MedianXL and Bad Math

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.
RequiemLux
Sand Maggot
1125 | 288
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
sappersummoner wrote:In it, it talks about how players attack speed is directly related to the rendering of animations, again, not a secret world
behind the scenes we can't see, but instead - literally what players can plainly see with their own eyes.

I dunno why that assumption is made but I guess it's because the internal speed and the rendered speed just happened to be the same in an optimal SP setting, making it easier to jump to conclusions (D2 is a very old game, nowdays it tends to be different). But, as I've said, it doesn't matter how much rendered frames you can cram into an animation, the internal speed is 25 FPS and the game will still register and check at those subdivisions intervals what is going on and that doesn't change at arbitrary numbers of visual frames.
Siosilvar
Cow Ninja
1223 | 265
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
The game engine runs at 25 ticks per second. The number of frames drawn by the graphics renderer has absolutely nothing to do with the game itself. Those frames generated by d2dx and d2gl? Yeah, those don't actually exist in Diablo 2. If you've ever seen some older hand drawn 24fps animation like Cinderella interpolated to a messy 60fps by a TV, same thing. Doesn't affect what's actually under the hood, just what's being shown to you.

I'm locking this thread. Learn a bit more about how the game works before you go off about "bad math" or whatever.

edit: actually, I'm kind of curious how the absolute fuck you think that having a tick rate that varies with each player's displayed FPS can possibly work in multiplayer, but not enough to unlock the thread and listen to any more of this drivel