Poison Whirlwind Barb; A Comprehensive Guide (with 135 uber gear)

Find a handful of guides and walkthroughs here!
User avatar
magz_
Bone Archer
78 | 35
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Jaunty wrote:Soooo am I supposed to be doing nearly no damage in A1? Following the leveling guide and it seems like I'm chipping at a brick wall with a sponge.

I do mention that snake stance is sucky in a1. Scaling changes in 2.0 kinda gimps the way it works. Get an innate ele throwing axe and use lion stance if you're stuck/don't have access to a flat poison damage item yet.
User avatar
azeriso
Rust Claw
81 | 1
Jaunty wrote:Soooo am I supposed to be doing nearly no damage in A1? Following the leveling guide and it seems like I'm chipping at a brick wall with a sponge.


u have unlimited reset stats/points until lvl 50 in act1 i leveled as i liked, then before lvl 50 switched to poison
User avatar
MeatSlinger3000
Thunder Beetle
51 | 3
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Currently leveling this build in Nightmare, & while I do enjoy it I've noticed that any form of chill/slow encountered renders the build borderline inoperable due to the underlying mechanics of Whirlwind.

Is this an issue for the build in endgame? Or is being a masochist just part of playing Whirlwind?
User avatar
Taem
Kraken Guard
2318 | 116
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
MeatSlinger3000 wrote:Currently leveling this build in Nightmare, & while I do enjoy it I've noticed that any form of chill/slow encountered renders the build borderline inoperable due to the underlying mechanics of Whirlwind.

Is this an issue for the build in endgame? Or is being a masochist just part of playing Whirlwind?


It's only really noticable in Triune. Other farming areas can hardly tell. Get a Pali friend to cast that Rapture clone spell (whatever it's called) on you. Really helps.
User avatar
magz_
Bone Archer
78 | 35
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
MeatSlinger3000 wrote:Currently leveling this build in Nightmare, & while I do enjoy it I've noticed that any form of chill/slow encountered renders the build borderline inoperable due to the underlying mechanics of Whirlwind.

Is this an issue for the build in endgame? Or is being a masochist just part of playing Whirlwind?


If you're talking about nightmare you're probably talking about a1 jail, which is an abysmal area. There are some spots you'll struggle with early but once you get to 125/130, have about 13-15k hp, capped resistances, freeze is less of an issue.
Hybridreamer
Stone Warrior
30 | 2
How is this build compared to a phys version of WW for example Wulf's guide
User avatar
magz_
Bone Archer
78 | 35
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Hybridreamer wrote:How is this build compared to a phys version of WW for example Wulf's guide

It's a matter of personal taste. Some people have told me they prefer this, others like to have more upfront damage. I think this variant is safer and doesn't require a separate single target skill.
Hybridreamer
Stone Warrior
30 | 2
magz_ wrote:
Hybridreamer wrote:How is this build compared to a phys version of WW for example Wulf's guide

It's a matter of personal taste. Some people have told me they prefer this, others like to have more upfront damage. I think this variant is safer and doesn't require a separate single target skill.


Thanks! Appreciate the reply!
IronMan
Cultist
24 | 0
Anybody found a good relic to use for this build yet
User avatar
magz_
Bone Archer
78 | 35
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
IronMan wrote:Anybody found a good relic to use for this build yet


Quickly pouring over the relics page, either some of the relics that give PSD, or xp if you go with Cain's. Nothing from the relics page is really a massive boost for us. Maybe some pierce if you need it, or otherwise anything supplementary like a proc that helps spread damage for clear. If I think of a good relic combo I'll definitely report back.