A New Chapter for Median XL

Game news and forum updates
Mr_Bill
Designated Troll
87 | 3
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Diaco wrote:One of the main components of a copyright lawsuit requires the demonstration of a "market replacement", which means that the potentially infringing product is taking a piece of the market that would normally go to the "original" product. In this case this would obviously not be the case, since you necessarily have to buy D2 in order to play Median. This COULD become a concern in the future if Median becomes a standalone product which doesn't require D2 to play, but in its current state I'd say there's no danger.

There you go again, "talking common sense" (you really should learn to avoid doing this, when talking about "copyright"). Even though all the points you made are 100% true and valid, all that Blizzard's corporate lawyers have to do, is to convince a jury of rural residents in the East District of Texas Federal Courts that "them weirdo, long-haired 'Median' hackers is 'stealin'' Blizzard's hard-earned money by 'piratin'' its games" and it's "game over, man".

Remember that we are talking about people who never got past Grade 3 in elementary school; they still can't figure out how to get the "12:00" indicator from flashing back and forth on their VCRs and DVD players. If they have a computer the only thing they know how to use on it, is the "on" button on the front of the PC. They are also the ones who always click the "YOU HAVE WON A PRIZE!" pop-up on their Windows XP computers (in 2024) and then dutifully enter their bank account numbers at the second prompt. Trust me -- I have literally decades of experience with trying to fix computers for this kind of "citizen".

THESE are the people who will decide if Median is allowed to survive. Think of what's about to happen to TikTok, and then ask yourself what the chances are for some "mod" of a game owned by a large, predatory corporation. I hope I'm wrong, but history says I'm right.
Diaco
Void Archon
884 | 43
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
that's nice and all but that's just not how it works. If that were the case mods would not exist at all. Blizzard has nothing to gain here. They are about making money about anything else, and that would just be paying legal costs for literally zero benefit... but whatever, this is all just wild speculation anyways
PitStains
Balrog
124 | 5
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Mr_Bill wrote:
Diaco wrote:One of the main components of a copyright lawsuit requires the demonstration of a "market replacement", which means that the potentially infringing product is taking a piece of the market that would normally go to the "original" product. In this case this would obviously not be the case, since you necessarily have to buy D2 in order to play Median. This COULD become a concern in the future if Median becomes a standalone product which doesn't require D2 to play, but in its current state I'd say there's no danger.

There you go again, "talking common sense" (you really should learn to avoid doing this, when talking about "copyright"). Even though all the points you made are 100% true and valid, all that Blizzard's corporate lawyers have to do, is to convince a jury of rural residents in the East District of Texas Federal Courts that "them weirdo, long-haired 'Median' hackers is 'stealin'' Blizzard's hard-earned money by 'piratin'' its games" and it's "game over, man".

Remember that we are talking about people who never got past Grade 3 in elementary school; they still can't figure out how to get the "12:00" indicator from flashing back and forth on their VCRs and DVD players. If they have a computer the only thing they know how to use on it, is the "on" button on the front of the PC. They are also the ones who always click the "YOU HAVE WON A PRIZE!" pop-up on their Windows XP computers (in 2024) and then dutifully enter their bank account numbers at the second prompt. Trust me -- I have literally decades of experience with trying to fix computers for this kind of "citizen".

THESE are the people who will decide if Median is allowed to survive. Think of what's about to happen to TikTok, and then ask yourself what the chances are for some "mod" of a game owned by a large, predatory corporation. I hope I'm wrong, but history says I'm right.

If Blizzard wanted to shut down MXL with a copyright battle, it wouldn't even make it to court. I love MXL, but I don't think any of the admins/devs/owners would take it to court when you consider it would probably take millions of dollars to fight Blizzard in court.

Not sure why you hate Texans so much lol. You should try to put that hate into something productive.
AGsniper
Sasquatch
65 | 3
Mr_Bill wrote:

Youre angry. We get it.
Zoobedy
Stone Warrior
32 | 7
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Mr_Bill wrote:

Is this Bill Cipher from the DMT Nexus?
footprint_pipp
Stygian Watcher
41 | 3
This is great news. Happy to hear that the true GOATs of the ARPG genre are taking the next step. You guys shaped this genre and defined key aspects that are copied by all competition since almost 2 decades. Looking forward to continue supporting you. :clap:
Vanngancabg
Sasquatch
68 | 0
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
I'm looking forward to a version like the d2r mxl :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Siosilvar
Cow Ninja
1223 | 265
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Vanngancabg wrote:I'm looking forward to a version like the d2r mxl :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

d2r is never going to happen. no multiplayer, no code edits, 3d modeling... if standalone is on the table that's not really that much more effort than a d2r mod would be and will be an infinitely better dev & player experience
Thesamman23
Skeleton
2 | 1
this sounds sick, can't wait to see your new creations :flip: :bounce: (-:
Thesamman23
Skeleton
2 | 1
Siosilvar wrote:
Vanngancabg wrote:I'm looking forward to a version like the d2r mxl :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

d2r is never going to happen. no multiplayer, no code edits, 3d modeling... if standalone is on the table that's not really that much more effort than a d2r mod would be and will be an infinitely better dev & player experience

the fact that mod support sucks so much on a remake of a game that is only alive today because of mods is insane. d2 is great on its own but if we didn't have mods the d2 community would be way smaller than it is