Core Lord
393 | 32
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
If you're new and trying to install Median (and maybe play on realm) you may have stumbled upon two other guides in this forum: this and this and you may be wondering what guide should you follow, and why.

The first of the linked guides was born to help players to install an utility called D2MultiRes, which lets you play Diablo II in resolutions different from the standard 640x480 or 800x600. D2MultiRes installation is notoriously finicky, especially when trying to use it alongside other tools.

The second of the linked guides is a video tutorial specifically aimed at joining "The Sin War" (Median's online realm) that while good is probably a bit too long and the form of video doesn't lend itself to quick skimming of information.

This guide instead attempts to provide quick, accessible instructions that cover the installation of the bare necessities to play the game on median's realm (called The Sin War). It does not attempt to replace the two guides above, but please note that D2MultiRes is forbidden on realm, so if you use it you will have to disable it when playing online, or you risk a ban.

Let's get started.

Installing the game

Step 1: Install Diablo II.
If you are running a Windows version later than 7 it's recommended to install the game outside the "Program Files" directory. Something like "C:\Games\Diablo II", for example, should work fine. If you are running Windows 7, Vista, or XP this shouldn't matter. It is recommended to update the game to version 1.13c (not 1.13d or later). For more information please read this topic and this topic.

Installing the mod

Step 2: Install D2SE modmanager.
Download D2SE here and install it. D2SE should automatically detect your Diablo II's install location; if it doesn't, you can manually select the correct install folder. D2SE will not modify any of Diablo II's original files, so it's completely safe. It will, however, add some files and folders inside your Diablo II installation folder. Of interest to us are the "MODS" folder and the "d2se.exe" executable.

Step 3: Download Median XL.
You can always get the latest version of Median here, but note that this guide was written specifically for versions of Median up to XVI.

Step 3b: Get Median's D2SE mod folder.
Since version XVI, MXL: Ultimative is no longer bundled with a D2SE mod folder. What this means is that you have to download this and extract the "Median XL" folder into the "MODS" folder insider your Diablo II directory. You can rename this folder to something more specific (I recommend it) like "Median XL XVI" or similar.

Step 4: Extract Median's files.
The rar file downloaded in step 3 contains, among other things, a "patch_d2.mpq" file. Extract this file inside the folder referred to in step 3b ("Median XL XVI", in this example).

Step 5: Configure d2se.exe
Inside your Diablo II folder right click on d2se.exe and change its properties so that it runs on XP service pack 3 compatibility mode, and set it so it always runs as administrator. If you can't find d2se.exe, make sure you installed D2SE as described in step 2.

Step 6: Check Median's installation.
Run D2SE from the shortcut it created on your desktop. Right in the center will be a list of Diablo II versions. Scroll this list to the bottom; you'll see a "Median XL" button. Click on this button once. If you don't see this button please make sure you followed the instructions in step 4. If you found the "Median XL" button and clicked on it, look under "Informations" on the right side of D2SE's window. Check the version: it must say "XVI" if you want to play online. If it doesn't say "XVI" please download the mod from the link provided in step 3.

Step 7: Make sure you have all the needed files in the Diablo II installation folder.
In the right part of D2SE's window — under "System Features" — there's a CD icon. It may be red or it may be green.
  • If it's green: congratulations! Go to step 8.
  • If it's red: click it. It will tell you that some files are missing from your Diablo II installation folder. Get those files from Diablo II's CDs and put them in its installation folder (typically you'll need to copy d2xmusic.mpq from the expansion disc).
    After copying the files close D2SE, launch it again and re-check the CD icon. If it's red click it again and see what files are missing. Keep doing this until the icon is green.

Step 8: Configure D2SE's options.
In D2SE's window, under "Dispaly Options", check the "-w Windowmode" checkbox and select either the "DDraw" or "Glide" radio button. DDraw may run faster, Glide usually looks better. You may wish to try both and see what works best for you. In some instances, disabling sound will make the game run smoother under Glide. You can check the "-ns disable Sound" checkbox to accomplish that.

Step 9: Launch Median.
With the "Median XL" button from the list selected (It should be already) click the "Start Plugin" button at the top-right of D2SE's window. Diablo II should start and you should see that the main menu is different from the standard Diablo II one. If you see the standard menu you probably forgot to click on Median XL's button like described in step 6.

At this point you should have a working modded Diablo II.

In the past it was possible to switch between playing Median XL or official Diablo II's realms (with the unmodded game, obviously) just by launching the game from different shortcuts. This is no longer possible since version 1.14a. If you want to be able to both play Median XL and on the official realms (with the unmodded game) you will have to have different Diablo II installations.
For more information please read this thread.

Enabling and joining The Sin War

Step 10: Enable "The Sin War" realm.
Close the game and download this file, then run it.
And that's it, setting up the real is that easy. You can now launch the game — as explained in step 9 — click on "The Sin War" button, and create your account and / or login.

Following the above steps I never got a persistent error. Sometimes the game may crash, freeze or error out, but those will be one-off errors or crashes.

Troubleshooting

Q: I get an error!
A: Reboot your PC and try again. No, seriously.

Q: I run the plugin from D2SE but nothing happens!
A: Make sure you set D2SE to run in Windows XP service pack 3 compatibility mode and to run as administrator, as explained in step 5.

Q: I still get an error!
A: Try reinstalling the mod (that is: re-extract the content of the rar file in the "MODS" folder) as explained in step 3 and then rebooting your PC. This solves most problems with the mod.

A: It could be that the mod download got corrupted. Try re-downloading the mod, reinstalling it and rebooting your PC.

A: Most errors are caused by joining the realm with the wrong version of the mod. Please really really make sure you're using the correct version: version XVI

A: Since version 1.14a Blizzard introduced some mod-breaking changes. Median should work on single-player with versions 1.14a and later (although with some relatively small glitches) but you can only play on The Sin War with Diablo II version 1.13c. You will get glitches, errors, crashes or strange behaviors if you play on realm with a version different from 1.13c.
Note that the last 1.13 patch is 1.13d. Those (1.13c and 1.13d) are different versions. You must use 1.13c to play on realm.

A: First make sure your standard Diablo II install works. If it doesn't the problem is not caused by the mod. If Diablo II works, then make sure you followed the above steps exactly; if you didn't, do it now. If you still get the error then ask in the forums but make sure to provide this information:
  • The error text, if it has one, and a brief description
  • What you were doing when the error happened
  • Whether the error happens only in multiplayer or also in singleplayer
  • Whether the error happens every time
  • Whether you are running the mod through D2SE or not (you should)
  • Any other relevant information you feel will help us help you

Thanks to WolfieeifloW for proofreading and sending me an enhanced version of the guide with better spelling and stuff.
Edited by Food 1 year.
suchbalance
Amazon Warrior
1621 | 348
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Common Skill Badge
Experienced Player
Great Contribution Badge
Is an active forum collaborator / developer
Great Mind Badge
A Median XL guru... a true book of knowledge
While I appreciate what you are trying to achieve here, your execution leaves a lot to be desired.

- First paragraph: this guide is meant for members outside of the community. Starting off your guide with random sarcastic nonsense only forum members will get is pointless.
- Installing stuff.
- You should be more helpful with the D2 installation, especially suggesting that people use an install dir outside of prog files due to win8/10 default security features.
- Why are you using arrows to further highlight links, which the forum already formats?
- TSW setup instructions should be under a separate heading. In fact the majority of first time players will not bother with it. Not to mention that TSW severely worsens the first time experience. What with everyone trying so hard to be "helpful" and shower newbies with free gear and tcowing and dumb "build advice", only setting them up to fail and quit in frustration.
- Random installation numbers/OS comment: nobody cares. Save that information for your tea parties.
- Troubleshooting: way too sarcastic to be useful.

In general there is a tasteless "elitist"/ironic tone throughout your post. Nowadays PC apps and games require very little windows/explorer interaction to get working, unlike 10 years ago. So it's no surprise that installing this mod can be challenging to some. I would suggest rewriting your prose to be more helpful and positive. Otherwise you have missed the point of your own guide.
Marco
Amazon Warrior
1602 | 921
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Sometime (hopefully soon), there will be an installation guide (with pics and such, so even monkeys can follow it) located at http://get.median-xl.com (which by the way, is the link to download the mod, ModDB links become outdated with new versions).

What I do appreciate though is people managing workarounds on specific errors and describe the solution exactly, so eventually a proper FAQ section can be added on that page too.
Somnus
Sand Maggot
1126 | 57
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Great Guide Badge
Marco wrote:Sometime (hopefully soon), there will be an installation guide (with pics and such, so even monkeys can follow it) located at http://get.median-xl.com (which by the way, is the link to download the mod, ModDB links become outdated with new versions).

What I do appreciate though is people managing workarounds on specific errors and describe the solution exactly, so eventually a proper FAQ section can be added on that page too.

Still waiting for it so I can add it to the bot commands. Yesterday we had problems with people installing it, and Food here just got mad (maybe) thats why the irony. As I said then, we cant expect people to know how to use the computer like we do, and the less we can do is try to explain it as simple as possible, but there are times that people just say ''still error'' and nothing else, maybe they dont know how to comunicate or whatever QQ
Edited by Somnus 2 years.
Somnus
Sand Maggot
1126 | 57
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Great Guide Badge
[quote
Food
Core Lord
393 | 32
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
suchbalance wrote:snip

Fixed instructions, removed sarcasm.

Also fixed mod download link to point to http://get.median-xl.com/

EDIT: The problem is that the instructions are now a wall of text, tough somewhat nicely formatted, which is exactly what I wanted to avoid. Whatever I guess.
Edited by Food 2 years.
Warren1001
Monkey King
282 | 10
Was my video on how to join TSW... forgotten? abandoned? not good? Does it need to be remade? *scratches head*
Food
Core Lord
393 | 32
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
The edited guide expains why I did this in the first part. No it wasn't forgotten or not good, I just wanted to provide a text format to the same info, basically.
Naabaanit
Tyrannus Discordus
300 | 23
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Question: what's that pointer-looking thing on my screen? I think it may be a virus.

Disclaimer: This was supposed to be posted when this was still funny.
mahitovec
Shadowgate Totem
1761 | 129
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Showcase Badge
Bored at work? Come watch my stream!
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Warren1001 wrote:Was my video on how to join TSW... forgotten? abandoned? not good? Does it need to be remade? *scratches head*

ppl want easy badges thats it :D dont worry