How SSF viable is Median XL?

Discuss Median XL!
B2b_cp3
Skeleton
2 | 0
Good Day,
It has been years since I last played median XL. With the new season starting today I wanted to give the mod a try again. But the huge post about trading and tg and so on intimidated me and made me wonder if it is even reasonable to play the game without any trading at all on multiple different builds ( I have only seen a summoner build for ssf so far).
Thabk you in advance
nemmate
Grubber
301 | 8
B2b_cp3 wrote:Good Day,
It has been years since I last played median XL. With the new season starting today I wanted to give the mod a try again. But the huge post about trading and tg and so on intimidated me and made me wonder if it is even reasonable to play the game without any trading at all on multiple different builds ( I have only seen a summoner build for ssf so far).
Thabk you in advance

yes, it can
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=78735
akbugger
Pit Knight
101 | 3
It depends on what you want. Up to and including Duncraig and Fauzt is viable I guess, while Scosglen and labs/sam....meh. Don't bother.
Good thing is that u can farm Dunc for ssu which u can use to farm Fauzt, those runes you get there can make very powerful rws.

Sets (at least some of them) can also get u far, and they drop quite often.
B2b_cp3
Skeleton
2 | 0
Thanks for the replies. I don't mind grinding a bit so I guess I'll just give it a try and see how far I'll get.
shnurr214
Ice Clan
597 | 47
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Median is a very SSF friendly game, its one of the main reasons I actually enjoy it as much as I do. I tend to stop playing when I hit the content wall that requires perfect UMO gear and SSU to have a good time but 90% of the game is totally ssf viable on most of the popular specs.

the way that I usually play my seasons out is I try to SSF mostly up to scosglen and get all the charms up to that point. At that point I break out the TG and start buying whatever to really make my character nice. However scosglen is a pretty far point in the game and you will have many hours of entertainment if you play this way..

Fuppy has a good tier list here any of the tier 1 or tier 2 builds are generally SSF viable. viewtopic.php?f=40&t=78735

my personal favorite SSF builds are clawsin,nagisin, Unholy Caster (warlock), Vesseldin, and unholy melee. however thats just because ive been playing pally and sin lately, I am sure all other classes are totally viable ssf
MUS01
Cog
201 | 3
Javazon is a great SSF char. I've collected 80% of charms, and "mid tier" equipment playing untwinked in sp (check Fuppy javazon guide for the mid tier equipment). However prepare yourself for plenty of deaths while you catch the playstile (mostly block, no defense).

I don't play her now cause I hate manual targeting for farm but I hit the point of mostly 1 shot trash mobs in farming (seen in videos)... and I think she can do almost all ubers in the game cause even with zero defense she has great block, damage and sustan, a good life pool (mine has 10k hp), some damage reduction, and with 5 skill points you have the max cap slow for bosses in the game (25%) for every boss. (they would try attack you so they would be slowed always)... a "MUST" item is javazon set shield with 20% life steal and mana steal...with that item you can play very smooth...

I only wish she can have the elemental damage reduction permactivated with no block requirement.
Mr_Bill
Designated Troll
87 | 3
Common Popularity Badge
Thabk you in advance

Doing this is next to impossible in Hardcore mode (I speak from personal experience); you are bound to be 1- or 2-shotted either while farming, or while bossing, or while doing "uberquests", or (or... or... thousands of random Median "whoops, you're dead!" mishaps). Realistically the game is do-able in Hardcore up to about A5 Nightmare or possibly even early A1 Hell, but the damage / risk scaling after that becomes so extreme that even the most cautious and skilled players will get 1- or 2-shotted at some point.

For Softcore, if you are willing to (say) die 20+ times trying to complete a specific quest, then, yeah, I suppose you can do it (keep a lot of cash around to resurrect your Mercenary with however).
Syphery
Lava Lord
99 | 175
Common Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Multiplayer Badge
Has won 3 multiplayer contests
Great Skill Badge
Highly trained Warrior
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Mr_Bill wrote:
Thabk you in advance

Doing this is next to impossible in Hardcore mode (I speak from personal experience); you are bound to be 1- or 2-shotted either while farming, or while bossing, or while doing "uberquests", or (or... or... thousands of random Median "whoops, you're dead!" mishaps). Realistically the game is do-able in Hardcore up to about A5 Nightmare or possibly even early A1 Hell, but the damage / risk scaling after that becomes so extreme that even the most cautious and skilled players will get 1- or 2-shotted at some point.

For Softcore, if you are willing to (say) die 20+ times trying to complete a specific quest, then, yeah, I suppose you can do it (keep a lot of cash around to resurrect your Mercenary with however).

skill issue
Jampula
Amazon Warrior
1677 | 91
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Had to give thumbs to Syphery. :D

To answer to op question, yes of course. You are familiar to the game and mod so why not? Only things you are not able to do are HIGH-END -stuff, and there isn't much to enjoy/gain there. Basic game and ubers are still enjoyable.

But if you are a perfectionist, then no.
Mr_Bill
Designated Troll
87 | 3
Common Popularity Badge
Syphery wrote:
Mr_Bill wrote:
Thabk you in advance

skill issue

No, it ISN'T a "skill issue".

Comments reflect the actual game situation for 99.99% of normal Median players (e.g. those of us who cannot devote every waking moment of every day doing things like crafting and so on, and those of us who do not have 100% stable, gigabit Internet connections).

The game IS, beyond any reasonable doubt, suicidal past a certain point, although that point will differ according (in particular) to a person's character build (e.g. melee == "you die quickly"), play style (e.g. the more aggressive, the faster you die), network lag (even a slight "hiccup" in your frame rate at the wrong time == "you die") and, last but not least, dumb luck. Thanks.