Farming Info

Discuss Median XL!
spinheadmickey
Prowler
17 | 0
I've been farming Duncraig & TA (Single Player only, no high-speed internet where i live). I am playing a javazon & typically run Dunc then go straight to TA. In the past 3 wks, i've done this run over 200 times (takes about 40 min to do both). I have noticed a few things...

1. I generally get better drops in TA, so why does everyone say Dunc for SUs?
2. 4 runs in a row, 2 copies of Shamanka Long Staff dropped in the exact same room in Dunc. WTF??
3. Doing this run using '/players x' results in more magic/rare item drops, but fewer uniques. Why?

Also, I have managed to collect almost every SU/SSU/SSSU/Set item (only missing one piece to have ALL sets) except for SU/SSU/SSSU Setzschild & SU/SSU/SSSU Full Plate Mail (not 1 of these 6 items has dropped yet). I have 550% MF, so not understanding the mechanics of treasure drops i guess. Normally I just chalk it up to bad luck, but in 200 runs thru the 2 best levels for SUs I'd have thought to see these items already. Is there a 'best' place to potentially find these items? I really would like to get my hands on Rozsochac (the SU/SSU/SSSU Full Plate Mails I want just to complete my stash).
Just to be thorough, I've also noticed that I get the BEST drops on '/players 3'. Is the mod biased towards 3 players?

So, am I just unlucky or do I need to try something/somewhere different for farming?
suchbalance
Team Member
1758 | 513
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Skill Badge
Experienced Player
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Great Mind Badge
A Median XL guru... a true book of knowledge
1) TA has a unique drop bias. This means that it will drop more uniques than Duncraig overall, but the majority of these will be tiered. Duncraig has the best set & sacred unique drops, if you aren't seeing that in your runs you must be unlucky there.

2) Just random chance. If you think of every monster as a lottery ticket, the thousands you have killed already are bound to eventually drop the same item twice in close succession.

3) More players reduces the no drop chance. The problem with this setting in crowded areas is that your screen gets filled up very easily with blues/rares and so you probably miss the uniques more easily.

Duncraig is the best place to farm in single player. There is no /players bias. You could do 100 more runs and never get that one specific item, that is how chance works.
Gekko64
Shadowgate Totem
1728 | 102
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
/players x gives diminishing returns, so it's not surprising that you get the best drops/killspeed ratio with /players 3
spinheadmickey
Prowler
17 | 0
Thanks for the info, helps my understanding a bit (but not my drops!). Guess I'll just keep running thru Dunc (and occasionally TA just to change up the flavor). I appreciate the speedy replies!
Aerisk
Stygian Watcher
41 | 1
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
I had the same luck, and even made a post about it recently. (lol)
► Show Spoiler

I found the best place for my stupid luck to work is in TA. Have found most if not all my main su upgrades in there compared to dunc and faun.

Just all depends I guess.
spinheadmickey
Prowler
17 | 0
Yeah, still same here. 75-80% of my su/ssu/sssu pieces came from TA. Drops ARE good in Dunc (seem to be more ssu/sssu pieces overall), I'm just looking for particular pieces that just won't drop no matter where i go
shrimp
Daystar
693 | 14
_____I get 123 lvl and not do dunc even 1time. ta cow unformed troaja and bremtown. thats all . good fast drops :roll: