Make chests worth opening

Discuss Median XL!
Bestendigo
Lava Lord
95 | 21
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
So, before releasing 2.0 version like 6 months ago there was a topic about making chests worth opening. Nowadays you open thousand chests and 99.9% of the time they contain total useless crap. There were many ideas how to make chests worth opening, and one of MXL devs said that it's planned for later 2.X versions. I assume that devs work on 2.2.0 version and sooner or later it will be released. So my question is - there will be rebalanced chest system in 2.2.0? Or you guys plan it for further release patches?
Opgedronken
Monkey King
274 | 8
Chests are ok imo, if you make them too good chest running will become a thing.
They drop decent enough for me to open the ones that are on the route to whatever i'm doing.
Armor and weapon racks are a different story though, seems like they're bugged and often drop low tier items.
Bestendigo
Lava Lord
95 | 21
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Well i meant rebalanced chests system smth like they're relatively rare and appear randomly and are always closed. One key costs 300k gold for example. They have a medium or high chance to drop TU/SU/Set/high level rune/unique mystic orb/Relic etc. They always drop one item. Sometimes it might be only rare or magic, but sometimes strong SU. Ofc it's more RNG (but the entire mod is based on RNG anyway) but it would add a lot of flavour to the game and people would really respect chests, not just clicking them blindly. I mean only chests. Not armor/weapon racks or stones, corpses etc. Just chests that require the key.

It's just an idea, it might be remade completely different depending on developers liking, but i suppose it would be more interesting + gold mechanic would be more important.

And of course Assassin's special ability should be removed, if its even possible. Or give her at least 5% discount for keys :D :lol:
Honkler
Cog
207 | 16
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Not sure if you're referring to the post I made specifically but 100% this would add a great amount of flavor to the grind. Seeing a glowing golden chest should feel exciting, not "should I even bother buying a key?".
Taem
Necrobot
2490 | 157
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Bestendigo wrote:Well i meant rebalanced chests system smth like they're relatively rare and appear randomly and are always closed. One key costs 300k gold for example. They have a medium or high chance to drop TU/SU/Set/high level rune/unique mystic orb/Relic etc. They always drop one item. Sometimes it might be only rare or magic, but sometimes strong SU. Ofc it's more RNG (but the entire mod is based on RNG anyway) but it would add a lot of flavour to the game and people would really respect chests, not just clicking them blindly. I mean only chests. Not armor/weapon racks or stones, corpses etc. Just chests that require the key.

It's just an idea, it might be remade completely different depending on developers liking, but i suppose it would be more interesting + gold mechanic would be more important.

And of course Assassin's special ability should be removed, if its even possible. Or give her at least 5% discount for keys :D :lol:

What, you don't get excited seeing mana potions and gold? Pfff...
Honkler
Cog
207 | 16
Great Popularity Badge
Donated 25 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Bestendigo wrote:Well i meant rebalanced chests system smth like they're relatively rare and appear randomly and are always closed. One key costs 300k gold for example. They have a medium or high chance to drop TU/SU/Set/high level rune/unique mystic orb/Relic etc. They always drop one item. Sometimes it might be only rare or magic, but sometimes strong SU. Ofc it's more RNG (but the entire mod is based on RNG anyway) but it would add a lot of flavour to the game and people would really respect chests, not just clicking them blindly. I mean only chests. Not armor/weapon racks or stones, corpses etc. Just chests that require the key.

Great points all around. Maybe a UMO/GR bias would be in order. Also nothing wrong with a gold sink when damn near every Sacred item sells for max gold.
Bestendigo
Lava Lord
95 | 21
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Honkler wrote:Great points all around. Maybe a UMO/GR bias would be in order. Also nothing wrong with a gold sink when damn near every Sacred item sells for max gold.

Thanks for supporting me in this idea. I'v got high hopes, because one of MXL developers mentioned that they consider adding such feature for some of 2.X updates so i am eager to see how they will implement that and how they want to make chests more valuable. I am curious if they're working on that for upcoming 2.2.0 update.

If anyone has played Grim Dawn or Torchlight 2, he knows how exciting high level chests can be. Why not add some of this stuff to the mod? Also improving gold management and making gold way more important than it is now. Even reaching first uber rift with gold drop bias will be a pleasure instead of ''lets just rush this useless crap area for six angels bag''.

BTW i didn't see your post about valuable chests, sorry. I remembered a brainstorm just weeks before 2.0 release and me and some other people suggested that chests should be way more valuable.
Honkler
Cog
207 | 16
Great Popularity Badge
Donated 25 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Bestendigo wrote:
Honkler wrote:Great points all around. Maybe a UMO/GR bias would be in order. Also nothing wrong with a gold sink when damn near every Sacred item sells for max gold.

Thanks for supporting me in this idea. I'v got high hopes, because one of MXL developers mentioned that they consider adding such feature for some of 2.X updates so i am eager to see how they will implement that and how they want to make chests more valuable. I am curious if they're working on that for upcoming 2.2.0 update.

If anyone has played Grim Dawn or Torchlight 2, he knows how exciting high level chests can be. Why not add some of this stuff to the mod? Also improving gold management and making gold way more important than it is now. Even reaching first uber rift with gold drop bias will be a pleasure instead of ''lets just rush this useless crap area for six angels bag''.

BTW i didn't see your post about valuable chests, sorry. I remembered a brainstorm just weeks before 2.0 release and me and some other people suggested that chests should be way more valuable.

Oh Idc one way or another. I'm just glad other people feel the same way. Grim dawn loot is amazing, couldn't agree more. Another possible consideration would be to add higher item level drops for golden chests in a given area. (i.e. 130+ items in a 125 zone) which would even the playing field for builds that can't efficiently farm 130+ zones.
Bestendigo
Lava Lord
95 | 21
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Honkler wrote:Oh Idc one way or another. I'm just glad other people feel the same way. Grim dawn loot is amazing, couldn't agree more. Another possible consideration would be to add higher item level drops for golden chests in a given area. (i.e. 130+ items in a 125 zone) which would even the playing field for builds that can't efficiently farm 130+ zones.

Yes! I would also like to see it. Just like act boss loot works in vanilla Diablo 2. They can drop items from next act, e.g Mephisto on Hell difficulty can drop items that can be found in act 4 Hell, and this is cool.
Marco
Team Member
1952 | 1347
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Multiplayer Badge
Has won a multiplayer contest
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
This has been in our backlog for some time and I agree it would be a really cool addition as well as making keys meaningful in some way as suggested. Even the recent map reworks bring a lot of chest "spots" promoting exploration, such as Scosglen, however, as we still don't have the "tech" to customize their drops, they aren't very exciting yet. Hopefully soon ;)