Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions

Greetings, boys and girls. Stay awhile and listen

I wish Median and its community the very best, I love this mod - been playing it since 2009 or so, and with Sigma 3 on the horizon I've decided to finally make this thread. The main goal of it is to list some (arguably stupid and/or crazy) ideas that I had over the years, some concepts, some redesign propositions and so forth. Needless to say, by definition, I am subjective and biased about things - just like everyone else. Feel free to leave feedback and constructive criticism.

My main stances on game design

» The more variety to builds there is in the game, the better
» The more customization possibilities of your character there is in the game, the better
» Sometimes it's true that "less is more", but only sometimes
» If an item has seen near-zero use in over a year, it should be buffed / reworked / removed to make space for something better & more interesting. Same for skills and character skill trees
» I prefer buffs to many weak/underused things over nerfs to a few strong/overused ones

► On the subject of Game Balance

Crafting

I love crafting, I genuinely adore making my own items. In Median I've always preferred custom-made rares/honorifics over preset uniques - if they fit my current build and are competitive with SU alternatives. Correspondingly, I prefer oskill builds over the "normal" ones. There is a big similarity between orthodox skill-tree-based builds and children's coloring books: they already have outlines prepared for you - you just fill in the colors.

I always gravitate towards doing my own thing, straying away from the path of "intended" play. In fact, I often try to isolate myself from reading any balance feedback on the latest patches because I want to explore stuff by myself, without anyone telling me, "Oh hey that thing you're doing, it's not any good right now". I'm fine with trying and failing.
By extension, I don't like playing meta builds because I don't want to be yet another clone in the legion of people doing the same thing. And generally speaking: the more established, solved and rigid the meta is, the faster the new season and hype for the new patch die down.

Which brings us to the cornerstone of long-term success for any serious ARPG out there:

Variety and Customization

The more of those there is in a game, the more I enjoy playing it - and the more I want to explore new things. And I believe that is objectively true for most people. One of the biggest parts of customization in ARPGs is, well, crafting of course. Crafting in Median has 3 parts to it:

» Shrinecrafting system - allows creation of custom rares, it is very random, but shrines are plentiful and thus you get many-many tries bruteforcing the mods you're looking for
» Mystic Orb system, which btw I see as one of the best systems ever made in any game - it allows you to take a unique that you've been leveling with and prolong its life by 30-60 levels, maybe even push it into endgame. That system allows you to add pricesely the mods that benefit your build the most, that fix your breakpoints, resists etc
» Luck / Lottery / Corruption system - that one is minor compared to the other two, it's random-based, but there are some huge potential highrolls associated with it

► Shrinecrafting

► Lotteries, HP squish and why 2 is a weak number

Mystic Orbs and Effigies

► Freedom of Choice - Effigy

Corruptions

For now the only thing I'm gonna mention here is making troll mods unrollable on items that do not benefit from those mods in any way (like reduced %requirements on jewelry). And I know, if it was easy to do, that would have been done already. But I'm mentioning it anyway just to create a fake impression that this thread segment is not empty :weirdchamp:

Unique Items and special mods

«Let's not kid ourselves, ARPGs in a nutshell are just Barbie doll dress-up games for grown men»© me

I love top-down designs. Top-down design is when you start with an overall concept, some defining idea - and work your way down, eventually filling in the details. Something as simple as a clever item name can be a catalyst for a top-down design. Those are much more interesting to both make and build around than endgame statsticks. Statsticks simply increase your numbers, endgame statsticks increase your numbers by a lot - that is their purpose. I don't mind them, in fact I think their existence is absolutely mandatory in RPGs, but you won't see me designing many of those. I prefer making items that either actively modify what you do and how you do it - or make you puzzle over how to build a character around this thing :hmm:

Or last - but not least - items that are just fun to use, with potential to create some memorable, hilarious gameplay experiences.

Needless to say, the numbers on the items are provisional and are up for debate.

► 1. End of Trust - SSSU Mask

► 2. Fangless Count - SSU Chain Gloves

► 3. Paradoxica - SSU Scimitar

► 4. Equilibrium - a mod-enabling mechanic

My previous thread with custom unique items (might rework Divinity at a later date since I was pretty clueless about Ice Lances current state when I designed an item for it)

► Meme items

Updates to existing Skills

► Resurrect

► Faerie Fire

New oskills

► 1. Reverberating Effigy

► 2. Recoil

► 3. Orb of Eradication

► 4. Sacrificial Altar

QoL things

Vessel for Signets of Learning + syphon functionality for them
- Greater Signet of Learning + Oil of Craft -> Vessel
- Right-clicking the vessel syphons all singular, Large and Greater Signets of Learning from your inventory, cube and stash.
- Vessel probably shouldn't syphon Custom signets of learning to reduce the number of cube recipes needed.
- Cubing the vessel by itself takes out a Greater Signet (x25) if vessel has enough signets in it. If not, it takes out a Large Signet (x5) if vessel has enough signets in it. If not, it takes out a singular Signet of Learning.

Increased maximum gold carried and stashed gold cap at higher levels
- Although it can be argued that current gold caps contribute to the realm economy - making people trade for gold from time to time - those trades are still pretty rare (mostly related to Scosglen charm completion) and their influence is minimal.
- Stashed Gold cap could be rebalanced to keep scaling up until the max character level - to something like 3.5 mil (compared to 2.5 mil cap we currently have)
- Carried Gold cap scaling could be slightly increased (to reach ~2.5 mil carried at level 150) - to decrease the frequency at which you need to stash/spend it (currently you have to do it after every ~3 lab runs / 2 Fauzt clears)

Big Boss Portals
- It would be nice to get a permanent red portal to Deimoss's Antechamber once you reach it at the end of lab 10. Such portals would be a nice standard for all endgame bosses that future holds for us.

Gamble filter reset button
- A secondary button near the filter one to clear all the selections. Very minor and super low priority, but I saw someone ask for it on Discord and decided to write it down

To-do list

» Shrinecrafting and rares in general - updates to the pool of mods
» UMOs and effigies
» Some redesigns for the existing unique items
» Thoughts on how to prolong season longevity so that they don't die as fast
» Special Orbs from Endgame Bosses
» More custom uniques, oskills and QoL ideas
» Better formatting for better readability

This thread is going to be updated over time, I will be adding more things to it when I can
Edited by Vanarchy 3 weeks.
Vanarchy
Sand Maggot
1155 | 47
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Reserved.
Vanarchy
Sand Maggot
1155 | 47
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Reserved.

Your advertisement could be here. Kappa
Rusev
Balrog
125 | 6
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
I think the actual owner of the rights of the mod should just wrapped up and sell it to blizzard.
Maertsy
Rust Claw
87 | 8
Love your ideas and respect your effort. My feedback:

- Resurrect relic should not give the % life regen. Resurrect Snapshot features maybe impossible to code because of old game engine.

- Paradoxica is super hard to scale, why it gives only 90% of the stats diff? I would double that number. Comparing to default easy scale weapons: throwing axe and crystal sword give 45% of a stat; 2 handed ele give like 80% of a stat. But fuck balance right?

- Equilibrium: aw yiss perfectly balanced, as all things should be. But it takes us years to exactly equalize the stats. Because each of them are already multiplied by a different % number. How about making this acceptable: 1010 str, 1013 dex, 1015 vit, 1019 ene.

- Freedom of Choice effigy. +all skills itself is a very valuable stat in the game. +12 alls on a Elemental Disciple is crazy. Even if you make this effigy turns just your own class +skills into +alls, and make the item become your class only, then the effigy is still OP.

- The OoB skill is inadequate with your creativity.

- I love your thoughts more than the skills/items. And in future please consider giving ideas to early game skills/items, too.
imngocson
Acid Prince
48 | 2
Kudos for all ideas. Some of those are really interesting!
p2w
Mahasattva
911 | 58
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Great Auction Badge
Won 200 auctions
I totally agree with your stance on game design and game balance
Taem
Necrobot
2476 | 151
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Regarding your proposition on Shrinecrafts, I'm not sure I understand the purpose of separating 0-Skills, not the assumption you'd need less shrines to craft what you want. This seems to speak directly from your own personal experience, but not necessarily everyone else'. My experience is quite difference in that when I am crafting gloves or boots for my sorc, for example, after rolling a perfect superior item, I am then looking for a perfect Shrine roll of -enemy element resist combined with +element damage and +skills. Of course +'s to mana/energy/spell focus is ideal, but not necessary. Then, you bless that shit and if the roll of the Bless is also not perfect on -enemy resists, then you start all over... You need a perfect craft, esp endgame, and this can take eons of rolls! My point is if your proposition is to reduce the time finding that perfect O-skill, then your suggestion is a fine one for people looking for 0-Skill builds, however if your suggestion is to reduce the number of shrines used for people making crafts like me, then it really doesn't do much; I hardly see any O-skills pop up on my crafts so, it might save me possibly 3-5% of my shines, but not enough to make a huge difference, IMO. Perhaps I am simply misunderstanding your suggestion, if you'd like to elaborate?
GodlyPancakes
Dark Huntress
10 | 0
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
I agree with how you said things that are unused should be removed/replaced
TopDimas
Sasquatch
67 | 3
da etomy balansu poxyi chto tbI napisal :clap: