SP vs. Realm

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.
Quirinus
Team Member
1510 | 184
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
also the new monster locations in the new ladder gives a breath of fresh air and it's a lot of fun from what I hear
"but if it's simple it's not that hard" - Quirinus 2017
"small things like this are not a big deal" - Quirinus 2017
Dragoness
Jungle Hunter
25 | 8
Common Contest Badge
Has won a forum contest
Personally I'd rather play singleplayer if it wasn't for the fact that THERE ARE NO COTWs IN IT!(and other, curiously enough, realm only features which make this game actually interesting). I enjoy the thrills for having a chance to find some uber cotw to make a nigh immortal character and 'break the game'. The two greatest setbacks why I'd prefer SP otherwise over realm play is that most of the items are way too easily accessible since trading is a thing and TG is not hard to make, I'm not going to argue about this since some people find it to be exactly the opposite, but this is my experience and because in realm there is this demon called latency which occasionally takes the controller from your hand when you're in the middle of an enemy pack with your hardcore nagisin.
I'm the kind of a player who simply can't play a game where all of the content is not accessible, curse you realm only items.
Anonymous:
Memelistas
2975 | 437
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
There are cotws in SP. I have 3 of them
Quirinus
Team Member
1510 | 184
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Median XL Team Member
Dragoness wrote:Personally I'd rather play singleplayer if it wasn't for the fact that THERE ARE NO COTWs IN IT!(and other, curiously enough, realm only features which make this game actually interesting). I enjoy the thrills for having a chance to find some uber cotw to make a nigh immortal character and 'break the game'. The two greatest setbacks why I'd prefer SP otherwise over realm play is that most of the items are way too easily accessible since trading is a thing and TG is not hard to make, I'm not going to argue about this since some people find it to be exactly the opposite, but this is my experience and because in realm there is this demon called latency which occasionally takes the controller from your hand when you're in the middle of an enemy pack with your hardcore nagisin.
I'm the kind of a player who simply can't play a game where all of the content is not accessible, curse you realm only items.

actually, there are cotws in SP.
the only difference is that there are more of them on realm (more skills included).
"but if it's simple it's not that hard" - Quirinus 2017
"small things like this are not a big deal" - Quirinus 2017
void
Shadowgate Totem
1771 | 97
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
(realm)
>can help each other (including strangers)
>friendlist
>noobs reacting to
The Creep
:D
>silly talk
>trading (the trading itself: looking for auctions, checking out N/O lists etc)
>farming is almost always worth something
>str/dex bug
>realm patch changes this ladder

(sp)
>no desync or connection drops (got 64kbps net atm, and on realm in dense areas/ubers or when someone in my party has many minions i freeze or lose connection a lot and it sucks)
>plugy, SP-only tools
>what you find it what you get (double-edged sword: takes long to find everything, but once you have it, you keep it, and can export it into the new patch folder)
>/players x command
>dont need internet to play
ChuckNoRis
Flying Polar Buffalo
3006 | 81
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
I prefer SP for the following reasons :

1. there is no latency problem , i can run the game smooth . i often play at the edge of surviving/taking high risks so problems like "lag" are not acceptable.
2. i don't need to share the loot . if i find a nice SU , it belongs to me , not to who picks it up first or whatever rule you make with those you play with
3. i can have a big stash to store all the usefull things i find/i craft (plugy) . I can acces this stash with any character to get the desired items when needed , instead of complete wipeouts every 2 or 3 months that will make you start over with your farming
4. i believe that if the game is designed that way that you can beat it by youreself , there's no need for a team to make it easyer for you , it would be like like playing in "easy-mode" (you farm /players 8 anyway by youreself ). i prefer all the glory for myself when i get the charms /find something rare/etherial
5. if i don't have time to do re-runs in certain places , i can save precious time by duping the items i need / consumables as arcane crystals / signets . this way i can have strong builds in very short time , instead of investing many days into endless farming (even if the drop rates are a bit better in SP) . i used to farm like a no-lifer some years ago , untill i had what i wanted , i know what that is all about and what time would it take to get "x" or "y" , but no more . my gaming time is short , so for me SP (duping) is the only way to go . My real life and job no longer allow 10+ hours/day free time to play
6. i don't need a ladder to tell me that i'm good at what i do . i can get all charms without much pain in the ass because i know how the game works/what strategy to take , things learned during my almost 10 years of experience with Median . there's no competition . i just play this game/other games to relax after work .

@no.5 this also allows me to play a large variety of builds and put new ideas to the test in real time . if they prove themselves worthy of something , i play the build again from zero to finish and if it's all ok , after all adjustments are made , a new miniguide comes out and i add it to the compilation, so others may try the build too .

i don't believe that during this life i'll have enough reasons to play on realm . i can live without realm-only content just fine

Stealthmaster wrote:and rejoin feature .
you can have that in SP too since forever . you can open multiple instances of the game and join lan game with another character to abuse of the same thing .
Jammy
Mangler
480 | 126
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Median XL Team Member
ChuckNoRis wrote:
► Show Spoiler

All of this. Especially the low drop-rates and the endless farming to find good items, and the ladder resets. Have zero interest in "racing" to 120, rather get there the proper way by walking. And it's frustrating when all my items go poof in three months for reset (because they took FOREVER to find because of low drop-rates) or now, become worthless because new ladder has started and no one is playing non-ladder. Nn. So, I also prefer SP and only play MP because a certain someone wants me to. (-:
Marco
Team Member
1952 | 1347
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Multiplayer Badge
Has won a multiplayer contest
Median XL Team Member
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Still the "ladder reset deletes all my items" arguments seem a bit trivial...

One month should be enough to fully gear and complete at least one character even for someone that players very casually. And you get three months which not only means you can get to enjoy that character but also make others if you wish (or play even at a slower pace). And then, it starts over.

That's like the most basic concept when it comes to games, starting over. Imagine if someone would dislike age of empires because they need to rebuild their town on every new game. That's the friggin point. I know some would argue that the analogy is bad because this game is an ARPG - but doesn't twinking remove the whole RPG aspect in the first place?
Gekko64
Shadowgate Totem
1728 | 102
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
is there going to be non-ladder characters in sigma as well? if it's there from the start it might actually develop a decent following
Firien
Jungle Hunter
29 | 3
I play SP because
Marco wrote:One month should be enough to fully gear and complete at least one character even for someone that players very casually.
isn't true for noobs