good time to swap sin builds? melee > malestrom

Discuss Median XL!
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Just as the topic suggests. I'm curious what a good point in time is for swapping to a malestrom build to farm stuffs with. I've heard it's not a good leveling/early build but not sure when a good point to transition is. I'd like to atm but would rather get a little feedback on viability/strength at the end of early game, as reskills are limited without bella's.

atm i'm 107, i can kill most trash area's pretty easily as it stands, but struggle a bit on ubers for lack of tankyness. While I do think i can hit those stats with a little investment and nothing overly extreme, it feels better to commit resources to a farming build like throw. I haven't built one yet so i'm not sure what a gear threshold would be for more basic content.

for some context, I'm dual claw w/ artifice mastery, max resists, about 5.3k hp, and 35% phys resist currently. I have some base items that i could use to make a throw build with about as much as it would take to make a current melee stronger.

I have 3 abandoned shrines to work with for making some throw gear (sacred honorifics w/ bless), and could make a void in sacred balanced knife atm. (no charms yet, and haven't headed into the a2 ubers area yet).
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1445 | 60
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
cyborgtemplar wrote:I've heard it's not a good leveling/early build

You heard wrong.
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Istaryu wrote:
cyborgtemplar wrote:I've heard it's not a good leveling/early build

You heard wrong.

hmm, any gear suggestions? or just follow the guide already up. . . . sometimes those can get outdated a few patches later.

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44696
kolyeah8
Azure Drake
173 | 5
you can follow the guide.

You just need Void runeword (Lo) in a throwing knife or it wont work

You can decide if you want to use "the ways" (the passive skills that give you elemental dmg) or triefling form, which adds dex and stamina but reduces your armor to 0.
last season triefling form was the way to go, but im trying out the ways thing now.
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1445 | 60
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
kolyeah8 wrote:you can follow the guide.

You can decide if you want to use "the ways" (the passive skills that give you elemental dmg) or triefling form, which adds dex and stamina but reduces your armor to 0.
last season triefling form was the way to go, but im trying out the ways thing now.

No, ways are not the way to go. Their dmg is insignificant and you have no pierce for them. No, 30 pierce or whatever you get from maxing the skill is not enough to do any decent damage.
kolyeah8
Azure Drake
173 | 5
Istaryu wrote:

No, ways are not the way to go. Their dmg is insignificant and you have no pierce for them. No, 30 pierce or whatever you get from maxing the skill is not enough to do any decent damage.

how much dex does triefling form give when maxed?

i think its too early to discard ways, feeling much better than last season until now.
Gorghor
Bone Archer
77 | 4
It's tiefling form...
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1445 | 60
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
kolyeah8 wrote:
Istaryu wrote:

how much dex does triefling form give when maxed?

i think its too early to discard ways, feeling much better than last season until now.

Okay, let me make this clear. I have 31k-33k damage with tiefling (it gives me 1.3k dex), and 31-35k damage with wotp and wotg maxed. Sure, it looks like more damage, but is it actually more damage? Let me tell you, it is not. Elemental damage is balanced around enemies having -100 resists. With ways, i have ~45 pierce, which makes bosses have 25 resist. This means that your ways do 0.75/2=0.375, so 37.5% of their damage compared to what they are balanced around. Not to mention that doom also boosts the magic damage you get from tiefling's dex to magic conversion.
kolyeah8
Azure Drake
173 | 5
i mean, you obviously do use slightly different items when using ways.
and youre not accounting for defense.

but its ok dude, youre obvously the most experienced player here who knows everything.

let me just try to make it work ok?

Gorghor wrote:It's tiefling form...

can an american eloaborate on what the word means?
or is a tiefling a fantasy thing?

edit ok its from the D&D universe :o
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1445 | 60
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
kolyeah8 wrote:i mean, you obviously do use slightly different items when using ways.
and youre not accounting for defense.

And why would you do that? You can't stack dex, fire pierce and lightning pierce all at the same time. And defense is nothing. I have 15k with my items equipped, which might as well be 0.