Totem Necro Guide?

Discuss Median XL!
nemmate
Grubber
301 | 8
After the patch notes, what do you think about a bloodmage merc for the fire totem build ? Now it has full fire spells, and firedance for buff. But in the same time, a melee merc maybe would be better, for tanking the mobs, because we use casts/spells skills. Any thoughts about this ?
Pinball
A dragon with boobs
6557 | 255
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Yeah Bloodmage merc with Firedance is pretty good for Fireheart build because Firedance will double the spell damage bonus from itself. But if your army is fragile then Necrolyte is prob best. This is a big debuff merc with Miasma, Force Blast and the slow effect from Frigid Sphere.
ParticuLarry
Ice Clan
558 | 60
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
nemmate wrote:After the patch notes, what do you think about a bloodmage merc for the fire totem build ? Now it has full fire spells, and firedance for buff. But in the same time, a melee merc maybe would be better, for tanking the mobs, because we use casts/spells skills. Any thoughts about this ?

Not much changed for totemnec aside from Frostclaw totem hitting less often with more damage. Firedance would of course be great, since it adds some spell damage (20% at skill level 1)

As for tanks you have other options. A level 1 Iron golem will get you through nightmare even if it probably dies against nightmare bosses. Then you can either get a Veil King or 3 Jinns. I personally never tried it out, but I read that Iron Golem on a
Wheel of Fortune
Wheel of Fortune
Large Shield (4)

Defense: 85 to 162
Chance to Block: Class%
Required Level: 4
Required Strength: 27
Required Dexterity: 45
Item Level: 10
+(21 to 30) to Vitality
Maximum Elemental Resists +1%
Elemental Resists +(6 to 10)%
Fire Absorb 1%
Lightning Absorb 1%
Cold Absorb 1%
(4 to 7)% Gold Find
(5 to 10)% Magic Find
Socketed (1)
Defense: 240 to 405
Required Level: 21
Required Strength: 53
Required Dexterity: 67
Item Level: 31
+(31 to 40) to Vitality
Maximum Elemental Resists +1%
Elemental Resists +(11 to 20)%
Fire Absorb 2%
Lightning Absorb 2%
Cold Absorb 2%
(9 to 12)% Gold Find
(11 to 20)% Magic Find
Socketed (3)
Defense: 501 to 817
Required Level: 39
Required Strength: 184
Required Dexterity: 139
Item Level: 51
+(41 to 50) to Vitality
Maximum Elemental Resists +2%
Elemental Resists +(21 to 30)%
Fire Absorb 2%
Lightning Absorb 2%
Cold Absorb 2%
(14 to 17)% Gold Find
(21 to 30)% Magic Find
Socketed (4)
Defense: 684 to 1113
Required Level: 48
Required Strength: 368
Required Dexterity: 288
Item Level: 77
+(51 to 60) to Vitality
Maximum Elemental Resists +2%
Elemental Resists +(31 to 40)%
Fire Absorb 3%
Lightning Absorb 3%
Cold Absorb 3%
(17 to 19)% Gold Find
(31 to 40)% Magic Find
Socketed (4)
cubed with resists and socketed with Rubin/sapphire/Topaz/Emeral can make your Iron golem really tanky against elemental damage.

Jinns die really fast (probably because on my totemancer I never bothered to get minion resistances) and if you go for Veil king you will probably need minion resistances, too.

When it comes to mercs that tank, I can imagine Exemplar being really good, since it gets lots of defense trough Dragonheart and it can teleport on enemies with collosseum. However it will probably disturb your totems since it can knock back enemies with retaliate, and when your merc teleports on the enemies it keeps enemies probably too far away and thus out of attack range of your totems. I'd probably take a Fighter Mage over an Exemplar because of Chrono Field and Glacial Nova, which can slow and freeze enemies well enough and thus gives you more time to kill enemies.