Do you even open chests?

Discuss Median XL!

Do you even open chests?

Am I out of my mind?
18%
Of course because I'm greedy.
33%
Only in hatred and nightmare for the additional gold.
10%
Only when I'm bored.
38%

Total votes: 125

Maphyr
Thunder Beetle
51 | 1
Every chest, dead body, skeleton, casket, barrel, hollow log, corpse. I wish they would allow the white dots on minimap to show them all.

Found a Shako in a barrel like 15 years ago and ever since then I've been cursed with the need to click all the things.

Paid off in MXL a few days ago when I found a Beads of the Snake Queen from a casket.
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1457 | 64
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Opening chests in normal and nightmare is actually a great source of gold for those honorifics.
Crash
Madawc
6801 | 329
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
They share the same loot table as any monster in the area you're in, as far as I'm aware. Basically a free kill and chance for an item. You just don't see people doing it in farming videos because stopping to open everything diminishes their clear speed.
ParticuLarry
Ice Clan
558 | 60
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Crash wrote:They share the same loot table as any monster in the area you're in, as far as I'm aware. Basically a free kill and chance for an item. You just don't see people doing it in farming videos because stopping to open everything diminishes their clear speed.

Thank you. That makes sense. I'd love to give you a thumbs up, but it seems I can't do that anymore.
SwineFlu
Heretic
402 | 53
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Nope, chests/barrels/bodies/etc have their own hardcoded TC group, nothing was changed there if you compare it to vanilla d2. The way how the proper treasure class decided is pretty dumb, TC upgrade is not a thing either, best you can get is drop from the class Chest C depending on your current Difficulty Level and Act Id.
Crash
Madawc
6801 | 329
Great Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
SwineFlu wrote:Nope, chests/barrels/bodies/etc have their own hardcoded TC group, nothing was changed there if you compare it to vanilla d2. The way how the proper treasure class decided is pretty dumb, TC upgrade is not a thing either, best you can get is drop from the class Chest C depending on your current Difficulty Level and Act Id.

idk what that meant, but i've pulled SSU's off armor racks in Duncraig, so maybe its alvl dependent?
SwineFlu
Heretic
402 | 53
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Crash wrote:idk what that meant, but i've pulled SSU's off armor racks in Duncraig, so maybe its alvl dependent?

My point was that hardcoded Chest TC group has nothing to do with the area specific drop, you can't pull out Elemental Essence from Teganze or Cycle from the Triune and there is no sacred items bias if you open the chest in Duncraig. Weapon Racks and Armor Stands is a completely different case, they have their own item selection routines and it's a complete mess, don't even get me started on that. The only thing I should mention is that Item Level for this particular case would be equal to Area Level - 1, so for example it's impossible to get Tyrones from Armor Rack in Bremmtown or Fauztinville. And just to make it clear, you can't get it from the chest in there but for completely different reason, Ancient Armor has quality level equal to 90 and qlvl is limited to 87 for the best possible Chest TC.
nick1358
Bone Archer
79 | 4
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
I'm a simple man.

If the barrel, corpse, chest or whatever is on my route, i click them. I don't go out of my own way to open them.
That being said, i did get a cotw and several su/ssus in the past from these.
Crash
Madawc
6801 | 329
Great Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
SwineFlu wrote:
Crash wrote:idk what that meant, but i've pulled SSU's off armor racks in Duncraig, so maybe its alvl dependent?

My point was that hardcoded Chest TC group has nothing to do with the area specific drop, you can't pull out Elemental Essence from Teganze or Cycle from the Triune and there is no sacred items bias if you open the chest in Duncraig. Weapon Racks and Armor Stands is a completely different case, they have their own item selection routines and it's a complete mess, don't even get me started on that. The only thing I should mention is that Item Level for this particular case would be equal to Area Level - 1, so for example it's impossible to get Tyrones from Armor Rack in Bremmtown or Fauztinville. And just to make it clear, you can't get it from the chest in there but for completely different reason, Ancient Armor has quality level equal to 90 and qlvl is limited to 87 for the best possible Chest TC.

Useful food for thought, thank you as always. I knew essences and such couldn't drop cause those are special drops (forgive me if not technically correct, taht's just hwo it makes sense in my head).

Appreciate the explanation