do you guys think that there are too many SU in median? (poll)

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.

are there too many sacred uniques in median xl?

yes
57%
no
33%
perfect amount
11%

Total votes: 46

Marco
Team Member
1952 | 1347
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Multiplayer Badge
Has won a multiplayer contest
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
shnurr214 wrote:sometimes less is more.

Vouch on this. There is too much junk when it comes to uniques.

There are too many junk factors already. For example, let's say you're playing a treewarden druid. What are the odds of you finding an unique weapon that you can use? Well if you get any class specific you are already screwed, and then axe is just one of several item types. In case of armors, the filter lies on whether the item is based for caster, summoner, wdm or whatever.

So, finding items suitable for your current character is already difficult. If on top of that you have junk items it only makes the farming process much more tedious and un-enjoyable which is why many people get frustrated and end up using itempacks. All the guides are telling you over and over that you need X specific item on each gear slot, because other items on those slots are junk. Just look at SU armors for example, most of them are trash - not even mention many uniques are leftovers from median 2008.

Uniques should be unique, the problem is that they have become the standard so junk is needed in order to keep them balanced. This isn't optimal.

----

What will happen in sigma as mentioned before is that one layer of uniques will effectively be removed. This is just one of several overhauls involving all uniques (included tiered) and items in general. I can see how some people might not be extremely happy about it, but that just shows a lack of empathy towards newer players. It's just not obvious which stats are useful when watching an unique. Removing junk is part of the process of making median more intuitive (which is the main barrier for the growth of our playerbase). I can guarantee the full overhaul (more details will follow eventually... or not) will be positive to both existing players, but especially to new ones, and it will shake the metagame big time, which will give sigma that fresher feel.
Mehasto
Balrog
123 | 4
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
There's one aspect of the number of uniques that I feel is under-utilized. As someone else mentioned, the large number of SUs allows more frequent drops and there's still a level of excitement in identifying what the item turns out to be, but I think this could be more elaborate.

Let me give an example of what I think could be great:

1) You pick up a unique, sacred long staff
2) You use a scroll of identification and the item information is revealed in steps:
3) First, the name is revealed, in this case a 'Shamanka'
4) Second, the key possible stats are briefly displayed, in this case for example "+3-6 Sorc Skills, +6-16 Bloodlust"
5) Third, the key actual stats are revealed, like "+4 Sorc Skills, +11 Bloodlust".
6) Last, all stats are revealed. Key stats are still displayed in a slightly different color

For me, this would prolong the identification excitement AND make it a little easier for new joiners to understand why an item might be really good - or at least what to look for.
Nitz
Harpylisk
1476 | 57
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
There is too much stuff that every on striking WDM based class needs. Needs more solutions for that. Caster items are pretty restricted too. Too much junk, yes. Too many SUs? No.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Problem with median first is there weapon type that not all classes even use.

You can tweak or make all unique more flavourfull, but which classes gonna use certain weapon setup without losing too much damage potential?

1. Throwing knives (not class specific, but only sin use it)
2. Javelin (again, zon only)
3. Axe (even again barb only)
4. Wand / Orb (2hand staff give much better DPS usually)
5. Weak weapon like axe / club / 1hand sword etc

Newer ultimative patch does address some of weapon usage (sword for wolf, 1hand axe for dual barb)
I really wish for each weapon have different purpose than having similar generic affix pool (like having sceptre more toward dex caster gear)
archon256
Cog
227 | 10
Legendary Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
It used to be that 2h staves were worse than orbs for Sorcs, and Laz buffed their animation to make them better, and now they're too strong. :lol:

Maybe Moonstrike should be usable with orbs too? It was initially restricted to staves and warp blades because melee needs the defense and make up for the lack of a shield when you use a staff. But now that staves offer better offense it seems unnecessary to exclude orbs.