do you guys think that there are too many SU in median? (poll)

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.

are there too many sacred uniques in median xl?

yes
57%
no
33%
perfect amount
11%

Total votes: 46

shnurr214
Ice Clan
597 | 47
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Hey all,

was playing a bit last night and doing some toraja farming. I was looking through the docs to try to find a rw or su that could speed it up/buff up my edryems and help speed along the process. Thats when i started thinking HOLY SHIT this game has a lot of fucking items. I dont consider myself a new player at this point (been playing for over a year on and off now) but i still feel completely overwhelmed when looking at the list of su, additionally it seems like 80% of them are pretty bad or a noobtrap. I dont know maybe i just am not knowledgeable enough to know how to utilize every item but in my opinion it seems like we could cut the unique pool down by at least 30% and no one would even care. just my opinion want to get others feedback to see if im crazy or not :D thanks guys!
Gekko64
Shadowgate Totem
1728 | 102
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Common Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
ironically 30% less SU is exactly what will be in sigma
shnurr214
Ice Clan
597 | 47
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Gekko64 wrote:ironically 30% less SU is exactly what will be in sigma

oh awesome! :D so i guess at least marco agrees with my sentiment
RandomOnions
Sand Maggot
1148 | 50
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Hopefully some shitty ones will be remade
Crash
Madawc
6799 | 327
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
I think it's almost more of too many useless SUs. I've seen some weird builds where people made very uncommon, basic SUs work really well in a build, but there's an amount of them that have no use. But then again, a lot of these items were made a long time ago too when drop rates were way higher, so they almost needed more items to give a little diversity instead of just finding the best items every day, ya know?

But like Gekko said, Sigma is removing a lot of SUs and I think I read somewhere that they are reworking the TU system and making T4 the max? Dunno if they were just brainstorming or actually implementing, but yea.
Segolia
Djinn
541 | 38
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
I personally think it's fine. Considering the way the loot is compared to d2, I feel like the endgame item variety was needed badly. Look back at pre 2009, ignoring realm uniques. You had two uniques in an item base. You had the Tus, and then the Sus. When you see a unique drop you always know what it is.

Nowadays you hardly know what you'll get, apart from Tus*. "Oh man please be a dear esther/dtouch etc." It's nice seeing that unique on the ground and thinkibg that you might just be lucky today.

*In regards to Tus however, I've always dislike the system with them, specifically the ability to create and upgrade them. I personally prefer the older days of clod where you use what you get, and maybe you find something neat along the way. Farming for your best gear wouldnt be until much later. Right now it's a system of getting to 120 asap, then the fun begins. It gets old powergaming by farming meph and gris for crystals in sc/hc until I have the highest Tu rank gear I can equip, especially since I've been doing it for like... 7 years now .-.

I forget sometimes how time flies
UncleGrimjerk
Monkey King
268 | 31
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
I'm sorry but how can too many items be a problem? Are you being charged per item you pick up? Does it crush your will to live, when a brown item turns out not to be what you were hoping, to the point you have to seek therapy?

The upside of lots of different items is lots of different gearing possibilities. The downside is...........?

Sure there are some crappy SUs but, to quote Les Claypool, "They can't all be zingers."
AzureGladiator
Heretic
429 | 94
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Contest Badge
Has won a forum contest
UncleGrimjerk wrote:I'm sorry but how can too many items be a problem? Are you being charged per item you pick up? Does it crush your will to live, when a brown item turns out not to be what you were hoping, to the point you have to seek therapy?

The upside of lots of different items is lots of different gearing possibilities. The downside is...........?

Sure there are some crappy SUs but, to quote Les Claypool, "They can't all be zingers."

Exactly this! The more content, the better! If all sacred uniques were 100% useful, then what would give the excitement/gamble of identifying it? I believe that all uniques should be useful in one way or another, but only some of them should be 'the best'. I hope we see an increase in sacred uniques in the future!
shnurr214
Ice Clan
597 | 47
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
UncleGrimjerk wrote:I'm sorry but how can too many items be a problem? Are you being charged per item you pick up? Does it crush your will to live, when a brown item turns out not to be what you were hoping, to the point you have to seek therapy?

well i guess i have a different opinion on this than some people.. I am a designer professionally and i almost always like going with the philosophy that sometimes less is more. essentially if you have too many choices it kind dilutes the others and make them less interesting. why do we need 500 items if you can do all the same builds with 100. i suppose its an arguement of philosophy but other games have this problem as well imo. POE has tons of unique gear, "not as much as median but close" and you probably couldnt even find a niche use for 70% of the uniques in that game nowadays. i guess you need bad gear to make the good gear appear good and im totally down with that arguement but i just dont think we need so much of it. its a matter of scale to me i suppose.

like i said personal opinion thats why i made this poll since i like hearing others thoughts :D thanks for your input!
Fumbles
Tantrum changes fan
1412 | 183
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Guide Badge