MXL Sigma: Screenshot Thread

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.
Gekko64
Shadowgate Totem
1728 | 102
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
with corpse respawning in town they've become quite abusable :D
Anonymous:
Memelistas
2974 | 437
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
This gives you time to contemplait about the meaning of life and/or 10 pushups each time you die.

I hope this timer > timer it takes for boss to heal to full hp.
Unda
Onyx Knight
621 | 23
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
whist wrote:
tarrasqueSorcerer wrote:What is the point of this?

5 seconds delay after dying. As a trade-off, most death penalties will be removed or nerfed down.

So you saying that death penalty in Tetris will be more cruel than in Median?
HechtHeftig
I paid 10$ for this.
2452 | 190
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Alright. Now post a screenshot of what the deal with you guys and blizzard is about.
RequiemLux
Sand Maggot
1125 | 288
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
whist wrote:
tarrasqueSorcerer wrote:What is the point of this?

5 seconds delay after dying. As a trade-off, most death penalties will be removed or nerfed down.

As it stands right now I don't like this idea, and I agree with Nitz, it's just annoying. I think it would make more sense if this penalty starts at 0s and keeps adding +1s every time you die in a set amount of time since the first death, and if you manage to survive in that time the penalty simply revert to 0s. Right now, in my opinion, with a fixed amount of time for every circumstance it's not worth implementing it. There are times when you just want to get back asap in the action and, if you die for a honest mistake or a unfair mechanic in the mod, the 5s delay won't give you a reason to cool-off or analyze the situation but just get frustrated or in the worst scenario ragequit.
Gekko64
Shadowgate Totem
1728 | 102
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
sigma: you need to wait 5 seconds and then-

mxl players: REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Nitz
Harpylisk
1476 | 57
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Gekko64 wrote:mxl players: REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

It's no good design and shouts artificial difficulty!. The ubers don't get harder or more interesting, the game just gets more frustrating.

For example Baal - bad design would be "up his HP and damage by 1000%" good design how he is at the moment, summons new bosses that make him immortal...

Bad design is "there you go 5 second death penalty for everyone" good design "look at that fucking uber boss you need to be swift on your feet and avoid these projectiles while dashing out as much damage as possible in this short time window after he uses that one spell"

The death in diablo where you had to pick up your corspe was called ghost mode. Now if you died, the game went black and white, you become a ghost like character with certain spells and there are certain ghost hunt mobs you have to avoid/distract/kill to get to your corpse. That would add a whole new element and is actually interesting. Staring at the screen for 5 seconds adds literally nothing.
Gekko64
Shadowgate Totem
1728 | 102
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
well tons of games use that method, but I do agree making it start low and get progressively higher if you keep chaindying sounds better, as long as there's a cap
Marco
Team Member
1952 | 1347
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Multiplayer Badge
Has won a multiplayer contest
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Nitz wrote:design

The good old "do you even design" posts :lol: If you want to talk design the first thing you have to do is put things in context. If you think this feature is about adding "artifficial difficulty" you are completely missing the point by the way. I will do admit it was dumb posting the screenshot with no context at all - it's our duty to provide it, so here are my main points:

- This is intended to replace the current death penalties (gold / experience)
- Gold penalty did not provide anything interesting for gameplay - it also made people not cba to use mercs.
- Experience penalty made the whole getting to 121 really awkward with cows and stuff. You had to get to 120, get a certain amount of charms, then commit to dcowing and only dcowing all the way to 121. Not a lot of fun.
- 5s death timer is fucking negligible penalty if you compare to loss of corpse + gold + exp in prev patches. Not sure what the fuss is about.
- You're thinking about how annoying ubering will be with death timer. But tons of ubers will be reworked to be beaten deathless. Lookup "Boss Events" feature for sigma.
- The timer makes death cheesing much less time-efficient strategy. And that's a good thing.

But more than anything the biggest points in favor of this change are the boss events + the fact that this replaces existing death penalties.
Solfege
Harpylisk
1461 | 209
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
The timered respawn thing is basically already in effect. You die, spend 1-2 seconds trying to click on your corpse behind the TP in town, 1-2 seconds restocking your belt, and another 5-7 seconds resummoning and rebuffing.

I like the idea of a short, interactive sequence before you can get back to the action. Original Prey FPS had something like this in the form of a timered mini-game. You went to the Spirit World where you had a short time (maybe 10s) to kill as many evil spirits as you could with your basic spirit bow. Each spirit you killed gave you a small amount of HP back before you respawned in place. The better you got at it, the better off you'd be when you revived. Gave a bit of extra challenge without feeling like you were being punished for maybe trying something different that just didn't work out.

Nobody likes death penalties, but they need to exist. Otherwise death has no consequence. But it should stop your progression, not reverse it. And it shouldn't be a barrier to experimentation.