(10 to 40)% Movement Speed
+(23 to 25)% to Physical/Magic Spell Damage
+(18 to 20)% to Fire Spell Damage
+(18 to 20)% to Poison Spell Damage
+(109 to 126)% Enhanced Defense
+(36 to 40) to Energy
Requirements -40%
Socketed (4)

For your reference, I used to exclusively champion Wakes over Vision, but after doing this analysis, I have realized there are places for both in the game, depending on your progression and distribution of stats gained from equipment.

You can mouse over them here to see their stat rolls, but I will also post pictures for side-by-side illustrative purposes.

While Wakes do look somewhat inferior in this light, please keep in mind that Wakes generally have the benefit of 3-4x as many levels for Mystic Orbs and 4 Sockets, unlike Vision. The in-depth analysis below will explain exactly what numbers those entail, as well as my assumptions.

► Show Spoiler

Conclusions:

Vision wins in defenses (such as flat life and max res), assuming your overcapped Elemental Resistance for Lab is covered elsewhere. You don't really need the Max Res in Fauzt, but it will be nice in Lab and also in Scosglen. It is an item you will build in late-game as a caster as you try to optimize every piece of gear to be more defensive while still maintaining an offensive standard.

Wakes win in cost (being cheap) and damage output (offensive stats). You will probably use these as you start to roll Spell Focus onto Jewels, which will make the Bonus Spell Focus really kick in, and especially if you're playing a PMSD, Fire, or Poison caster. They're actually easier to wear than Rabbit's Foot (4), hilariously enough, due to the -40% Requirement. As you roll better jewels and level up, you will continue to use Wakes and fill them out with Mystic Orbs. They can also be defensive, with 4 sockets allowing for the use of lotteried Unique jewels.

See below for summarized reasons why, based on details/assumptions in the spoiler above.

Vision Direct Stat Comparison:
Has 1% max Ele Res: Wakes would need 3-4 Zann Esu to be comparable.

Basically the only source of pierce on any boots aside from 4 Farsights. (and
Spirit Walker
Spirit Walker
Heavy Boots (Sacred)

Defense: 696 to 737
Required Level: 100
Required Strength: 550
Item Level: 120
+1% Physical Resist per 18% Mana Regeneration
+2 to All Skills
+(50 to 100) Spell Focus
(10 to 40)% Movement Speed
Jitan's Gate Cooldown Reduced by 1 seconds
+35% to Physical/Magic Spell Damage
-15% to Enemy Elemental Resistances
Socketed (4)
the only other decent pair of caster boots in existence.)

Has some Spell Focus. Less than Wakes.

Doesn’t have any Spell Damage, unless you slap it on with your MOs. Can't get any via Jewels.

200 to 400 Life from orange text. At the lowest end, this is more than the highest end 4x Life jewels (literally 50 x 4), and we haven't even gotten into the 1 - 5% Max Life roll yet.

1 - 5% Max Life & Mana. Hard to quantify. %Mana is good for sustain and directly translates to damage for HCP and Mana Sorc. If we use the same factors from the Details and Assumptions section above, the roll variance results in 60 - 400 Life.

+1 sk. Utility depends on build, it’s pretty negligible but it is a bonus.

Flat reduction equivalent to a set of MOs on 1 accessory. Hard to quantify, but it’s there.

Practical points of Vision:
The annoying part about Vision is that the roll variance is massive. You can live with 10% pierce instead of 15%, but 1% Life just hits differently.

You go from 350 Life to 60 Life if 5% vs 1%. The orange text mod gives it much needed consistency, totaling to 260 Life at absolute minimum and 750 Life at approximate maximum. As said, even at its worst, Vision is defensively better than Wakes (which only offer Jewels for defenses).

Rolling more Visions = more Yham. That's a lot of expense every time you want to try and roll the 260 - 750 Life lottery. Yhams are also used in other Runewords and to unlock Samael weaponry, on top of being very rare, hence the cost.

Vision is nice if your build needs “exactly” the amount of stats that Vision gives, but you can’t opt out of any one of them so if you’re overcapped with Vision, that stat does nothing for you. Hope you can adjust that on gear elsewhere.

Slight annoyance, but getting more RW bases (30-40% MS, 1% PR) is annoying after 2.0. But with Yham rarity, this is a non-factor. You’ll get bases in the meantime.

Wakes Direct Stat Comparison:
Has a minimum 1.5x the Spell Focus of Vision. More with socketables.

Can get Pierce like Vision with a couple of Farsights, but you have the option to get other stats if you’re already capped. With Vision, you're stuck with that res and need to adjust elsewhere.

Has more Spell Damage natively than Vision, and can get more with Jewels. If you use PMSD/Fire/Poison, this is nicely relevant. Even if you don't, Jewels give that SD where Vision cannot.

Has up to 4x the MO space as Vision. Therefore, gives flexibility to FHR, Ele Res, MF, SD, and more SF.

Has some Life via jewels. Not as much as Vision even at Vision’s worst.

Practical points of Wakes:
Wakes are cheap, and especially cheap with the setup I described (4 mediocre crafted jewels, we’re trying to keep the AC costs low).

They give more Spell Focus and Spell Damage than Vision does. If your build lacks those things but is abundant in Pierce (or doesn’t need it, as PMSD casters don’t) and isn’t too broken up about +1 Skill, it’s better offensively.

They have flexibility with FHR, Ele Res for lab, and even MF via MOs. They carried before Vision even existed. You could probably use 4x Lotto Storm Shard for Lab in sockets.

They have flexibility with sockets. As mentioned, can use Lotto Storm Shard, Farsight Globes, or just regular rare jewels. You can craft 4% SD and 50 Life if you’re already capped on SF, for example, and drop SF as a necessary mod entirely. Again, we’re ignoring the random resists/% and flat attributes that jewels tend to have.

Hope you guys found this informative and helpful for making decisions about what to put on your feet.
Edited by abwhorent 2 years.
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1459 | 64
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
abwhorent wrote:Runewords do not receive the stats of their socketed runes

Uh, yes, they do, but its already included in the item stats.
abwhorent
Grubber
317 | 46
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Istaryu wrote:
abwhorent wrote:Runewords do not receive the stats of their socketed runes

Uh, yes, they do, but its already included in the item stats.

Edited, thanks.
Bljadzon
Abomination
145 | 6
Common Popularity Badge
Thanks for the effort, good thread.
Scalewinged
Blood Golem
1303 | 62
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
First of all Wakes is just a TU (makable at anytime in matter of 3 min) while Vision is ench runeword using pretty rare Yham ruine and also Ghal. So the only somehow valuable benefit i'm seeing is 15 (if you lucky enough) pierces which can be very annoying to get on TU (craft 4 perf farsights pls?).
abwhorent
Grubber
317 | 46
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Scalewinged wrote:First of all Wakes is just a TU (makable at anytime in matter of 3 min) while Vision is ench runeword using pretty rare Yham ruine and also Ghal. So the only somehow valuable benefit i'm seeing is 15 (if you lucky enough) pierces which can be very annoying to get on TU (craft 4 perf farsights pls?).

I feel like you're missing the point of the analysis. "It's just a TU" is the wrong mindset to adopt towards Wakes when every caster who has played pre-2.0 would know that it was basically Wake or Spirit Walker. In fact, my point about low cost is very relevant here. Very few casters ended up with Spirit Walker because it's stupidly expensive where Wake is inexpensive. What did they wear before Vision? Wakes or Rabbit's Foot. Crafts were simply not an option because craft affixes are bad for casters, meaning that the only real benefit would be from the shrine affixes. There were seasons where you could use lots of UMOs on Honorific boots, but that went on and off as UMOs/honorifics received balance passes (UMOs would cost extra levels on Honos / limit of 5 UMOs). Also during that period, Spell Focus on Armor did not exist, so honorific boots were not an option (they're still a worse option than Wakes right now). So throughout MXL Sigma history, it was mostly Wake or Spirit Walker. Rabbit's Foot gets honorable mention for MF, have seen some Fauzt farmers using it.

Fact of the matter is that Wakes, as per the numbers given in the post, can functionally give 200+ SF and 40+% spell damage of your type (20 from jewels + MOs, if the damage types already on Wakes don't help you but more if they do help). This is not something a double Eerie craft will match, since the affix pool on boots is not supportive to casters. It will also give some life and energy on the side, as well as lots of MO space for flexibility. I think it's important to see that Vision lacks those things: it isn't a no-brainer upgrade to Wakes, it's something to consider for high labs and Sam, where defenses are very important.

Furthermore, you mention pierce in your post. While I do say that you can use 4x Farsight in my post, I don't think that pierce on Vision is its key selling point: its the defenses. When it comes to pierce, was it impossible to cap pierce before Vision's 10-15% pierce mod came onto boots? Was it mandatory to use 4x Farsight in your boot sockets before?

No. People were capping pierce off 2x ring (rares, Witchcraft, etc), amulet (Tesseract, Black Dwarf, Gallowlaugh, rares), weapon/'shield (or staff) - too many to list, and their passives/charms. Belt and gloves can both craft pierce, but you can get options like Dementia as well. Helm also depends on class and build, but Indigo was an offensive/defensive staple. They didn't need pierce on boots, but it helped. Wakes made up for the spell focus and spell damage they could be lacking elsewhere. Wakes really do have high offense, especially with the potential for Lodestone and other MOs compared to every other boot option.
Inno86
Balrog
138 | 11
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
I am not reading the analysis. But I confirm Wake of Destruction is super good. I use it all the times. Cheap and effective. Not the best defensive option maybe, but for damage it's the best option for casters
Also, if you spend some crystals can get max life lottery bonus, a lot of MO space and low strength req. (lodestone). Finally, you can socket perfect gems for resistances, or get the jewel to lower the enemy res and you still have all MO space in the world. Now there are also corrupted crystals (yet to go scosglen this ss sigh!) but unfortunately it's TU so cannot roll again and again for super good corruption bonus..

So overall, before patch I think maybe Wake can be better, now I strongly doubt due to corruption bonus
Anonymous:
Memelistas
2984 | 441
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
void
Shadowgate Totem
1771 | 97
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Thumbs up for interesting item discussion thread, these are awesome!
abwhorent
Grubber
317 | 46
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Inno86 wrote:I am not reading the analysis. But I confirm Wake of Destruction is super good. I use it all the times. Cheap and effective. Not the best defensive option maybe, but for damage it's the best option for casters
Also, if you spend some crystals can get max life lottery bonus, a lot of MO space and low strength req. (lodestone). Finally, you can socket perfect gems for resistances, or get the jewel to lower the enemy res and you still have all MO space in the world. Now there are also corrupted crystals (yet to go scosglen this ss sigh!) but unfortunately it's TU so cannot roll again and again for super good corruption bonus..

So overall, before patch I think maybe Wake can be better, now I strongly doubt due to corruption bonus

Yeah, but the sucky part about RWs is that you can't Corrupt them either since they're not "Magic or higher". That's why I completely ignored Corruption in the OP. So I guess Spirit Walker was the real winner after all.