[2.3] Scolsgen: Nec vs Barb Sum (SSF Perspective)

Discuss Median XL!
CorralTheTroops
Gravedigger
185 | 6
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
heamn wrote:
CorralTheTroops wrote:
Bro that video was so disappointing. I just died at level 125 on HC, and I felt I was doing okay. I was thinking dual max stances and try with wolf snapshotting on my next try, but seeing how little damage you're doing even with full bis gear is so demoralizing.
Including Wolf stance + bloodlust, that is 1000% minion damage + 1000% attack rating, and still not rolling over scosglen yikes :'(
Even spirit reave hit on etherborn was so small wtf :''''(
Only think I can think is try adding Glowing Fungus Relic, it has ideal scaling with summ barb (summon while having cast speed buff from wolf + crazy attack rating scaling + damage scaling), and hits in an area around teleport, which will help give proper directionality to the guardian projectiles.
Thanks a lot for the video, hope that he gets tuned correctly in patch or in 2.4

unless there are some other secret tech that i didnt know, that barb is the best i could do atm, at least within he basic kit from the talent tree.

yep, glowing fungus brings alot to the table, earlier testing i totally forgot about wolf buff gives cast speed, with the same snapshot logic you can summon fungus within the wolf buff to milk the most out of it.

need about 333 cast speed to cap spell focus, and about 1.4k minion accu to hit 170 pierce.

Since I died in HC, I've been doing some experimenting in SC.

On my char in SC, I'm using 3 crafts + set items.
And wolf stance is adding a LOT of damage, since it gives %ewd in addition to getting better frames + crushing blow. Using stance snapshotting I'm able to roll over rifts like Vizjun and Dunc. It's crazy to imagine how much stronger Scosglen must be...

From what I can deduce, the best setup probably looks something like this:

Gloves, Belt, Boots : Tainted + blessed craft, pray for either magic find or life/vit for the bonus stats, if enough shrines, also aiming for high def values would be ideal
Helm probably another tainted + blessed craft, but morthwyrtha might still be stronger, can't understimate +1 minions
Chest : Thelema RW, in HC, probably another tainted craft, leaving space for res gems
Shield : Toraja's Champion
Weapon : Gladiator's rage (Basically necessary, since otherwise it's impossible to get enough minion res) , or strong crafted magical sword
Socket Io/Iu jewels in everything, maybe Ist/Yst in wep if strong enough.

With this level of gear + Glowing fungus, I'm sure something has got to work, but I want to see it in action
Edited by CorralTheTroops 1 year.
CorralTheTroops
Gravedigger
185 | 6
Common Popularity Badge
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Morden wrote:
Edit : I'm lost on why would he be maxing neph spirit. The minions have no pierce, so neph spirit is around 5% of the damage of minions being optimistic, which is pretty terrible for 14 points.

I think it might literally be an adaptation for farming Fauztinville specifically. I noticed the necrobots go down much easier with neph spirit variant than with runemaster variant.
Too bad Vizjun is so much more dangerous than Fauzt, since the enemies there just lay down when summ barb shows up :D

EDIT: As I've been farming Fauzt + Vizjun more, I think Neph spirit is fucking atrocious and a huge waste of skill points on any conceivable build...
I'm going to start gearing a3 Abjurer Merc to see if the bonus elemental damage can get me through Fauztinville, having pure phys damage only from summons needs some other changes to be able to farm Fauzt comfortably. Necrobots are so frickin annoying to kill.
CorralTheTroops
Gravedigger
185 | 6
Common Popularity Badge
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Hey guys, just a bump to see if anyone figured out some strats over the last season to make summon barbarian work well in Scosglen.

I've not yet started the new season, but I'll be starting on Friday. No matter what I will play Sumo Barb start, and then switch to something else prob; but I was wondering what the best setup is for scosglen.
CorralTheTroops
Gravedigger
185 | 6
Common Popularity Badge
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
CorralTheTroops wrote:Hey guys, just a bump to see if anyone figured out some strats over the last season to make summon barbarian work well in Scosglen.

I've not yet started the new season, but I'll be starting on Friday. No matter what I will play Sumo Barb start, and then switch to something else prob; but I was wondering what the best setup is for scosglen.

Hey guys, just reporting back after hitting 148 in 2.5 season on ladder with exclusively summon barb.

I think to push labs (after res penalty, 8,9,10 iirc), and doing nitho might be out of the question for SSF summon barb. Specifically Champions of the sun relic are mandatory for a sane experience imo.

However I think SSF shaman can easily do all content upto and including killing Scos boss on purely SSF gears. Samael is also probably possible in SSF, but it requires really good knowledge/understanding of the fight. Although I never played any other build to endgame, I think it might be better to respec for those last 2 fights.

There's few techs that need to be understood, and the char has a lot of flexibility in gearing and skillpoint allocation depending on what you manage to craft/drop.

Use priestess Merc, literally just put her in 100% survival gears, she's just there for vindicate. I don't think it works consistently on your minions but it gives you regen which is always great.

Good crafts are needed, and good amount of jewels are needed for swaps and snapshotting gear, you can use runes in gears till you cross 135 and respec into specialization. If you are playing SSF you will need to spend time in Fauzt to get good jewels and Frostwalkers weps for snapshot.

I cannot emphasize how much the proper gears and snapshotting ritual is needed to get an optimal army. Especially with all the good uniques that you're likely to drop, you have to constantly update your gears and move your sockets.
PeterHatEater
Bone Archer
76 | 18
Common Popularity Badge
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
CorralTheTroops wrote:
CorralTheTroops wrote:Hey guys, just a bump to see if anyone figured out some strats over the last season to make summon barbarian work well in Scosglen.

Hey guys, just reporting back after hitting 148 in 2.5 season on ladder with exclusively summon barb.

I think to push labs (after res penalty, 8,9,10 iirc), and doing nitho might be out of the question for SSF summon barb. Specifically Champions of the sun relic are mandatory for a sane experience imo.

However I think SSF shaman can easily do all content upto and including killing Scos boss on purely SSF gears. Samael is also probably possible in SSF, but it requires really good knowledge/understanding of the fight. Although I never played any other build to endgame, I think it might be better to respec for those last 2 fights.

There's few techs that need to be understood, and the char has a lot of flexibility in gearing and skillpoint allocation depending on what you manage to craft/drop.

Use priestess Merc, literally just put her in 100% survival gears, she's just there for vindicate. I don't think it works consistently on your minions but it gives you regen which is always great.

Good crafts are needed, and good amount of jewels are needed for swaps and snapshotting gear, you can use runes in gears till you cross 135 and respec into specialization. If you are playing SSF you will need to spend time in Fauzt to get good jewels and Frostwalkers weps for snapshot.

I cannot emphasize how much the proper gears and snapshotting ritual is needed to get an optimal army. Especially with all the good uniques that you're likely to drop, you have to constantly update your gears and move your sockets.

Interesting. Summon Barb has a high ceiling but requires a lot of tedious work. I don't think the build can do Sam or Deimoss though, because as far as I'm aware, they heal off minion kills. I also think Witch has this mechanic too (but not in labs?).
Crash
Madawc
6799 | 327
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
PeterHatEater wrote:Interesting. Summon Barb has a high ceiling but requires a lot of tedious work. I don't think the build can do Sam or Deimoss though, because as far as I'm aware, they heal off minion kills. I also think Witch has this mechanic too (but not in labs?).

soul eater mod was changed a long time ago now to only heal on player kill. unless sam/deimoss is a special case, idk
PeterHatEater
Bone Archer
76 | 18
Common Popularity Badge
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Crash wrote:
PeterHatEater wrote:Interesting. Summon Barb has a high ceiling but requires a lot of tedious work. I don't think the build can do Sam or Deimoss though, because as far as I'm aware, they heal off minion kills. I also think Witch has this mechanic too (but not in labs?).

soul eater mod was changed a long time ago now to only heal on player kill. unless sam/deimoss is a special case, idk

Sam/Deimoss must be a special case because Spirit of Vengeance summons reanimates which they heal from. I tested it this season.
Crash
Madawc
6799 | 327
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
PeterHatEater wrote:Sam/Deimoss must be a special case because Spirit of Vengeance summons reanimates which they heal from. I tested it this season.

not related to soul eater, but sov: i assume you know you can use frenzy before summoning to eliminate reanimates
sappersummoner
Lava Lord
94 | 2
bro I speed farm in scosglen with necro summoner

necro does all content comfortably until the very hardest content

i made a crafted marrow staff with summon glowing fungus and +10 necro skills

at level 142 and he zips around scosglen tears through bosses easily

i calculate max level hawks do 720k+ damage per cycle (casting them all then casting them again)

the sets are really good too, so he doesnt even need expensive gear
PeterHatEater
Bone Archer
76 | 18
Common Popularity Badge
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Crash wrote:
PeterHatEater wrote:Sam/Deimoss must be a special case because Spirit of Vengeance summons reanimates which they heal from. I tested it this season.

not related to soul eater, but sov: i assume you know you can use frenzy before summoning to eliminate reanimates

How is it related to SoV? Why would they restore life from killing reanimates and not summons?

Yeh, I'm aware of EF. Had to spec it specifically for the fights after I learned that the reanimates heal the big bosses.

Also, I'm pretty sure my fire elementals heal them too. I'm fairly certain they still have some kind mechanic that heals them when killing summons.