Survivability like in Diablo 3?

Discuss Median XL!
syruplord
Imp
4 | 0
I still feel like a noob when it comes to mystic orbs and crafting/staying geared up as I am leveling. I just can't figure out what stat or item I need in order to have HP sustain.

HP after kills? HP regen? Enhanced Vitality%? What are the stat combinations that let you tank hits and regain lost health without chugging potions? Or is the potion-guzzling method (like vanilla D2 always has been) the only way to go?

I'm an elemental Paladin and find that I can't tank more than 3-4 hits... so I do play defensively but it'd be awesome to start boosting my survivability.

tl;dr: In diablo 3 there's a lot of mechanics on boosting reliable HP regeneration. Is there a mechanic like that in Median XL that I should spend my gold/resources on to be tankier?

*edit* Just invested in a bunch of Replenish Life mystic orbs to all my armor...it kind of works! I think I need to max it though. Has anyone else attempted something like this? Would it just be better to add more max HP and rely on potions instead??
Tadace
Sasquatch
63 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Max hp and potions. The game is difficult throughout. You'll be constantly doing content that feels like you're pushing GRs and you will die if you're careless.
Zennith
Grubber
310 | 30
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
syruplord wrote:I still feel like a noob when it comes to mystic orbs and crafting/staying geared up as I am leveling. I just can't figure out what stat or item I need in order to have HP sustain.

HP after kills? HP regen? Enhanced Vitality%? What are the stat combinations that let you tank hits and regain lost health without chugging potions? Or is the potion-guzzling method (like vanilla D2 always has been) the only way to go?

I'm an elemental Paladin and find that I can't tank more than 3-4 hits... so I do play defensively but it'd be awesome to start boosting my survivability.

tl;dr: In diablo 3 there's a lot of mechanics on boosting reliable HP regeneration. Is there a mechanic like that in Median XL that I should spend my gold/resources on to be tankier?

*edit* Just invested in a bunch of Replenish Life mystic orbs to all my armor...it kind of works! I think I need to max it though. Has anyone else attempted something like this? Would it just be better to add more max HP and rely on potions instead??

Damage reduction% and Flat Damage reduction goes a long way. As a pally, your Black Road Challenge skill is SUPER helpful as it gives alot of both. There are MO's for flat damage reduction, if you put some of those on (150+) you'll notice you survive alot more. On top of that, get some life on striking if you're melee, or life after kill if you're a caster. Don't bother with life leech. Life replenish is usually wasteful. Enough of it helps, but it takes ALOT of space to have enough for it to make much a difference. Too costly when other things can take care of it at a cheaper price. Don't forget, as a Pally you have a blue skill in your skill set called vindicate. This curses enemies and when you kill cursed enemies you get a LOT of hp regen. Hope this helps.
syruplord
Imp
4 | 0
Zennith wrote:Damage reduction% and Flat Damage reduction goes a long way. As a pally, your Black Road Challenge skill is SUPER helpful as it gives alot of both. There are MO's for flat damage reduction, if you put some of those on (150+) you'll notice you survive alot more. On top of that, get some life on striking if you're melee, or life after kill if you're a caster. Don't bother with life leech. Life replenish is usually wasteful. Enough of it helps, but it takes ALOT of space to have enough for it to make much a difference. Too costly when other things can take care of it at a cheaper price. Don't forget, as a Pally you have a blue skill in your skill set called vindicate. This curses enemies and when you kill cursed enemies you get a LOT of hp regen. Hope this helps.

Nice tips. I will give it a try.

In my mind I want to imagine building a character that has Regen HP fast enough to tank monsters. Seems like that might be unattainable/prohibitively expensive?

I will give a try to damage reduce + max HP instead. I guess this is Diablo 2, so you gotta chug potions non stop!!!