Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Thid is arpg, not rpg. Randomness is point of the gsme.
HeaT_
Rust Claw
88 | 5
Jampula wrote:Thid is arpg, not rpg. Randomness is point of the gsme.

this is kind of a meaningless statement, what does it mean? according to who? like the point is to be gated out of content purely based on luck?

it's a facet of the genre, but it being "the point" is subjective. also, factually it's questionable, because then why have any deterministic elements?

i think most people's problem, especially those who don't like to trade (which is an external subsystem of the game but seems to have a big impact and design implications) is the magnitude and reasonableness of the randomness.
Im_a_ninja
Core Lord
386 | 40
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
I would bring back Brad...

He was fun :-)
RequiemLux
Sand Maggot
1126 | 289
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Somnus wrote:LC0 == 17 volrath spinning in a circle..

I dislike the concept of missable LC a lot and Volrath in itself wasn't too interesting of a design, so definitely not a fan of that content, but ngl that stream when you attempted to summon as many as possible was quite entertaining.

Marrt wrote:
Opgedronken wrote:It was more of a joke, but still it is kind of pay to win from what i'm reading.
In any case the timer lockouts have caused my frustration bucket to fill again, so I guess that's it for this run. I guess I might be back next year. It would be cool if someone did a hard fork of the mod, but it would be difficult to rebalance, because it's more or less balanced around lockouts now.

It's balanced around the ability to die infinitely many times in a limited amount of time, whereas it should be balanced around bosses healing and you dying a low amount of times in an infinite time window. The first one is a corpse rush, the second forces dodging abilities.

I too am not a fan of lockouts but if I'm not misremembering there are some limitations that do not allow for every boss to heal upon killing the player and only the player in many situations, or something similar.

Opgedronken wrote:Why did reanimates get scrapped anyway? It was one of my favourite features, although usually not really adding much, it was still fun to have random monsters tanking instead of lame undead.

Actually a big "reanimations rework" was supposed to happen during 2.0 dev cycle, but ultimately it got postponed indefinitely because of lack of time and a few limitations. It's still on our backlog tho, and reanimates got gutted, so it should happen in the future because as of now reanimates are basically pointless and there was the intention of reworking them in some capacity.

Jampula wrote:Thid is arpg, not rpg. Randomness is point of the gsme.

This is completely untrue. Maybe you're confusing aRPG with something more akin to a Roguelike/Rogue-lite or similar genres in which a set amount of randomness is to be expected (be it level generation, loot or whatnot). While it's accurate to state that the RNG toll is quite hefty in the Diablo's formula by design, that doesn't translate at all to the whole genre not even in the slightest. Furthermore imho mxl could really use less RNG, but that would need some unspecified additional core work (like for example having custom chests which are not monsters in disguise actually drop deterministic loot and so on).
paolo12
Cog
215 | 19
Im_a_ninja wrote:I would bring back Brad...

He was fun :-)

Legend has it if you'll say The Name 666 times playing sewers lvl 2 - he'll come back :twisted:
PitStains
Balrog
129 | 6
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
What would bring me back?: That's a really easy questions to answer: Ladder resets, quality of life improvements, new builds. Most importantly, it depends on if the ladder resets aligns with the free time I have in life.

The harder question I think you should be asking is: What would keep you playing MXL longer?: I feel like I've given my $.02 on that topic a couple times on the forum already.
    1. The feeling of progression feels amazing until around 120 or 130 depending on the build you choose. Maybe it feels good till about ~145 if you choose a meta build. So, make the feeling of progression better from 120-140 for the non-meta builds; maybe add some more progression options at the end game. Beyond trophy farming, there's pretty much zero progression once you hit about 140 with your gear.
    2. When I do make it to level 140+ (a few times only), give me something to do with all the SU/SSU's and Sets beyond turning them into Crystals or Sigs. Let me turn 5x SU's into a SSU, or 5 SSU's into a SSSU. Let me turn Set items into something more useful than Sigs after I have eaten 400. Maybe create Sigs of Magic find; each Sig of MF grants 1% up to 50%. Or a Sig of Move speed, same thing, 1% up to 50%.
    3. Even though this is a mostly solo game online, I have found that when there's lots of chat, active games, etc. I play longer. Allow people to party up without such a huge increase in monster health. Try to make it social to keep people around after they're done min/maxing.
    4. Give me some "twink" item to make leveling up easier once I've killed Baal once. Something that gives a new character massive +move speed and +exp gain up to level 100, then nothing after level 100. This would allow me to roll another character (or 2) per season, keeping me playing longer.
    5. As a new player, the game is overwhelming. You have to reference on the forums, the game guide, Discord, etc. otherwise you're lost. Somehow make the "new player experience" better. I bet >50% of players try 1 season, and never return.
Just some idea, not sure if any are realistic.
shrimp
Son of Lucion
700 | 14
___imortal grave mumy open :wall:
Baler
Dark Huntress
14 | 0
Every season I see builds tweaked/buffed I come back to enjoy them.

buffing lower performing builds with arbitrary numbers is attractive to me. O-)
Semigloss
Onyx Knight
602 | 26
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Higher proc chances.
Trang Oul
Jungle Hunter
29 | 1
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
PitStains wrote:3. Even though this is a mostly solo game online, I have found that when there's lots of chat, active games, etc. I play longer. Allow people to party up without such a huge increase in monster health. Try to make it social to keep people around after they're done min/maxing.

If disabling/turning down party scaling is not possible for technical reasons, maybe give us some ubers with mechanics that require co-operation. Ideally of different classes or at least builds. Like in good old MMORPGs, where you won't stand a chance solo.