Old version player - help with identification and update

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.
thl
Prowler
18 | 1
Hello everyone,

I've been playing D2 every now and then, last year (IIRC) I installed MedianXL. The problem is, I cant remember which version that was or even if it was the last one (I suppose it was?).

I just noticed that I can't do the level 0 challenge, I figured out im on the wrong version that doesnt have it (nothing regarding cubing the info statue on its tooltip). I tried my best, but I cant find the version anywhere. The readme and the other docs dont specify it. This is what I see when I launch the game:

http://i.imgur.com/kGC9MfM.png

► Show Spoiler

Median XL by Brother Laz (2008)
The game version is 1.13d

This is all I know. I have a level 70ish character - not much, but I dont want to start from scratch.

Now my questions are: how old / which version is this?
What are the biggest changes between my version and the latest one (I tried reading changelog, didnt help me a lot)?
Is the last version backwards compatible? Can I just continue playing with my character as it is?

I tried searching, but since the old forums got 'archived' all the google links dont work and I have to load the cached versions of the threads. Navigation and searching in the old forum is also a bit weird and doesnt always work (often I just get redirected to the new forums index).

Regards!
:)
hellgrind
Mangler
458 | 21
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
First of all downgrade your diablo version to 1.13C (http://www.median-xl.com/oldforum.php Tools and info section >> [HowTo] Rollback from 1.13d (or any version))if you want to play on realm (multiplayer). Second you have super old version of the mod itself. At the top of the forum you have links to download and who to join to realm to play with other.
thl
Prowler
18 | 1
hellgrind wrote:First of all downgrade your diablo version to 1.13C (http://www.median-xl.com/oldforum.php Tools and info section >> [HowTo] Rollback from 1.13d (or any version))if you want to play on realm (multiplayer). Second you have super old version of the mod itself. At the top of the forum you have links to download and who to join to realm to play with other.

Yeah I figured out its really old, I dont know where I got it oh well.

Have there been big changes to the skill trees? I will ofc back everything up, but I hope that I can just reset skills and reassign the points. I prefer playing the old version than starting fresh :D

As for 1.13d - I noticed its not really compatible with other tools/mods which was a pita. I was just wondering how to transfer the level 5 charm when I realized I cant even get it :D other than that I didnt notice any differences, hopefully nothing game (save) breaking was introduced in the last several years :D
Gekko64
Shadowgate Totem
1728 | 102
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Common Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
when you create a new character you have a statuette that tells you what version you are playing
hellgrind
Mangler
458 | 21
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
After updating to the newest version of the mod you'll have to start fresh character because chars in older version are not compatible with new one.
thl
Prowler
18 | 1
Gekko64 wrote:when you create a new character you have a statuette that tells you what version you are playing

Hm it says v 004 .. its from 2012 apparently.

hellgrind wrote:After updating to the newest version of the mod you'll have to start fresh character because chars in older version are not compatible with new one.

Well fuck that. I mean ... this is really unfortunate (and expected). What are the "big differences" and whats the new stuff that got introduced over the course of the last (for example) 3 years? :( I really dont feel motivated to start from scratch.

I've been thinking about getting a new char, leveling it to ~70 and giving him similar items to the ones I have. Its a lot of work but im not starting from 0 :( I only play every now and then so its not viable.

Edit: And I dont know of any save editor that is compatible with the mod.
Edited by thl 8 years.
suchbalance
Team Member
1758 | 513
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Skill Badge
Experienced Player
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Great Mind Badge
A Median XL guru... a true book of knowledge
Getting to lvl70 is nothing. Once you become familliar with the game it can be done in a few hours. I advise you to upgrade to ultimative so you can be a part of the community, enjoy the extra content and get help for any questions you might have much more easily. Furthermore this will also allow you to join our online realm which is a lot of fun :)
thl
Prowler
18 | 1
suchbalance wrote:Getting to lvl70 is nothing. Once you become familliar with the game it can be done in a few hours. I advise you to upgrade to ultimative so you can be a part of the community, enjoy the extra content and get help for any questions you might have much more easily. Furthermore this will also allow you to join our online realm which is a lot of fun :)

I know it doesnt take long, but I only play during my time off when im on vacation and not at home on my pc. I have too many distractions there (other games) so there's no time for D2. I literally play 2-3 times a year for a week or two and my time this summer is quickly running out :(

Too bad :(

Edit: Lets assume I said "fuck it im starting over". I played fortress barb until now. Its strong, its easy/noob friendly and doesnt require much gear. But it didnt feel like a diablo 1/2/3 Barbarian at all.

Ive been reading through class guides, but basically I dont know what to play. I need something with low gear requirements and not TOO techy (but I dont mind a challenge, as long as the class/build is not item dependent). Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Edit 2: What I found reasonable for a starting character, is something that can run on TUs in most of its slots till at least mid game. This is how im geared right now and I find it good.
hellgrind
Mangler
458 | 21
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Traprat driud, fire/cold caster sorc, unholly caster palladin. All of them doesn't require super high-end gear to be good and they are quite simple to play.
thl
Prowler
18 | 1
hellgrind wrote:Traprat driud, fire/cold caster sorc, unholly caster palladin. All of them doesn't require super high-end gear to be good and they are quite simple to play.

Thanks a lot hellgrind! Now that I have direction I can start over quicklier. One last question - I think I will go for the paladin. I checked the guides in the old forums and im not quite sure I got "the right one".

Tantrumdin? Or potentially [v6d] WNG-din - The Unholy Caster? Its for an older version but it may be relevant.

Regards!