New Realm Server

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.
nomercy4you
Invader
8 | 5
So we are thinking about upgrading the realm server because the current is now over 5 Years old.

I want to use this topic to collect some information and plans to move to the new server.

Planned new server (virtual):

2 Cores of an Intel® Xeon® E5-2680V4
6 GB RAM
320GB SAS HDD (we could also use 40gb SSD, but I think space is more important than speed?)

Q: Can we keep our IP Address?
A: Sadly not, the server will get a new IPv4 address

Q: What problems will the ip address change cause and how can they be solved?
A: Players will connect to the old realm if they don't read the forums. We can keep the old realm up for some months and provide information messages to switch to the new realm. We could switch to hostname instead of ip address for future use.

Q: Which operating system can we use?
A: I think we should use ubuntu or centOS. Any preferences?

Q: What needs to be done?
A:
- Rent server (nomercy)
- Install software (aahz?)
- Setup backup solution (nomercy, aahz can you sync too?)
- Copy realm data over (aahz?)
- Change all GS to new realm (aahz?)

Q: Which backup solution should we use?
A: I would like to use new btrfs partitions which supports snapshotting. I set up all my others server with this setup and is fast and powerful. I use btrbk programm which can also remote sync snapshots.

Q: Which partitions should the server have?
A:
/ -> obviously root partition (daily snapshots for 7 days)
/home/diablo -> D2GS (daily snapshots für 7 days)
/var/games/pvpgn -> PVPGN (hourly snapshots for 24h, daily snapshots for 7 days)
/var/lib/mysql -> MariaDB (daily snapshots für 7 days), DISABLE COW

Additionally I would like to sync all the snapshots to another backup server (or even two).

Open Questions:

Q: Shall we use a new version of pvpgn? (https://github.com/pvpgn/pvpgn-server) Does it run stable?
Q: Start diablo from a memory partition (tmpfs)? Script to copy it on startup?
Q: ???
aahz
Team Member
496 | 287
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
nomercy4you wrote:
2 Cores of an Intel® Xeon® E5-2680V4
6 GB RAM
320GB SAS HDD (we could also use 40gb SSD, but I think space is more important than speed?)

I'd say exactly the oposite is true - as long as there's D2GS CPU speed is the most important part
RAM - even 2GB would be enough
HDD - I don't know how much space is needed for brtfs snapshots, but without backups about 16GB is needed

nomercy4you wrote:Q: What problems will the ip address change cause and how can they be solved?
A: Players will connect to the old realm if they don't read the forums. We can keep the old realm up for some months and provide information messages to switch to the new realm. We could switch to hostname instead of ip address for future use.

Alsa we can tell players in advance to change their settings from IP to DNS

nomercy4you wrote:Q: Which operating system can we use?
A: I think we should use ubuntu or centOS. Any preferences?

I manage like 40 CentOS servers, 1 Debian, 1 (+ TSW) Arch , 1 Gentoo so for me it's definitely CentOS
Also it's important to try D2GS@Wine because I tried several distributions that didn't work (d2gs crashes after while)

nomercy4you wrote:Q: What needs to be done?
A:
- Rent server (nomercy)
- Install software (aahz?)
- Setup backup solution (nomercy, aahz can you sync too?)
- Copy realm data over (aahz?)
- Change all GS to new realm (aahz?)

I have no experience with brtfs, but I can learn... other than that I can easily do everything mentioned

nomercy4you wrote:Q: Which backup solution should we use?
A: I would like to use new btrfs partitions which supports snapshotting. I set up all my others server with this setup and is fast and powerful. I use btrbk programm which can also remote sync snapshots.

no experience...now I just backup needed conf&files

nomercy4you wrote:Q: Which partitions should the server have?
A:
/ -> obviously root partition (daily snapshots for 7 days)
/home/diablo -> D2GS (daily snapshots für 7 days)
/var/games/pvpgn -> PVPGN (hourly snapshots for 24h, daily snapshots for 7 days)
/var/lib/mysql -> MariaDB (daily snapshots für 7 days), DISABLE COW

seems ok, although /home/diablo doesn't need that snapshots (not much changes there)

nomercy4you wrote:Q: Shall we use a new version of pvpgn? (https://github.com/pvpgn/pvpgn-server) Does it run stable?
Q: Start diablo from a memory partition (tmpfs)? Script to copy it on startup?

we're discussing new pvpgn, but for now we stay with stable one
once we have GS select patch for new pvpgn (C++) we can test it and then upgrade

diablo from tmpfs it's not needed imo
https://tsw.vn.cz - TSW realm stats (& Quests, NotArmory, HC chars)
Marco
Team Member
1952 | 1347
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Multiplayer Badge
Has won a multiplayer contest
Median XL Team Member
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
few comments:

- since aahz finally got GS select patch to work on latest build, I think this is the best chance to update to newest pvpgn
- would it be possible for me to set the renting? so that I can link it to median's paypal and have it on auto-payment. That way, the servers will stay paid even if any of us dies (or whatever)
- we should be looking to move from ip -> dns asap. I guess we can use something like gateway.median-xl.com? Or do we use the origin domain of TSW site?
aahz
Team Member
496 | 287
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Median XL Team Member
new pvpgn is running on my test realm (still missing some patches for loggin IP, but that's not really important)

btw: I don't know why they removed changelog info, here's that previous: https://github.com/pvpgn/pvpgn-server/b ... /README.md

I tried creating test banner (see https://github.com/pvpgn/pvpgn-server/b ... banners.md ) but can't get it to work :/
aahz
Team Member
496 | 287
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Median XL Team Member
I figured out how to the banners...
you can even do animated banners with sound, rotate banners,etc...
I put simple banner on tsw realm
nomercy4you
Invader
8 | 5
Marco wrote:few comments:
- would it be possible for me to set the renting? so that I can link it to median's paypal and have it on auto-payment. That way, the servers will stay paid even if any of us dies (or whatever)

I guess so? At least I didn't see anything that you need an address in europe or something like that to rent a server there. And you can pay them with PayPal.
The next period of the realm server ends at 13.12.2016 and I have to cancel it at 12.11.2016 or we have to pay another three months.

Just let me know what you wanna do. If you need fast response write me an email: [email protected].
I will check the forums once a week at least if I do not forget it :)
aahz
Team Member
496 | 287
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Median XL Team Member
Marco wrote:we should be looking to move from ip -> dns asap. I guess we can use something like gateway.median-xl.com? Or do we use the origin domain of TSW site?

I think it doesn't matter what name we use - most of the player won't see it because they just download TSW2.reg or D2SE_SETUP.ini
other possibilities are: realm.median-xl.com or pvpgn.median-xl.com