median xl difficulty index 2 stars (down from 5)

Discuss Median XL!
paolo12
Cog
207 | 18
How many people played this mod in the old days of "kill yourself 1000 times at kabraxis/astrogha/other boss" vs now? . IMO it's about choice beetween been a niche mod with few hundred playing it or more "normal" game with thousands of new players. And endgame/challenge has shifted to labirynth and bosses there. Everything before is preparation for labs.
Siosilvar
Cow Ninja
1223 | 265
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
midknight wrote:
Ruubel wrote:Havoc at this season is an accident, not a devilish planning.

For the last seven season in 2.x now they have this though. Javazon in 2.0, 2.1 (although mid game was kind of slow), Scorpsin in 2.2 which deleted labs (although early mid game was slow), Free 800 ewd for druids especially bear. In 2.6 Bowazon which destroyed early mid game in tu's and could do scosglen in tu's. Melee sorc which destroyed the game in tu's and could do scosglen in tu's and now Havoc. Wyrd sorc I think was a genuine mistake seeing that particular interaction was not an obvious one.

oh, shush you. Bowa was my mistake because I tried a new skill function and didn't catch that it was firing twice (we didn't have hit counts on the target dummy yet and beta testing was quiet), havoc because nobody caught that fire sorc set had 100% energy on it, and the other WDM builds are a repeated underestimation that I've argued against (and done the followup nerfs for) every single time.

You can assign intent to crossbow nec and throwbarb, Gato's been nothing but explicit that he released those two builds at that strength on purpose.
Siosilvar
Cow Ninja
1223 | 265
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
paolo12 wrote:How many people played this mod in the old days of "kill yourself 1000 times at kabraxis/astrogha/other boss" vs now? . IMO it's about choice beetween been a niche mod with few hundred playing it or more "normal" game with thousands of new players. And endgame/challenge has shifted to labirynth and bosses there. Everything before is preparation for labs.

the truth.

given that we get people complaining both about how hard it is and how easy it is, I feel we're getting to a good middle ground these days, maybe a touch on the easy side given how much the 105-115 stuff doesn't even feel like a speedbump any more, but you can bet i've been making everyone well aware of that.
Taem
Necrobot
2476 | 151
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Siosilvar wrote:
paolo12 wrote:How many people played this mod in the old days of "kill yourself 1000 times at kabraxis/astrogha/other boss" vs now? . IMO it's about choice beetween been a niche mod with few hundred playing it or more "normal" game with thousands of new players. And endgame/challenge has shifted to labirynth and bosses there. Everything before is preparation for labs.

the truth.

given that we get people complaining both about how hard it is and how easy it is, I feel we're getting to a good middle ground these days, maybe a touch on the easy side given how much the 105-115 stuff doesn't even feel like a speedbump any more, but you can bet i've been making everyone well aware of that.

Challenges don't need to be strictly gear checks to be fun. Many of us remember how exciting and enjoying Laz-era ubers were, speaking specifically of the mechanics of Butcher needing to stand in a circle and be hit to kill him, fun and challenging concept, k3k with invincible skeles till totems whacked, death projector and Creature of Flame actually being meaningful challenges that required skill in dexterity, another unique twist. Dunc with walls you had to teleport over the quickly run from the mobs there, terrifying and yet completely survivable with fast reflexes but more importantly, fun! You guys have dumbed shit down to hulk smash everything sucking the life and spirit out of this mod and it hasn't gone unnoticed.
sonneko
Stygian Watcher
42 | 13
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Surely the game has gotten easier over the years but I think it's fine. The mod is more suitable for seasonal/casual play now.

The thing that disappoints me is the heroic version of those ubers. There's nothing challenging/interesting about those fights.
The devs clearly have the tech and are putting efforts into those heroic fights. Feel free to make it harder and more challenging, like at least Sescheron's Destroyer level of difficulty.
The rewards for those heroic fights also need to be optional not mandatory, e.g big dick glowing aura, random chance to drop niche SUs (similar to Sam's items), 100% lotto oil, even greater oil of alchemy... That way the veterans will still have things to compete for while not affecting the casual player base at all.
Siosilvar
Cow Ninja
1223 | 265
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Taem wrote:
Siosilvar wrote:

the truth.

Challenges don't need to be strictly gear checks to be fun. Many of us remember how exciting and enjoying Laz-era ubers were, speaking specifically of the mechanics of Butcher needing to stand in a circle and be hit to kill him, fun and challenging concept, k3k with invincible skeles till totems whacked, death projector and Creature of Flame actually being meaningful challenges that required skill in dexterity, another unique twist. Dunc with walls you had to teleport over the quickly run from the mobs there, terrifying and yet completely survivable with fast reflexes but more importantly, fun! You guys have dumbed shit down to hulk smash everything sucking the life and spirit out of this mod and it hasn't gone unnoticed.

Don't "you guys" me with changes I had no hand in, in reply to the post where I explicitly acknowledge I'm not a fan of (some of) those changes. What do you think I meant with "doesn't even feel like a speedbump"?
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1445 | 61
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Taem wrote:Many of us remember how exciting and enjoying Laz-era ubers were,

Oh yes i very much enjoyed getting 1shot left and right by total bullshit bosses. The game is in a much healthier state than it was back then, that cant be argued, but i do think the the difficulty of early ubers should go up quite a bit.
ElfenTaiga
Dark Huntress
14 | 1
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Istaryu wrote:

Oh yes i very much enjoyed getting 1shot left and right by total bullshit bosses. The game is in a much healthier state than it was back then, that cant be argued, but i do think the the difficulty of early ubers should go up quite a bit.

Not even just bosses. I went back to XVC and random mobs will just instantly yeet you out of existence. Playing a Pouncezon with 80% poison resistance and still any random enemy with poison instantly brings you to 1hp.
Taem
Necrobot
2476 | 151
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Istaryu wrote:

That is why I was specific with the feedback on which ubers were good but got unneccessarily nerfed. In regards specifically to Death P and Creature of Flame, I'm not even suggesting make it 1htko, but maybe use poison mechanic to insta drop your health to 1-point if you're too slow to dodge with enough baddies to make it an actual challenge. If you think the ubers I specifically mentioned are better now, well then I guess we can agree to disagree.
Gabri
Prowler
19 | 0
Hello everyone, all good, I hope.

I need some advice if you can.
I'm at lel 128, my XP don't move and some of the Ubers on my lel I can't even do.
If you can give me your input on this will be much appreciated.

Regards