Is melee supposed to be so gimped in this game?

Discuss Median XL!
Celestialray
Gravedigger
192 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
I've been playing ranged characters so far and the game was hard enough. But melee is just on another level. Kabraxis? I can't attack him without dying. What about quov tsin? How am I supposed to kill this guy as a melee character exactly? If I manage to damage them, they heal anyway. Who the fuck thought that was a good idea? At the very least, melee characters could kill those guys in 1000 deaths. With heal it's absolutely impossible without unreasonable gear. I AM genuinely asking. What am I doing wrong?

On top of that, desync is extremely annoying and is severely worse on melee characters. About that, is there anything I can possibly do on my end to partially solve desync?

I'm so mad right now that I've invested so much time in this character (melee holy paladin) just to find out he gets absolutely shitted on by almost all 120 uberquests.

Edit: I really need to emphasize how unfair the heal is. I barely manage to get kabraxis at 80% hp and ONE SINGLE FUCKING MISTAKE (that could be desync) just undoes all my progress. PLEASE TELL ME WHY THE HEAL.
lazyknob
Balrog
126 | 6
I've come to terms that, not all builds are equal and notions of fairness should be left at the door.
Before I started this reply, I saw MorphXL streaming. Decided to have a peep. 38k health... Yeah... not much else needs to be said.
Johnny Impak
Daystar
658 | 23
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
More information needed.

For Quov Tsin get high max resistances and flat damage reduction. Crystalline flame medallion helps a lot here too. At some point he does no damage. When you see a skull over his head, move and dodge bone spears.

Bashing on Kabraxis is a bad idea. Divine judgement will get you killed here. Take retaliate and use skeletons as targets. It is slow, but somehow safe. I did this guy on lvl 130 with mine.

Melee is harder than ranged because well ... melee range. But it is way more satisfying imo. Focus on these:

-High defense
-High block chance if you wear a shield.
-High % Damage reduction.
-Always have resistances maxed. Over 80% all is recommended.
-Get high HP or invest in HP regeneration. Or both !
-Know your enemy. Kabraxis deals mostly uber high poison damage and high magic damage. You cannot tank this.
Edited by Johnny Impak 4 years.
Elendilli
Djinn
549 | 67
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Could you give us some more information so we can help you learn the specific mechanics or strategies to help you succeed? Character? Build? Current Charms?

lazyknob wrote:I've come to terms that, not all builds are equal and notions of fairness should be left at the door.
Before I started this reply, I saw MorphXL streaming. Decided to have a peep. 38k health... Yeah... not much else needs to be said.

He has 38k Health but it doesn't mean he's clearing a lot of the Labs content very well. I watch his stream often and I can tell you T13 and higher is a struggle for anybody so in that aspect Unholy Melee which is very strong this patch cannot achieve optimal damage to clear the Lab bosses (Phob, Anom) even on T11, but it can function as a tanky frontliner for the Traprat he's duoing with. We also did have a player who has technically 'cleared' labs as a Melee Assassin but he didn't even struggle to the Lab itself but instead a stupid bug that exists in T13-T15 where Observers can ohko with Frozen Orb.
Edited by Elendilli 4 years.
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1445 | 61
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
If you are just trying to mindlessly hack your way trought everything, ignoring mechanics, it will not work, obviously.

QT is a gear check, stack 150+ flat physical damage reduction (which you already have from blessed life), and 85%+ resists, and charm from judgement day for the absorb, and the boss will not do any damage to you. Use items like wheel of fortune( tu large shield), wichhunters hood (or topspin, tu skull cap), and perfect gems if needed to have more max resists.

And for Kabraxis, there is a 1-2 second window to smack his face when he teleports on you, before the green fire thingy starts doing damage, that is your window of opportunity if you are melee.

Both those bosses are doable with shitty crafted and tu gear, which is what i mostly have by the time i reach lvl120.
Edited by Istaryu 4 years.
Johnny Impak
Daystar
658 | 23
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Istaryu wrote:And for Kabraxis, there is a 1-2 second window to smack his face when he teleports on you, before the green fire thingy starts doing damage, that is your window of opportunity if you are melee.

Did not know that. Thanks.
Glamdring26
Core Lord
352 | 33
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
https://youtu.be/IszPuBMEyYA

Here is my kab run. Its super easy as holy melee paladin.

For QT, you need flat dr and max res, nothing else. Just p gem all of your gear and mo your jewellery with flat dr. That should be enough.

And for the future, ask for some tips before opening a rant thread.
lazyknob
Balrog
126 | 6
Khamul wrote:Could you give us some more information so we can help you learn the specific mechanics or strategies to help you succeed? Character? Build? Current Charms?

lazyknob wrote:I've come to terms that, not all builds are equal and notions of fairness should be left at the door.

He has 38k Health but it doesn't mean he's clearing a lot of the Labs content very well. I watch his stream often and I can tell you T13 and higher is a struggle for anybody so in that aspect Unholy Melee which is very strong this patch cannot achieve optimal damage to clear the Lab bosses (Phob, Anom) even on T11, but it can function as a tanky frontliner for the Traprat he's duoing with. We also did have a player who has technically 'cleared' labs as a Melee Assassin but he didn't even struggle to the Lab itself but instead a stupid bug that exists in T13-T15 where Observers can ohko with Frozen Orb.

Well I do gather that in general higher labs do lean towards ranged builds especially in solo play.
Though admittedly I spend most of my time farming as I play SSF on MP. Probably an exercise in futility lol.

Some builds are vastly superior to others with a lot less investment. For example, OP is having some trouble with Holy melee. Even clearing hell in TUs can proof a little troublesome for that build but comparatively, a 2H melee necro breezes through quite easily with just TUs. Not harping on end game potential but transitions on some builds are quite hectic.

FOTM builds are the result of a symptom.

I do enjoy it when players put up showcase videos and especially grateful when they include their gear and levels. It does enlighten and shape my perception regarding builds and viability. When people post their Kabraxis kills without posting their gear (but fully decked out in gear and level 140), it's not very helpful if the person having trouble just hit 120.

On a sidenote, is Nagi Sin a dead build? Decided try one out, but yet to figure out a decent build for it once I level it up. The damage on bosses seem to be pretty lackluster? I'm still skeptical about its viability.
Celestialray
Gravedigger
192 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Johnny Impak wrote:More information needed.

For Quov Tsin get high max resistances and flat damage reduction. Crystalline flame medallion helps a lot here too. At some point he does no damage. When you see a skull over his head, move and dodge bone spears.

Bashing on Kabraxis is a bad idea. Divine judgement will get you killed here. Take retaliate and use skeletons as targets. It is slow, but somehow safe. I did this guy on lvl 130 with mine.

This is good advice, though it takes forever to kill kabraxis this way. I barely damage him. I'm mostly tu gear and a good crafted weapon. I need to get better gear to even consider killing this guy. As for qt, I still need more max res. I have the medallion as well.

Istaryu wrote:If you are just trying to mindlessly hack your way trought everything, ignoring mechanics, it will not work, obviously.

And for Kabraxis, there is a 1-2 second window to smack his face when he teleports on you, before the green fire thingy starts doing damage, that is your window of opportunity if you are melee.

Both those bosses are doable with shitty crafted and tu gear, which is what i mostly have by the time i reach lvl120.

I obviously try to respect mechanics. What do you think, I went head on into kabraxis, died couple of times and decided to post this? xd

I tried kabraxis for like half an hour and the best I managed to do was 80% hp before he killed me and fully healed. I need better gear, that's one thing. It just seems unfair he also has a spell that's exclusively against melee targets (whirly poison thing), like it wasn't hard enough for melee characters... I also didn't know about the teleport window, gonna try that. Possibly later after I get better gear.

Edit: I have no problems with melee holy paladin. I think it is very fun and engaging, which is why I was so disappointed to hit this kabraxis wall. It's nowhere near as powerful as bowzon at clearing, but I find it very enjoyable. Kabraxis was pretty much a slap in the face, considering I usually get all my 120 charms right when I get to that level, which is why I felt like a total noob. I'll probably just need to come to terms that not every class can do all charms straight away and just invest a bit more in gear. Also, I'm not really interested in 'lab content' (whatever that means, never got there), so I can't say I derive frustration from not playing the best build.

All I'm saying is that certain bosses could use some tweaking to allow melee characters to be a little more competitive at the respective level.
Glamdring26
Core Lord
352 | 33
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Kab's swirly thing is pretty much same for every char since he pounces on you. Watch the video i send, even though i have end game gear you should get an idea about what you should do. Also you shouldnt have tu gear at level 120. Get cinadide set its really good, or craft some creepy gear. even high end runewords are better than tu gear(Erewan for example).

On the other hand uldyssian is literally impossible as holy melee and its piss easy as a ranged/caster char so there is that.