[MXLS] Charms Overhaul

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.
Italianpower
Acid Prince
45 | 3
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Hmmm... 1 item that contains every charm would be pointless imo, I prefer to have 12931923 charms in my inventory..
I agree on balancing the charms, and the game, so one isn't forced to farm charms to make gear, and farm gear to make charms.
But please, keep the various strategies for the bosses, spamming 1 skill to kill all the bosses isn't fun, but avoiding certain skills, using different skills that combined can do something IS good.
Somnus
Joyboy
1336 | 126
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Great Showcase Badge
Bored at work? Come watch my stream!
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
IMHO

I believe with that patch-balance new people will be able to play without having to memorize the complete docs, as you said. Thats a good thing, becasue new players dont even know about challenges/ubers/items or even the docs! So, removing some charms/balancing them and balancing the game will add a much better and smooth game. I'm so excited that I CANT wait for playing this shit. Early runewords --> Crafting --> PEWPEW!

[spoil=P.S]In fact, this patch is what Median needs, because the max sprites, dc's etc caused by the old engine makes this game laggy, ''sloppy'', hard to play and almost impossible to master for newbies.[/spoil]
suchbalance
Team Member
1758 | 513
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Skill Badge
Experienced Player
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Great Mind Badge
A Median XL guru... a true book of knowledge
Well since I already knew this was coming I guess I'll say it again: this is a fucking great idea (if you'll pardon my French).

Stats like flat & % attributes, resists and + skills are the biggest offenders on the charms in my opinion. Since you already covered these in your example my only hope is that the gap in the "All skills" rewards and the "All skills + class skills" levels will be lowered significantly. I think oskills are a great feature of the game and having them being at least 8 levels lower by default (13 if paladin) is a pity. For example the sorceress has great tools on her tree to support oskill builds, but none are popular right now for that reason (among others).

I hope that after all is said and done with the patch, the overall game difficulty will still be high. That is one of the main attractions of median - challenge is fun. The best approach to take, in my opinion, would be to actually "undernerf" the monsters on release. So releasing the game with slightly stronger monsters overall than originally planned. This is because of the whole "negative bias" aspect. If it turns out that this is a good balance level - great. If, on the other hand, you have to adjust monsters to be slightly easier a few months after release it won't cause any community drama as buffing the players is seen as a positive outcome. Alternatively if the patch is released "overnerfed" and monsters have to be toughened in a few months to prevent facerolling there will be unnecessary drama in the community as it makes players weaker because you, in a way, reset their achievement capabilities and it is a negative effect.

That being said Marco wouldn't have come up with such great balance changes/paradigm shifts if he didn't already realise how to execute them properly, so I believe he will make mxl2016 really something special.

PS. the "high numbers" paragraph does not read correctly. You make it sound as if high damage numbers cause sprite limits/disconnects when those are only a function of skill mechanics, creature density on screen and procs.
Texalic
Grubber
333 | 23
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
I play single player only and I don't mind those changes, actually I really like the idea.

Can't wait for it.

:thumb:
Somnus
Joyboy
1336 | 126
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Great Showcase Badge
Great Guide Badge
► Show Spoiler

We can always summon 10 Volrath on HC for a more challenging game.
void
Shadowgate Totem
1771 | 97
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Somnus wrote:We can always summon 10 Volrath on HC for a more challenging game.

So you DO admit it's difficult! ;) ;)
Somnus
Joyboy
1336 | 126
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Great Showcase Badge
Great Guide Badge
void wrote:
Somnus wrote:We can always summon 10 Volrath on HC for a more challenging game.

So you DO admit it's difficult! ;) ;)

No, I didnt said difficult. I said ''more challenging'' :)
void
Shadowgate Totem
1771 | 97
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Somnus wrote:No, I didnt said difficult. I said ''more challenging'' :)

More challenging because it's difficult. Kappa

I like this update. Looking forward for some screenshots. :)
Jaedong
Detonator
792 | 56
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Marco wrote: old content will be modified so that more builds and items become viable

Discuss!

this sentence especially makes me very happy
guess i havent said that quiet often, especially not as often as it would be deserved so i say it again
thanks
Heathen
Sucks at guitar!
803 | 61
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
I love every single aspect of this idea, and feel it will make the mod SO much more accessible, INCREASE build variety, INCREASE content, and fully improve existing content. Fucking bravo, Marco.