I can't play in 600ms PING. Does WTFast or any other services like it work?

Need help installing the mod?
dongpickle
Stygian Watcher
40 | 2
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
I just started last week and boy was I missing out. At times, I feel like 12 hours has gone by in a flash and find myself lacking sleep.

That said, I live in Korea and I can't play online with 600-650ms ping. Vietnamese server, Australia server it hardly makes a difference. And I saw the latest thread about voting for new servers and Korea or any asian continent for that reason was not even in the list. For now, I'm opting to play in single player mod just exploring the depth of the game.

When the new patch comes up I plan to play online and want to know if there are any third-party services that would reduce the lag at least down to 300ms zone.

Anyone?
Wotan
Astral Guardian
1926 | 159
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Have you tried any of the other regions? Like North America servers? I know one guy who was playing from Japan on NA servers and even Europe and never complained about lag.
dongpickle
Stygian Watcher
40 | 2
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Yep! Went through the list. 2 days ago was especially bad with lots of rubberbanding. Just wanting to see if it's possible to reduce ping by using some services.. if anyone can give me insight.
Sarnith
Dark Huntress
10 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
I've had this a couple of times - it was really random and odd. I logged out waited a few minutes and logged back in. Game created and off I went. Though it still happens from time to time, but seems to vary based on the server I get connected to when I make a game.
dongpickle
Stygian Watcher
40 | 2
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
In case anyone was wondering, I tried wtfast after this post. a steep $10/month and other gaming VPNs seems to charge about the same. less if you choose 3/6/12 months deal.

They have a 3 day trial if you install it no enter credit card / make new account BS.

Anyways, My ping is now 70ms. Definitely playable and can't wait for Sigma to arrive.
You'll have to manually select a server though through various trial and error 70ms seems to be the lowest i can get to.
tranvanhieu
Grubber
310 | 2
dongpickle wrote:In case anyone was wondering, I tried wtfast after this post. a steep $10/month and other gaming VPNs seems to charge about the same. less if you choose 3/6/12 months deal.

They have a 3 day trial if you install it no enter credit card / make new account BS.

Anyways, My ping is now 70ms. Definitely playable and can't wait for Sigma to arrive.
You'll have to manually select a server though through various trial and error 70ms seems to be the lowest i can get to.

Nice try, WTfast (-:
dongpickle
Stygian Watcher
40 | 2
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
haha yeah kinda sounds like i'm advertising.

I like how you can run two windowed clients at once. back in vanilla, i remember having to go to a public game and stress about quickly coming in with another char.
ryunp
Lava Lord
97 | 73
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Great Contribution Badge
Is an active collaborator / developer
Stange. If a VPN works, this seems to imply your gateway provider is causing some sort of latency. A VPN shouldn't reduce latency. If anything it adds an extra layer of routing/latency. Do all NA hosted services have high latency?
dongpickle
Stygian Watcher
40 | 2
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
In most cases when trying out the NA/EU servers I always get lower ping when using the program. For some reason the /ping command in diablo 2 always show a high ping even though the actual ping from wtfast window shows. I usually test it out by constantly clicking on the item in the inventory and it does make a night and day difference.

NA servers without vpn leads me to 300ms. still playable but really frustrating at times.