SP vs. Realm

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.
robinro
Azure Drake
162 | 4
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
What are your personal reasons to play on realm instead of playing single player?

Competetive character? Realm only items? Playing with other ppl? Other reasons?

Since i dont have the time for massive grinding and am playing solo most of the time anyway, im thinking about switching from realm to sp.
Although the realm-only features are really fun, the higher droprates on sp are appealing to me (and the option to use multires+plugy).
I would definitely play realm if i had more time and some guys i could play with on a regular basis.

Now i would like to know why other communitymembers play on realm.

The thing I like most about realm is, that you can easily play with friends on a stable server without the need of hamachi or other programms.
I even like the decreased droprate when i play with friends, because it makes the whole grinding, finding loot and sharing/trading much more exciting.

Opinions?
Edited by robinro 7 years.
Marco
Team Member
1952 | 1347
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Multiplayer Badge
Has won a multiplayer contest
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
tons of features , for me the main ones are:
> ladder ranks, reset racing is fun as hell
> chatting in the channel
> meeting new ppl and talking with current friends

But one of the most important is that it forces you to play clean. Duping is so accessible in SP that some time it feels like why would you waste some hours farming meph for crystals when you can just copy pasterino. You have more alternatives in MP.

I see no advantages in playing SP. Multires is straight out a cheat because it makes tons of skills stronger and monsters don't even see you. You can teleport to greater distances and thus there are more shortcuts. PlugY feels nice but in the end all it does is promote twinking which makes the game boring and pointless.
robinro
Azure Drake
162 | 4
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
yeah... i never understood why someone would do such a thing and ruin the game for themselves.
not just with median but every cheater in the world. do you even get some form of "accomplishment" from that? especially in single player?
i can understand the motives of cheating multiplayer trolls but not why i would ever cheat in sp, except for testing purposes or sth similar.

but then im using multires :D
never saw it like that though, since it hadnt that much of an impact on the builds i played, but you sure have a point.
Icegod101
Djinn
534 | 17
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Marco wrote:tons of features , for me the main ones are:
> ladder ranks, reset racing is fun as hell
> chatting in the channel
> meeting new ppl and talking with current friends

Adding on advantages:

>Secret RW's like
The Creep
(still secret) and Xis-enhanced words
>Rejoin Cheese
>Trading community
Bigtoe
Prowler
19 | 3
I play on realm, but i dont play with anyone or trade. but i like having the option to do that if i want to.

Only advantage i see with sp is plugy, and while i do find stash space extremely precious... it's not enough to get me into it.
Stealthmaster
Godsman Guard
3902 | 155
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
I've left SP for realm. Main reason is the secret stuff and rejoin feature which make leveling faster (don't have to start a new game if you suddenly die to a dungeon boss and can't recover your body).

As for advantages of SP... Didn't find any, except maybe testing builds in case you can twink 90% of the gear you gathered with previous chars. This ladder, in order to test a new build, which I have never tested on SP, I spent a good bunch of TG, so if you are starting from zero and willing to play a build that requires rare stuff (for example, wolf druid) and can't donate somehow, you have to farm the stuff with another build so you can trade items you find for desired ones. Although there's another side of farming - when you suddenly find a super rare SSSU, which, in comparison with SP, where you just pick that item from a Shared Stash, provides much more fun on realm.
princeigor
Bone Archer
79 | 10
Stealthmaster wrote:I've left SP for realm. Main reason is the secret stuff and rejoin feature which make leveling faster (don't have to start a new game if you suddenly die to a dungeon boss and can't recover your body).

As for advantages of SP... Didn't find any, except maybe testing builds in case you can twink 90% of the gear you gathered with previous chars. This ladder, in order to test a new build, which I have never tested on SP, I spent a good bunch of TG, so if you are starting from zero and willing to play a build that requires rare stuff (for example, wolf druid) and can't donate somehow, you have to farm the stuff with another build so you can trade items you find for desired ones. Although there's another side of farming - when you suddenly find a super rare SSSU, which, in comparison with SP, where you just pick that item from a Shared Stash, provides much more fun on realm.

Wait, what rejoin feature? How does it speed up leveling? What have I missed in my realm noobiness?
Stealthmaster
Godsman Guard
3902 | 155
Great Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
princeigor wrote:Wait, what rejoin feature? How does it speed up leveling? What have I missed in my realm noobiness?

Untwinked and underpowered char dies in Rathma's Square (where it's very hard to recover your body, even with opened TP) - you rejoin and re-enter the uber, already knowing where Gore Crawlers are. Imagine how many runs you do on SP to 1) kill Primus; 2) grab the charm which has 1/6 chance to drop; 3) get a charm with good %AR - in case you're playing a str-based build who lacks killspeed to instantly take Primus down. Probably lots. With rejoining you will reach your goal faster as you will kill Primus on every run even with a weak character so you can proceed further in the game earlier than on SP (not quite 'leveling', but you got the idea).
Anonymous:
Memelistas
2975 | 437
Great Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Stealthmaster wrote:With rejoining you will reach your goal faster as you will kill Primus on every run even with a weak character so you can proceed further in the game earlier than on SP (not quite 'leveling', but you got the idea).

And that is a bad thing. This enables people with any level of skill to do almost anything. This no brain exit and rejoin thing really kills the challenge in most cases. But not for long.
mahitovec
twitch.tv/mahitovec
1799 | 190
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Showcase Badge
Bored at work? Come watch my stream!
Common Guide Badge