Name Change

Discuss Median XL!
bradsmithsite
Banned
143 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
I believe Median XL doesn't do the mod justice. Why not call it Diablo the Sin War. The eternal battle between good and evil.

We need shrines that give cryptic messages, cube scripts, etc. I would like to join developing the project, but I looked at the GitHub, and it seems there is just the launcher.

I thought Median XL was a joke - RandomInteger, 5000000) - but it's way beyond that. I want to add more lore to Diablo from the books. It would be nice if you add another character called a Witch - Blood, Poison, Nature. Can one of the talented masters who made Median please P.M. I would like to join to the project.
bradsmithsite
Banned
143 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Why not use the resources from Diablo 1 and include it?
CallMeCrazySam
Heretic
418 | 59
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
why not BIG DICK PERFECT PRO PLAYER BIS DIABLO MOD 9000
RequiemLux
Sand Maggot
1125 | 288
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
bradsmithsite wrote:I believe Median XL doesn't do the mod justice. Why not call it Diablo the Sin War. The eternal battle between good and evil

Brother Laz (the original creator of the mod) called it MedianXL for the following reasons:
Median - because when it was first created the author thought of it as just another average mod in the ocean of D2 modding.
XL - because Laz was a fan of the WipEout futuristic video game racing serie and one of the titles had "-XL" as suffix.

You may not like it or feel no attachment towards the name's origin, but it is what it is, and in the years "MedianXL" grew to be a renown name in the D2 community. The original meaning behind the name has been lost to time, or overshadowed by the project identity which has always been defined by its playable content. This allows the obscure and apparently nonsensical name to be a great candidate as title to be worn by the project without constraining it into a definition or a statement. The mod benefits from this in the sense that has an open-end path of evolution and a title with no longer a traceable meaning outside of the project itself, thus maintaining it always as a fitting choice.
One could argue that "MedianXL" is actually a perfect name for such large and original mod.

bradsmithsite wrote:We need shrines that give cryptic messages, cube scripts, etc. I would like to join developing the project, but I looked at the GitHub, and it seems there is just the launcher.

The developement GitHubs are not public, so you will not find them. On a side note, the development is not a free-for-all water well in which to throw everything that could be done just because it can be done, it'd be better to argument the reasons behind a suggestion so you can sway people to your cause or receive contructive criticism.

bradsmithsite wrote:I thought Median XL was a joke - RandomInteger, 5000000) - but it's way beyond that. I want to add more lore to Diablo from the books. It would be nice if you add another character called a Witch - Blood, Poison, Nature. Can one of the talented masters who made Median please P.M. I would like to join to the project.

Don't worry about the lore, we have a VERY long and detailed list of potential new levels to add, while also being lore related and compatible with current/future content. As for adding a whole new character that's not happening.
Team members and people close to the development process are not what they are because they asked to be made so, they have been selected over the years after they gave tangible reasons as to why one would have wanted to have them on-board. Many hadn't even the intention of joining to begin with, they just enjoyed contributing and then were later asked to join. If you want to join the project just ask yourself "what I have to offer? what would the project truly gain from my involvement?" then, once you've ordered your thoughts, the only thing you can do is start doing things with enjoyment in doing those things as it could aswell be the only reward to be had, there's no guarantee of joining the team.

bradsmithsite wrote:Why not use the resources from Diablo 1 and include it?

D1 resources are not plug-in and play, furthermore a lot of assets of the first game simply do not fit in the second.
Ultimately, the type of suggestions you are generally proposing requires a deep knowledge of D2 modding as to not result only into blind shots, I'd suggest to acquire such knowledge prior to start suggesting things of this scale.

CallMeCrazySam wrote:why not BIG DICK PERFECT PRO PLAYER BIS DIABLO MOD 9000

Not gonna lie, doesn't sound so bad.
► BDPPPBDM9000
Crash
Madawc
6799 | 327
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions

^ I second this. Please continue the chain quote in support of this title change.
AzureGladiator
Heretic
429 | 94
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Contest Badge
Has won a forum contest
Most moderators would have just laughed this one off, but RequiemLux actually gave you some really solid advice. Kudos to him. It goes with everything in life... you need to prove yourself worthy. Median XL is a well-established name in the Diablo community. Some random guy popping out of nowhere, with sub-par writing skills, asking to join a team to make major changes will only give off bad impressions.

Hahaha, nice one! :lol:
bradsmithsite
Banned
143 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Median means:
denoting or relating to a value or quantity lying at the midpoint of a frequency distribution of observed values or quantities, such that there is an equal probability of falling above or below it.
"the median duration of this treatment was four months"

That's Random(Start := 5, Finish := 10).

It's a function name.
bradsmithsite
Banned
143 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Yes, it's established, and has meaning behind it, but Merdium (Random(X, Y)) + XL (extra large) doesn't mean it's a good name. It could be better, much better. The MOD is f(*&KINg amazing. I wanted to help, I will write a skiller planner/calc for the project to start, then when I earn a name with the Median community, we can go from there.

Tell me, where do I report bugs? Stupid bug that the map displays the entire stage so you don't know where you've been. Annoying.
Wotan
Astral Guardian
1926 | 159
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Hey, its me- Random new generic player. I played this mod past level 12 and I have compiled a core of suggestions.
First of all scrap everything about this mod- the name, the mechanics, everything. Its bad and I should know this cause I come from Diablo 3 and various MMOs.
This game looks dated and it definitelly needs some re-work. You don't even know about half the stuff the new games have. Please implement features from
all my favorite modern games. Let me throw random suggestions that are impossible to implement into a 20+ years old engine, and even if they were possible somehow let
me not offer your any insight or help. See you all next time.
Sincerely,
<Random new player>.

No offense to any new player, but this has been our experience for the past 10+ years with new players.
AzureGladiator
Heretic
429 | 94
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Contest Badge
Has won a forum contest
Well... if you enjoy digging yourself a deeper grave, good luck I guess