Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions

Heya, boys and gals! Merry Christmas, Median community!

I adore RPGs and love designing things, combine those two - and here we are :D

Over the last couple of days I made 3 custom item concepts for Median. I know, there are a lot of things that are impossible or very hard to do on the good ol' Diablo 2 engine. Understanding that, I decided not to do anything too crazy, at least for now. Having somewhat of a coder background, I see what already exists and make assumptions about how it works. I can be entirely wrong in some of those, so please correct my logic if you see flaws in it. Also, needless to say, the numbers on the items are provisional, they are just placeholders and are up for debate.

All 3 of todays items have a big upside with significant downside, those of you who plays PoE should be very familiar with that trade-off.

► 1. Battle Thirst - SSU Sash

► 2. Divinity - SSSU Throwing Spear

► 3. Diablos Temptation - SSU Amulet

► 4. Bonus

So, whatcha guys think? Did I do well or did I fail miserably with those concepts? I'm open to your high praises and your brutal criticism. I'll probably do more of those in the future, I feel like a bunch of existing items never sees play nowadays and needs a redesign - or some cool orange mod.

Anyway, enough, shoo, gtfo out of my thread already, Merri Christmas, Happy Holidays, stay safe and most importantly have fun :mrgreen:

- V
Edited by Vanarchy 3 months.
Ekital
Grubber
310 | 11
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Battlethirst would be broken beyond belief. I don't mind giving up potions to essentially smack deimoss in a few seconds. lol
Pisunchic
Stygian Watcher
42 | 0
Ekital wrote:Battlethirst would be broken beyond belief. I don't mind giving up potions to essentially smack deimoss in a few seconds. lol

Smack deimoss without potions, hmmmmm? seemms like easiest win
Ekital
Grubber
310 | 11
Donated 25 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Pisunchic wrote:
Ekital wrote:Battlethirst would be broken beyond belief. I don't mind giving up potions to essentially smack deimoss in a few seconds. lol

Smack deimoss without potions, hmmmmm? seemms like easiest win

Hammertime on something like
Maleficence
Maleficence
Maleficence
Tyrannical Blade
One-Hand Damage: 399 to 450
Required Level: 125
Item Level: 110
Dexterity Damage Bonus: (0.13 per Dexterity)%
Strength Damage Bonus: (0.14 per Strength)%
1% Chance to cast level 20 Orb of Annihilation on Striking
+200% Enhanced Damage
+50 to Harbinger
Lightning Resist -100%
(1 to 5)% Chance to Avoid Damage
+3% to Experience Gained
and 5fpa would have insane scaling.

Who needs potions if you just go in and smack.
Siosilvar
Cow Ninja
1223 | 265
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Hmm. Creative but I don't know how well these fit...

Battle Thirst - not possible as is, I think? I'd have to check if we could even add staffmods to potions and if they actually give you stats when slotted into your belt. Would very likely have to be implemented by a code edit in the potion function to refuse to activate if you've got the item on, so might become possible with 3.0.

Divinity - would work. Interesting design, but as is, it forces itself into a boss-fight-only niche and provides nothing to work around the fact that it can't be used while clearing. Slap some physical stats on it for Eviscerate (or gato's blood relic, or ... I guess GT on a different class?), might be functional. Or just change it up to a new oskill that just directly works like PoE Ice Spear, that's probably cleaner.

Diablo's Temptation - should be possible to add to our existing code edits but like, just play hardcore

Energy IED - Irrelevant to cold sorc, melee sorc has a dex IED base. I'm opposed to energy scaling bases on principle but I like the general idea to give melee sorc an energy-scaling option like Azgar on wolf. IED sorc is already struggling without Starhawk so now is not the time to add an even more niche build, but maybe on the future. Maybe as a mastercraft?

> you cube the Javelin by itself to toggle aura visuals on / off, would be a cool thing to have for some other items too.

this requires a duplicate skill and state for every single item aura that would do that and we're somewhat constrained on usable skill slots as is (300-1024 for procs, 1025-2048 for item auras, class skills might have to fit under there too?), though I think it's possible to change save files to update that with 3.0
void
Shadowgate Totem
1771 | 97
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Vanarchy wrote:I'll probably do more of those in the future

Pls do! Very fun ideas :D
Pisunchic
Stygian Watcher
42 | 0
Waiting for a meme items comeback, for example SU club with 500 flat damage but scales with energy, or item that gives 99% avoid and make your HP with 1 point. In memory of old median meme times and crazy strats
Sarahl
Skeleton
2 | 0

Battlethirst seems like an absolute game-changer, bordering on broken! Sacrificing potions for the ability to swiftly defeat Deimoss is a trade-off I'm more than willing to make.
ImmortalPhoenix
Vampiress
37 | 4
Donated 25 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Another long-overdue change we need in v3 is to change the nomenclature of Sacred Unique items.
The SU, SSU, SSSU system is dated.
"Ancient" "Legendary" "Ancestral" "Nephalem's"
c'mon, guys :D
Siosilvar
Cow Ninja
1223 | 265
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
ImmortalPhoenix wrote:Another long-overdue change we need in v3 is to change the nomenclature of Sacred Unique items.
The SU, SSU, SSSU system is dated.
"Ancient" "Legendary" "Ancestral" "Nephalem's"
c'mon, guys :D

why

literally the only difference is item level. they're not acquired in any different way, they're not standardized at different power levels (for the most part), some are just rarer.