Accessibility: having a hard time in Viz-Jun

Discuss Median XL!
alchemistfm
Destroyer
6 | 0
Hello friendos,

Off and on (lately engrossed) player, finally making it to some of the end game stuff! Loving the additions and all the work that was put into making one of my favorite games even better.

That said, I'm having a really hard time in Viz-Jun. I'm a bit hard of hearing anyway, and with all the added sound of effects, skills, etc., I read there's supposed to be a voice that warns about upcoming attacks or something there? I think that's why I keep spawning waves of enemies?

It's not totally undoable, but it is really frustrating to not be able to better prepare a strategy to counter the archers or mages when I can't tell if they're coming. I end up getting swarmed and then locked out (since you have to go through the proving grounds) if I forgot a portal (or the portls gets swarmed).

Not sure about the limitations, but is there any way to add a visual indicator to go with the sound when there's gonna be a new wave/attack or something? I haven't even gotten that far in and there's nuclear strikes?? Yeah, it's not "critical" to finishing the game, but I want to experience all there is to experience, too.
Siosilvar
Cow Ninja
1223 | 265
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
The voices are practically impossible to pick out even for those of us with perfect hearing, you're not alone in that. Half the time it doesn't even play at all because of all the other sound effects going on. Not sure if it's possible to add an indicator, but the spawns are always in fixed locations & the way to deal with anything in there is to just keep moving to dodge projectiles.

You're also not locked out, if you can get across to the other side and grab the waypoint.

Nukes do have a visual indicator, so there's that at least. Might be able to find a bigger sprite for it if it's a problem.
CorralTheTroops
Gravedigger
185 | 6
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Always stressful to be in Viz-Jun, particles/cues/effects don't always work.
It doesn't really have too much worth picking up, and for me personally it's just a way to hit Fauzt.

I go up the SE->NE, backtrack if needed, NE to NW, "", NW to SW, and if I'm farming the trophy I also go SW to S.

Just don't stop moving, except in the parts of the map you know are safe, and DO NOT BACKTRACK till like 10-15 seconds after you move past an area.
alchemistfm
Destroyer
6 | 0
Siosilvar wrote:The voices are practically impossible to pick out even for those of us with perfect hearing, you're not alone in that. Half the time it doesn't even play at all because of all the other sound effects going on. Not sure if it's possible to add an indicator, but the spawns are always in fixed locations & the way to deal with anything in there is to just keep moving to dodge projectiles.

You're also not locked out, if you can get across to the other side and grab the waypoint.

Nukes do have a visual indicator, so there's that at least. Might be able to find a bigger sprite for it if it's a problem.

Helpful info, thanks so much! Didn't know there was a waypoint there, that''ll definitely help too. I thought there might be, but some of those don't have one, so I wasn't sure (I was getting too frustrated with it to keep exploring). Thanks again! Hope an indicator is an option (maybe like the timer text for timed areas but smaller?).
metasequoia
Cog
206 | 19
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
I was wondering about that as well. Because there are a few things i would like some kind of visual indicator as well, Navigator in Labs for example, Deimoss/Samael fights work a lot with sound cues too. As for Navi, i thought of the debuff aura to be shown by a symbol next to mana orb similar to some curses etc. Got no idea for Viz-Jun indicators atm that is not highly complicated, also because there is always happening SO MUCH on screen. Hm maybe the Mathael/Wings of the departed/Zakarum's Avatar light effect a second or 2 before spawns?

I mean there are always ways to play around those, like "just know the game well" (viz-jun spawns for example) or "just have a stronk char" (i got one-shot by navi more often on brittle builds than by Phoboss, because phob at least gives you a HP bar as a sign for "i'm close mate").

Also accessibility may be the most important point, but there are many players who play without game audio as well, right? Would be nice to find a solution for some hazards to get a fair warning at least. I remember the clicking trap-sound of old 1H-KO punisher chests for some reason... :)
alchemistfm
Destroyer
6 | 0
metasequoia wrote:Also accessibility may be the most important point, but there are many players who play without game audio as well, right? Would be nice to find a solution for some hazards to get a fair warning at least. I remember the clicking trap-sound of old 1H-KO punisher chests for some reason... :)

I'm always a big fan of adding accessibility features wherever possible. :D Makes gaming that much better for everyone, and doable for me as a disabled player!
Brazor
Imp
5 | 1
Well then I am pretty much gonna die every time. I am hard of hearing from young age. I am half blind because of disability and.... I never play with sound :D. I am not a competitive gamer anymore. I am more chilled. I am limited in time so rush normal in next that no time. I just wanna get to do ubers and die horribly :)