Short Questions Thread

Discuss Median XL!
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Is there somewhere I can read about all the random rules that median xl has? First I find out that white bows can't get the ed from lucky oils, only the AR. Next I find out that sigil of absolution will only work on levels added by UMOs and not effigies resulting in an incredible bow that I will never be able to use. And now I just discovered that taha runes overwrite the existing max dmg that a weapon already has. It is extremely frustrating to plan out a character build and make investments towards it only to find out that once put into practice there is some random hidden rule that throws a monkey wrench into the works. If these are rules could someone please make them clear in the game or at the very least document them on the site? If not could someone pleeeeeeeeeease fix them because I know that the "bug" where you can't get ed from a lucky oil on a white bow has existed for at least 3 ladder seasons now.
Chooch
Thunder Beetle
56 | 0
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
are any devs able to tell me if non-ladder characters will be reset for the big upcoming content update? thanks
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1455 | 64
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Chooch wrote:are any devs able to tell me if non-ladder characters will be reset for the big upcoming content update? thanks

All characters will become incompatible.
blatkill
Core Lord
388 | 32
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Istaryu wrote:
Chooch wrote:are any devs able to tell me if non-ladder characters will be reset for the big upcoming content update? thanks

No official information until now
xi_cyrus_ix
Imp
5 | 0
Semigloss wrote:
xi_cyrus_ix wrote:One can die 456 times to the same boss' one-shotters and still win eventually. Seems counter-intuitive to spend that many hours developing such an easily circumvented formula....

This is pretty much softcore mode in any rpg game? Plus there's lockout timers on some bosses now. You could always play hardcore.

I agree - but one only plays hardcore in a game that has a fair difficulty level.

I personally think this is the reason why the hardcore community has such a small following -- hours of one's life lost on epeen one-hitters isn't worth it.

I'm not saying it's a bad game -- quite the contrary. It's simply a game one should take only so seriously. Otherwise, the insta-deaths and random auto-kills wouldn't be as comical. ;)

I mean - fighting random monsters only to stumble upon a random (non-boss) monster that destroys is kind of the epitomy of lazy, artificial difficult.

I guess though - this is why Laz makes a living off this kind of stuff now, but the rest not so much. Perhaps someone needs to study a page out of his book. Quality results in financial success - not epeen;)

Oh and inb4 banned because I hit a nerve. If that nerve hurts that much, maybe it's time to learn and you, too may one day be a financial success like the original creator :D
demoner
Acid Prince
49 | 4
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
xi_cyrus_ix wrote:
Semigloss wrote:
xi_cyrus_ix wrote:One can die 456 times to the same boss' one-shotters and still win eventually. Seems counter-intuitive to spend that many hours developing such an easily circumvented formula....

This is pretty much softcore mode in any rpg game? Plus there's lockout timers on some bosses now. You could always play hardcore.

I agree - but one only plays hardcore in a game that has a fair difficulty level.

I personally think this is the reason why the hardcore community has such a small following -- hours of one's life lost on epeen one-hitters isn't worth it.

I'm not saying it's a bad game -- quite the contrary. It's simply a game one should take only so seriously. Otherwise, the insta-deaths and random auto-kills wouldn't be as comical. ;)

I mean - fighting random monsters only to stumble upon a random (non-boss) monster that destroys is kind of the epitomy of lazy, artificial difficult.

I guess though - this is why Laz makes a living off this kind of stuff now, but the rest not so much. Perhaps someone needs to study a page out of his book. Quality results in financial success - not epeen;)

Oh and inb4 banned because I hit a nerve. If that nerve hurts that much, maybe it's time to learn and you, too may one day be a financial success like the original creator :D

Hardcore in these types of games is almost always made up of a small percentage of the playerbase. Hardcore players usually tend to fall into one of two camps: those that wish to challenge themselves to tackle the game in it's entirety at the highest stakes, and those that are so good they want to show off.

I never got the whole "artificial difficulty" arguement. Is requiring maxed resists to get through hell artificial? Is having high physical res and high life pool extremely beneficial to get through Fautz? What about having many bosses with specific mechanics that are required to learn to beat them? I think that's just difficulty.

IMO artificial is when it's just damage soak for the sake of it. This game has gear progression, and if you're getting one shotted by normal mobs you need to figure out why, and then apply the solution. Typically it's just more health, higher max resists, defense, summons or mechanical play that will get you to the next level.
Semigloss
Onyx Knight
601 | 26
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Does the skill level of a proc count as base levels for that skill?
altoiddealer
Djinn
532 | 36
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
blatkill wrote:
Istaryu wrote:

No official information until now

At about the beginning of this season, In the single player and Nonladder discord channel, Marco stated that no existing characters will be compatible with MXL 2.0. I haven’t seen any other official mention of it but if you look back in the chat log, I’d say that’s official enough!
xi_cyrus_ix
Imp
5 | 0
demoner wrote:
xi_cyrus_ix wrote:
Semigloss wrote:

I guess though - this is why Laz makes a living off this kind of stuff now, but the rest not so much. Perhaps someone needs to study a page out of his book. Quality results in financial success - not epeen;) .

Hardcore in these types of games is almost always made up of a small percentage of the playerbase. Hardcore players usually tend to fall into one of two camps: those that wish to challenge themselves to tackle the game in it's entirety at the highest stakes, and those that are so good they want to show off.

I never got the whole "artificial difficulty" arguement. Is requiring maxed resists to get through hell artificial? Is having high physical res and high life pool extremely beneficial to get through Fautz? What about having many bosses with specific mechanics that are required to learn to beat them? I think that's just difficulty.

IMO artificial is when it's just damage soak for the sake of it. This game has gear progression, and if you're getting one shotted by normal mobs you need to figure out why, and then apply the solution. Typically it's just more health, higher max resists, defense, summons or mechanical play that will get you to the next level.

----------

To be fair, there were far more hardcore players in D2 vs this game. Logic suggests that it's because this game relies far too much on the "ticking time-bomb" strategy for difficulty.

When one already has max resists, 9k life, all tier 4 uniques specific to their build (Yes, I know to farm Naithalak or whatever his name is) and dies to a random type of monster in nightmare while demolishing the rest of random monsters, you have a difficulty imbalance that is presumably allowed to remain in existence for all of these patches because it strokes certain egos.

This type of artificial difficulty is why games like ESO failed miserably. This is why games like POE decided they need to tone it down a bit because cheap, epeen/ego boosting cheap shots are not the way to retain a player base. Diablo 3 learned this lesson as well very quickly.

Again, I am not hating on anyone's work -- I still play, I just know how serious to take the game (which is very, very little) and laugh at the cheese when it occurs. Who doesn't love a good comedy? :D

It just seems very clear to me that the NEW devs after Laz left got in over their heads, made way too many open-ended-OP possibilities and simply OPed certain things to compensate. I get they are doing this for free, so, if that's what they think works so be it.

Honestly? I don't care if I die 456 times to a boss -- it's not my work cheapened by said workarounds when it shouldn't be that way from the start. It's funny, honestly :D

There's a reason this mod has less average players than the rest. It speaks volumes on it's own
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1455 | 64
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
xi_cyrus_ix wrote:
demoner wrote:
xi_cyrus_ix wrote:
Semigloss wrote:

I guess though - this is why Laz makes a living off this kind of stuff now, but the rest not so much. Perhaps someone needs to study a page out of his book. Quality results in financial success - not epeen;) .

----------

To be fair, there were far more hardcore players in D2 vs this game. Logic suggests that it's because this game relies far too much on the "ticking time-bomb" strategy for difficulty.

When one already has max resists, 9k life, all tier 4 uniques specific to their build (Yes, I know to farm Naithalak or whatever his name is) and dies to a random type of monster in nightmare while demolishing the rest of random monsters, you have a difficulty imbalance that is presumably allowed to remain in existence for all of these patches because it strokes certain egos.

This type of artificial difficulty is why games like ESO failed miserably. This is why games like POE decided they need to tone it down a bit because cheap, epeen/ego boosting cheap shots are not the way to retain a player base. Diablo 3 learned this lesson as well very quickly.

Again, I am not hating on anyone's work -- I still play, I just know how serious to take the game (which is very, very little) and laugh at the cheese when it occurs. Who doesn't love a good comedy? :D

It just seems very clear to me that the NEW devs after Laz left got in over their heads, made way too many open-ended-OP possibilities and simply OPed certain things to compensate. I get they are doing this for free, so, if that's what they think works so be it.

Honestly? I don't care if I die 456 times to a boss -- it's not my work cheapened by said workarounds when it shouldn't be that way from the start. It's funny, honestly :D

There's a reason this mod has less average players than the rest. It speaks volumes on it's own

Let's adress a few points here:

1, HC has always been a thing for experienced players. If you dont have experience with the mod, dont play hc. I consider myself above the average player, I can get up to 120 on pretty much any build without dying and trying hard. If you die to a random elite mob in nightmare, its not the game's fault, its your fault, for not knowing how to deal with it.

2, There is a mechanic that prevents you from corpserunning bosses: lockout. If you die after the timer runs out, you cant go back if you die.

3, All oneshot mechanics were removed from the game with sigma, and the ones that remain are very well telegraphed and delayed. If you die to them, it is again your fault, and not the game's. For example, Diablo's flamestrike.

4, If you think Laz's versions were better, and the "new devs after Laz" made it worse, you cant be more wrong. Laz's versions were littered with oneshots, they were everywhere, and ubers were EXTREMELY difficult. 'member old ureh, or belial, anyone? There way a mechanic called heroic shield, which gave the boss random resists which changed like every 2 seconds. You had to wait until you got lucky and have the resist to your element drop below 100 so you could 1shot the boss, and you could only survive for only a few seconds before you died. Now, that was literally coprserunning, that was most of the endgame there.

5, This mod is one of the most popular mods out there, i have no idea where you got the assumption that it has less players than the rest. There are still 2k players logging in every day on average, how many mods can say that? Maybe project diablo 2, and thats it. SOURCE