The Balance of FireBlood (RANT)

Discuss Median XL!
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Ur_Day wrote:So this is a little rant. - Disclaimer : I play HC exclusively in every game (I accept responsibility for my deaths always have)

Just a little info: Level 108 HC Barb with 8.1K life - 78 All resist - 240K Defense

I literally face tanked the entire game all the way to the River of Flame in Hell. Also completed every Progression ie: Butcher, Island of the Sunless for my level without a struggle. BUT a single monster by the name of FireBlood in the river of flame, who has some cloaking ability to spawn right on top of me rolled a fireball and instantly 1 shot me.

With my entire screen filled with pixels you can't even see these monsters. I'm just so confused - at this balance.

Every Boss in the game never touched me but a normal WHITE monster 1 shot me. Kinda Sad. Anyone had a run in with these guys?

If i'm not mistaken it's called a Devourer and that fireball, yes. It's a near 1 shot mechanic because it's so slow. Like Detonator. But I think they removed Detonator.
Magisch
Dark Huntress
14 | 0
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Firebloods onepump me too through 10% fire absorb, 50% phys res, 400k defense, 40% block, 84% fire res. Apparently they still oneshot.

I actually applaud HC players. The random oneshots don't stop later in the game and you'll get rubberbanded back into mechanics you've already dodged often.
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Magisch wrote:Firebloods onepump me too through 10% fire absorb, 50% phys res, 400k defense, 40% block, 84% fire res. Apparently they still oneshot.

I actually applaud HC players. The random oneshots don't stop later in the game and you'll get rubberbanded back into mechanics you've already dodged often.

I play semi-hardcore. (no potions) lol
blankname
Prowler
16 | 3
FIrebloods are only really an issue the first time you die to them. Once you know to watch out for them you can dodge the fireballs no problem. The same can't be said for your merc unfortunately.
Pub
Core Lord
397 | 42
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
blankname wrote:FIrebloods are only really an issue the first time you die to them. Once you know to watch out for them you can dodge the fireballs no problem. The same can't be said for your merc unfortunately.

That's really the issue with jumping into hardcore as a whole - you learn after you die to something for the first time or sometimes it even takes multiple deaths. There's only a rant about the balance of it only because he had no knowledge of such a thing existing in game.
Marto
Prowler
15 | 1
TheError wrote:
Crash wrote:well.. they're elite mobs, not just regular white ones, as a note there.

They only appear when there are corpses nearby because they eat the corpse and then roll the fire boulder. You can get Slain Monsters RIP so that they dont eat a corpse and will never be able to roll boulders at you.

(the ones at Azmodan are untargetable and always there)

tl;dr its all part of the game. if you're unfamiliar with them and made it that far, I applaud you for going straight to HC and doing well, but it's something you gain knowledge of as you get more experience and begin to watch out for.

Ahhh, I remember that RIP recipe... haven't used that in forever and completely forgot it. Might wanna use it indeed if you don't need corpses for reanimates/totems.

R.I.P. Recipe

If you went wild with reanimate items and now you can't see the forest for the reanimated Ents, this recipe can help. It adds the 'R.I.P.' modifier to an item, causing your kills to stay dead instead of rising up to get in your way. This should help out players with slower computers.

Any item + Oil of Renewal + Arcane Crystal → returns item with R.I.P. modifier

This recipe adds the following bonus:

Slain Monsters Rest in Peace

I guess I'll ask it here since the subject pushed this way.

1. Does RIP work on the little bastards in Teganze?

2. Anyone else think the Arrow Storm from amazons in TA is a bit OP? It is easy to dodge if you can see it, but with all the shit that happens on the screen, this is by far the most annoying IMO. The fireblood is probably a close second for me as well.
BTracer
Banned
99 | 3
Marto wrote:I guess I'll ask it here since the subject pushed this way.

1. Does RIP work on the little bastards in Teganze?

2. Anyone else think the Arrow Storm from amazons in TA is a bit OP? It is easy to dodge if you can see it, but with all the shit that happens on the screen, this is by far the most annoying IMO. The fireblood is probably a close second for me as well.

1. No
2. It's a matter of perspective, previous incarnations were 10x more difficult to see (including invisible bugged streams of arrows), hit way harder and triggered more often. Even then, most people eventually got the hang of it, just take your time.
blankname
Prowler
16 | 3
Pub wrote:That's really the issue with jumping into hardcore as a whole - you learn after you die to something for the first time or sometimes it even takes multiple deaths. There's only a rant about the balance of it only because he had no knowledge of such a thing existing in game.

That's what you sign up for in hardcore. I find the lessons stick with you a bit more when your character doesn't come back.
Dandy
Vampiress
38 | 1
blankname wrote:FIrebloods are only really an issue the first time you die to them. Once you know to watch out for them you can dodge the fireballs no problem. The same can't be said for your merc unfortunately.

That's only true if you play ranged / summoner.

Any melee char will get rekt by these guys at one point, unless they are informed and take extreme precautions.
There is no dodging a pprojectile fired from invisibility at point blank.