build "piano sin" because of how many skills you have to use and switch to constently. I have good news for you : It's even worse than you think ! And by that I mean good ! This versatility is very satisfying, and while Naginata Assassin is nor the fastest farmer nor boss killer, she can do both exteremely well without respec, and clear every ubers on Solo Self Found gear. It does take some preparations and carefulness in some part, but by taking it slowly there's no real « wall » Nagi have to face, outside of very high lab of course (T13 onward is big rip for me). I'd even say she's hardcore viable, and I am completly serious.

I ended recording the entierety of my 1.6 SSF playthrough, so if you want to see anything, feel free to check whatever of the nearly 60h of content I uploaded (lol). It was a cool and fun run, it have some ugly part of course but I still loved playing it.

Anyway let's see what thoses tool are first, then in the walkthrough part I'll share my experiences, with videos, explanations, and gear recommandations.

SKILLS
What make assassin's skillplan interesting is that there is no lock. Unlike most others characters, we are free to put our points between every trees and we sure will.

Complete list of every useful skills and build details

► Show Spoiler

TLDR
► Show Spoiler

Stats

Straightforward : enough strength for gear, and max dex. The more base dex you have, the happier Laserblade will be, so get the more str you can from gear and charm. Ideally no base points should go there.

Breakpoints

► Show Spoiler

Simply put Halberd have better base attack speed but both Naginata and Halberd end up with 7 frame animation. As nagi have better base damage, you always want to stay with it in the end. Claw have faster casting than the others so it may be useful to cast things/summon edryem with it in very rare situations.

Walkthrough

Early game

Gear

► Show Spoiler

Early gameplay and Milestones

► Show Spoiler
Edited by Lynderika 3 weeks.
Lynderika
Thunder Beetle
54 | 16
Common Guide Badge

Dungeons and rifts

Gameplay and videos

► Show Spoiler
Edited by Lynderika 1 month.
Lynderika
Thunder Beetle
54 | 16
Common Guide Badge
Endgame Gear

► Show Spoiler

Crafting
► Show Spoiler

Mercenary

► Show Spoiler

d2 stats set up
► Show Spoiler

Afterword

I started sigma with this build, and am now stuck forever. I love Naginata Assassin, and hope I could transfer a little bit of my love to you, or even just make you reconsider the build strength. My ways may seem weird or even bad to most experienced players since I always played this game and tried to find solutions when stuck alone, with a naginata assassin approach only. Until this season at least, were for this guide purpose I tried to get the most information possible ; so I did some weird things like talking to people or playing multiplayer just to trade for the sole purpose of testing some items. But for every uber you see me destroying in a few second with broadside, know that behind that there's about 4 differents Naginata Assassin I starded since 1.0, with one billion death and problems with every new content I discovered. Now after the buffs, it's easier. Way easier. But I am aware still that this build is hard to get and even "mastered" (I'm very far from it and do billions of errors) this is not the best if all you want is the best possible TG gain per minute. Well actually I say that but I still don't know a thing or even care about what the meta is, or how others builds do. However there's one thing I can say for sure : if you want an unique and fun experience, with very dynamic gameplay, that can do all content, please try it.

I'm not an english native so if there's errors correct me please. I'd also like very much feedback in general, in videos descriptions or in there, or if I need to add something, if you have question, whatever. (but please at least read everything or ctrl+f before asking kek)
Thanks to everyone in discord who helped me when I ranted about Laz and Sam, or gave me knowledge in general. Thanks to everyone sharing their nagi experience there, directly to me, in showcases or whatever, all inputs are welcome so I can make this guide better.
I do not take responsability for any hand cramp, RSI, or any other hand problem you may encounter after playing this build too much.
► Show Spoiler
Lynderika
Thunder Beetle
54 | 16
Common Guide Badge
4th reserved post just in case
I will use this post for updates
► Show Spoiler
huangyunshy
Gravedigger
197 | 1
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
It's great. The most important thing is to have a video. Very good guide
oztor
Cog
202 | 5
Amazing build, great guide. 10 extra fingers required to play it though :-]
Maybe I'll give it a try one day.
akbugger
Bone Archer
78 | 2
Fwiw, I don't think nagisin needs nerfs. It rewards skilled gameplay, which is perfect.
Lynderika
Thunder Beetle
54 | 16
Common Guide Badge
huangyunshy wrote:It's great. The most important thing is to have a video. Very good guide

Thanks ! I also think so, to the point I ended recording litteraly(almost) everything, I wanted anyone to be able to check how I get to an uber, or whatever they want, even the shameful part of the run (I won't say exemples) or the multiple hour trophy farming. Putting my first clear of every ubers and commenting my gameplay where it's flimsy or not and sometimes putting better exemples is a good way to learn, I think.
My goal were more to share my nagi experience than creating a short and easy guide, I just wanted to hand out litteraly everything I know and think it worked, now we'll see if anyone's interested. I ended with litteraly about 50 hours of content to clear everything, I know it's too much but the goal is to take whatever you want from it.

oztor wrote:Amazing build, great guide. 10 extra fingers required to play it though :-]
Maybe I'll give it a try one day.

Can confirm 2 finger is enough, but damn the mouse hand hurt, it's impossible to farm for too long haha

akbugger wrote:Fwiw, I don't think nagisin needs nerfs. It rewards skilled gameplay, which is perfect.

I think it's fine right now too. More than nerfs I'd rework a few things, like giving more interactions with vampiric icon, some changes in barrier strike and crucify that would make them useful and worth investing point into, differents 1 and 2 charged batstrike, for exemple. Maybe the recent defense bonus from laserblade is slightly too much as it add yet another defensive layer, or some may argue getting litteraly free max res from subterfuge doesn't make any sense... It's fine right now, but I can see some changes. I just hope backstab stay the same, invulnerability is stupidly strong but I like very much the idea of having to choose between an offensive broadside use or keeping it for the right moment. I sure hope it doesn't become a simple broadside support.
Edited by Lynderika 2 months.
Wulf
Heretic
417 | 68
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
10/10 banner
akbugger
Bone Archer
78 | 2
I leveled up my nagisin to 110, but couldn't digest the Broadside skill. :( It feels to me as if I'm playing a trapsin rather than a naginata. I did use SSU with Broadside cooldown reduction, maybe I overused it a bit. (altough, seeing Akerat melting at lvl 110 in a single Broadside was rather epic - the first char who managed to kill him at that level).
Vampiric icon I'd rewamp completely. Assassin doesn't need it - you got Bloodbath from lvl1 to heal from packs.
Anyhow - really nice guide, t-up for taking time to write this.