Suggestions for upcoming patch

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.
Heathen
Sucks at guitar!
803 | 61
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Basically everyone will have their own subjective biases in terms of what sort of mechanics they would enjoy, or actively want in an ARPG. The perfect game only really exists temporarily. And a lot of people really don't even know what they want in an ARPG, but think they do. This being said, the direction I would take regarding the current state of Median;

Remove the Challenges. That is just a slap in the face to the pacing. I know Marco and the team know's this, I'm basically just saying I agree.

Make enemies that are capable of off screen attacks (Gothi, Manglers etc) deal moderately less damage. This keeps the challenge somewhat fair for ranged, but will be far less dangerous for melee builds, which are inherently going to take far more damage.

Make minions slightly tankier. Not because I think they're weak, but because the incessant re summoning is what turns most people off to the build. Either that, or give them far higher damage, so the summoner takes an active roll, and has to use summons like a spell; high damage, frequent casting. Although, who knows how i'd feel after trying it. Maybe summoners are just going to be inherently boring to some people, i dunno.

The idea of Barb Shaman is great, but setting him up as a hybrid summon/ melee is not something that will feel good, or be very effective at all.

RMB stances are a huge turn-off.

Witches do not add enjoyment to the game.
Goodkidscc
Core Lord
369 | 0
Heathen wrote:Basically everyone will have their own subjective biases in terms of what sort of mechanics they would enjoy, or actively want in an ARPG. The perfect game only really exists temporarily. And a lot of people really don't even know what they want in an ARPG, but think they do. This being said, the direction I would take regarding the current state of Median;

Remove the Challenges. That is just a slap in the face to the pacing. I know Marco and the team know's this, I'm basically just saying I agree.

Make enemies that are capable of off screen attacks (Gothi, Manglers etc) deal moderately less damage. This keeps the challenge somewhat fair for ranged, but will be far less dangerous for melee builds, which are inherently going to take far more damage.

Make minions slightly tankier. Not because I think they're weak, but because the incessant re summoning is what turns most people off to the build. Either that, or give them far higher damage, so the summoner takes an active roll, and has to use summons like a spell; high damage, frequent casting. Although, who knows how i'd feel after trying it. Maybe summoners are just going to be inherently boring to some people, i dunno.

The idea of Barb Shaman is great, but setting him up as a hybrid summon/ melee is not something that will feel good, or be very effective at all.

RMB stances are a huge turn-off.

Witches do not add enjoyment to the game.

I agree with all of this 100%. I will cookie this when I am able to.
patlefort
Sasquatch
63 | 1
Here's my few suggestions:

Make really powerful, one shot or really high damage such as rocks falling skill from monsters telegraphed.

Keep witches if you want but make them more obvious. Sometime I see them on screen but I don't hear them. They're supposed to laugh when they attack but sometimes I don't hear it either.

I want to be able to see my minion stats. Basically I want as many stats as possible displayed for everything for your character.

Improved aiming/targeting. Maybe make melee skills auto aim nearest target if nothing is targeted and when current target dies? Make attack in place continue attacking even if your target is dead?

Move-only button. Absolutely needed, it's hard to move around without clicking on items, monsters, objects, minions, etc.

Item looting and object activation(opening doors, chest, etc) button. Can be made an option.

Make the mouse cursor not move when you open your inventory.

Playing should be better informed about level challenges so they don't level past and realize it later.

A problem I have in many arpgs is the damage being so random. Are you gonna get crit 10 times in a row and die in 0.2 sec or are you gonna dodge/block and take 0? It makes the game a russian roulette. I'm just asking to not go overboard.

Shared stash space. Save us time and pain and save you server resource so we don't have to run 2 games constantly.

Putting stuff in your stash or out of your stash quickly with a key combination like ctrl+click.

Linux support? (One can dream) I can play D2 through WINE right now.
Crash
Madawc
6799 | 327
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
patlefort wrote:I want to be able to see my minion stats. Basically I want as many stats as possible displayed for everything for your character.

@Tools Section --> D2Stats.

patlefort wrote:Improved aiming/targeting. Maybe make melee skills auto aim nearest target if nothing is targeted and when current target dies?

Put attack skill on RMB, hold RMB.

patlefort wrote:Make attack in place continue attacking even if your target is dead?

Hold Shift + LMB with attack on LMB. Also.. why? If the target is dead, why do you need to keep attacking anyways?

patlefort wrote:Move-only button. Absolutely needed, it's hard to move around without clicking on items, monsters, objects, minions, etc.

Hold your show item button = aren't able to click on enemies, chests, doors, etc.

patlefort wrote:Item looting and object activation(opening doors, chest, etc) button. Can be made an option.

See one statement above ^

patlefort wrote:Playing should be better informed about level challenges so they don't level past and realize it later.

There have been many steps taken to let players know of challenges. There's only so much that can be done. Can't force a player to use their brain and read a doc or statue in your inventory when you begin with it, especially on a new mod (for some players). Reading is generally a common recommendation so you're aware of what has changed. A lot of guides also mention these challenges too.
patlefort
Sasquatch
63 | 1
LHawkins1 wrote:
patlefort wrote:I want to be able to see my minion stats. Basically I want as many stats as possible displayed for everything for your character.

@Tools Section --> D2Stats.

patlefort wrote:Improved aiming/targeting. Maybe make melee skills auto aim nearest target if nothing is targeted and when current target dies?

Put attack skill on RMB, hold RMB.

patlefort wrote:Make attack in place continue attacking even if your target is dead?

Hold Shift + LMB with attack on LMB. Also.. why? If the target is dead, why do you need to keep attacking anyways?

patlefort wrote:Move-only button. Absolutely needed, it's hard to move around without clicking on items, monsters, objects, minions, etc.

Hold your show item button = aren't able to click on enemies, chests, doors, etc.

patlefort wrote:Item looting and object activation(opening doors, chest, etc) button. Can be made an option.

See one statement above ^

patlefort wrote:Playing should be better informed about level challenges so they don't level past and realize it later.

There have been many steps taken to let players know of challenges. There's only so much that can be done. Can't force a player to use their brain and read a doc or statue in your inventory when you begin with it, especially on a new mod (for some players). Reading is generally a common recommendation so you're aware of what has changed. A lot of guides also mention these challenges too.

D2Stats doesn't work through WINE and I'm talking about the new client.

I can't use RMB for attack skills because of stances. I shouldn't have to hold a button to move-only, something I always need, the opposite is simpler and saner. Beside you can still loot items. Just do it like Path of Exile does it and add a move-only action in the skill list.

Your character will stop attacking when a target die if you target it when you start attacking regardless of if you pressed the attack in-place button. So to attack the next target you have to click again. The way around it is to make sure you don't target anything. I don't know if you noticed but monsters usually come in packs and they love moving around. I don't want my character to stop attacking when I got a bunch of monsters on me. Attack in-place should attack continually on the direction you aim regardless of targeting.

As for level challenge, they're easy to miss for a newbie when you already have so much information to read.
Crash
Madawc
6799 | 327
Great Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
patlefort wrote:Just do it like Path of Exile does it and add a move-only action in the skill list.

Here we go again with the "Made Median into PoE" argument.

patlefort wrote:Your character will stop attacking when a target die if you target it when you start attacking regardless of if you pressed the attack in-place button. So to attack the next target you have to click again. The way around it is to make sure you don't target anything. I don't know if you noticed but monsters usually come in packs and they love moving around. I don't want my character to stop attacking when I got a bunch of monsters on me. Attack in-place should attack continually on the direction you aim regardless of targeting.

Press and hold LMB with your attack without targeting monster. He will run. Click shift. He will stop and swing. Let go of shift, he will continue to run. rinse and repeat.

Also, yes. I did notice that monsters don't come one-by-one, thank you :)
patlefort
Sasquatch
63 | 1
LHawkins1 wrote:
patlefort wrote:Just do it like Path of Exile does it and add a move-only action in the skill list.

Here we go again with the "Made Median into PoE" argument.

patlefort wrote:Your character will stop attacking when a target die if you target it when you start attacking regardless of if you pressed the attack in-place button. So to attack the next target you have to click again. The way around it is to make sure you don't target anything. I don't know if you noticed but monsters usually come in packs and they love moving around. I don't want my character to stop attacking when I got a bunch of monsters on me. Attack in-place should attack continually on the direction you aim regardless of targeting.

Press and hold LMB with your attack without targeting monster. He will run. Click shift. He will stop and swing. Let go of shift, he will continue to run. rinse and repeat.

Also, yes. I did notice that monsters don't come one-by-one, thank you :)

I just brought PoE because they did it right, and it's a game largely based on diablo 2.

Your way won't work because I also need to cast other skills. I don't understand what are you arguing about, how is your way better?
Crash
Madawc
6799 | 327
Great Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
patlefort wrote:Your way won't work because I also need to cast other skills. I don't understand what are you arguing about, how is your way better?

You can still skill switch. I don't understand your confusion.

Example:

"I want to use Stormblast with Wolf Stance, but don't want to have to namelock an enemy and spam clicks to kill things."

RMB = Wolf Stance

Say... F1 = Stormblast, F2 = Jitan's Gate for the sake of the example.

Hold LMB to walk. Get in melee range of your target, press and hold shift to swing axe/sword to use Stormblast. If it's not working, you're too far away for the weapon's range (i.e. get closer).

"But now I want use Jitan's Gate to get across this gap quickly."

Hold LMB to walk, get in melee range of target, shift to attack, release shift to move again. While still holding LMB, you can switch to F2, which will teleport you as soon as you press shift to cast it, wherever you're aimed at, then quickly switch back to F1 to keep running and/or use stormblast with shift again.
DeaTh
Cog
206 | 16
̶S̶u̶g̶g̶e̶s̶t̶i̶o̶n̶s̶ Wishes for upcoming patch:
Stability for servers :oops:
patlefort
Sasquatch
63 | 1
LHawkins1 wrote:
patlefort wrote:Your way won't work because I also need to cast other skills. I don't understand what are you arguing about, how is your way better?

You can still skill switch. I don't understand your confusion.

Example:

"I want to use Stormblast with Wolf Stance, but don't want to have to namelock an enemy and spam clicks to kill things."

RMB = Wolf Stance

Say... F1 = Stormblast, F2 = Jitan's Gate for the sake of the example.

Hold LMB to walk. Get in melee range of your target, press and hold shift to swing axe/sword to use Stormblast. If it's not working, you're too far away for the weapon's range (i.e. get closer).

"But now I want use Jitan's Gate to get across this gap quickly."

Hold LMB to walk, get in melee range of target, shift to attack, release shift to move again. While still holding LMB, you can switch to F2, which will teleport you as soon as you press shift to cast it, wherever you're aimed at, then quickly switch back to F1 to keep running and/or use stormblast with shift again.

How is it better? Now I'll have to always hold a key whenever I want to stop moving and my character will always attack so I have to wait between animations to move again. It's also extremely counter intuitive. How about giving people the choice? More options the better.