clarifying the "50% of your Fire and Poison spell damage added as Defense Bonus"

Discuss Median XL!
tempmail
Cog
204 | 3
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
what does "50% of your Fire and Poison spell damage added as Defense Bonus" on assassin shield mean? If I have, for example 100% to fire spell damage, does that mean I will only get just 50 defense? Does this shield gain the bonus from assassin ways?
mortimer_85
Djinn
522 | 230
Common Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
From what I understand sum up your fsd % and psd % divide it by 2 add this percantage to your Total Charcter Defense, but I might be wrong.
I think it is an item to make sin more tanky
Valinov
Prowler
17 | 0
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
i was curious as well... If it adds to base defense level it is quite strong. If it just adds more % total character defense it is kind of meh.
HechtHeftig
I paid 10$ for this.
2452 | 190
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
I found that shield in single player and couldn‘t test it out yet. PM me if you‘d like to have it and test it out. One condition though: report back into this thread what exactly it does ;)
AzureGladiator
Heretic
430 | 94
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Contest Badge
Has won a forum contest
I was curious about how that worked too... If anyone knows if the ways work with this please report!
mortimer_85
Djinn
522 | 230
Common Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Guide Badge
Valinov wrote:i was curious as well... If it adds to base defense level it is quite strong. If it just adds more % total character defense it is kind of meh.

since sin has no TCD increasing skill it is the other way around. Base defense meh, TCD better
TTraw1
Thunder Beetle
53 | 2
I am more curious why it boosts your defense when with spell damage you go with Tiefling form anyway. The bonus def better be worth losing tiefling form over that..
SirJean
Rust Claw
89 | 0
TTraw1 wrote:I am more curious why it boosts your defense when with spell damage you go with Tiefling form anyway. The bonus def better be worth losing tiefling form over that..

I don't think it is meant for a tiefling build considering that it's a claw sin shield and you can't use spells with it (the shield is melee,summon,buff only).

Zayl's Temptation
Zayl's Temptation
Bladed Shield (Sacred)

Defense: (2035 - 2181) to (2430 - 2604)
Chance to Block: 5%
(Assassin Only)
Required Level: 100
Required Dexterity:
Item Level: 120
Regens 15% Life Over 5 Seconds Upon Taking Weapon Damage
+(4 to 6) to Assassin Skill Levels
1% Base Block Chance
-(11 to 15)% to Enemy Elemental Resistances
Slow Target (15 to 25)%
+(180 to 200)% Enhanced Defense
Maximum Elemental Resists +1%
Maximum Block Chance +10%
Requirements +100%
Socketed (6)
TTraw1
Thunder Beetle
53 | 2
You still want to use tiefling for twinfang for good increase in damage and free dex for max block, so... I am not buying it. Unless def bonus is really that significant.
tempmail
Cog
204 | 3
Common Popularity Badge
So.. I've been testing out the shield and it apparently gives you a percentage to your BASE defense. So for example if your base defense is 3000 and you add 10% to all spell damage ( 10% to poison and 10% to fire ) you get 300 extra defense so you have 3300 defense. Also, as far as I can see, adding TCD% does not help, meaning that if you have 3000 BASE defense then add 10% to all spell damage ( 10% to poison and 10% to fire ) and then add A SHIT TON of TCD%, the shield will still add only 300 extra defense. So basically, to optimize the bonus from this shield you need to get gear with high BASE defense and add Enhanced Defense.

Also, I started struggling a bit with sin at lvl 108. Mainly because of mana issues against bosses. I have 300 mana on attack, 5000% to attack rating, invested all in to dexterity, but basically as soon as I miss a few hits my mana is gone and I loose twin fang strike.
So if anyone has Metalhead SU on single player and could send it to me, I would really appreciate it.