My experience with median XL this morning! Plus a question for the community.

Discuss Median XL!

Have you ever used the multilogging system to exchange waypoints between characters?

Yes
13%
No
87%

Total votes: 31

Jinfinite
Skeleton
2 | 0
Hello, I'm not claiming to be anyone at all, just a person with experience and the ability to put it into words. I really have enjoyed the server and time and effort put into it. When I woke up this morning, one of my friends I play with daily was very frustrated. He was temp-banned for exchanging waypoints to his characters for 24 hours. I do not know the full story, but seeing the result I was not happy at all. The main part I want to focus on is the reactions and the ability to understand another person's point of view. Not to just bring awareness to this situation but to others in the future.

When I first arrived at the discord server after speaking with my friend and wondering what was going on. I was hit with a wave of insults and pictures of what my friend was saying. This type of behavior was disgusting especially coming from the moderation team. It instantly triggered me into saying things into the chat as to defend my friend. I soon began to understand that there was no way for them to understand my point of view at all. They just held onto the idea that I would "snap" and the would be able to ban me and go on with taking screenshots to share with themselves for years to come.

I did say some things that were out there, but only in order to understand where they were coming from. I was playing the fool in this situation. What really bugs me is, they get excitement and joy out of someone else's misery. Especially when this stuff looks like it happens weekly and daily. I can see why it has become such a "meme".

All I would want out of this situation is maybe a non-toxic way of dealing with the auto-banning of people? What I mean by this, obviously someone will be upset or will react to this situation. The obvious thing I think this server and its moderation community is missing is the fact that they can de-escalate and remove the situation. Doing so will only help with the growth of the serer and overall health of the community.

Another thing I would like to add is, a few years ago this server would ban for the use of maphack. Now, when I come back years later the server has a built-in one. Maybe the rules with multilogging can be revised in the future? As the first rule is "Be smart. Be friendly." but I think some people may be lacking the ability to even read it.

To those who know what happened, please do not point to the past. That will only ruin the present moment and we're trying to discuss a better future for the community. As from where it stands I can use the search feature and see the presence of this type of behavior all over. It's obvious and we're all a product of our environment.

Also, if this post is deleted I will repost is daily and enforce even more data and information to support my case.
ParticuLarry
Ice Clan
558 | 60
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
The way I see it, it's their server so they can do whatever they want and as such enforce the rules they want. And reposting this post daily basically just tells everyone: "Heed my will or I'll spam."

That being said, your friend could easily have asked for waypoints in the chat. I'm sure there are friendly people out there who'd give some waypoints away without payment.

As for the maphack: A specific maphack was allowed. This one only revealed the map and nothing more. But other maphacks that ran in the background and pointed arrows as to which direction to go or showing monsters on the minimap and such were not allowed due to giving an unfair advantage other people didn't have access to. And I think those mh's are still not allowed.
Yeahsper
Cog
224 | 14
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
:pop:
Marco
Team Member
1952 | 1347
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Multiplayer Badge
Has won a multiplayer contest
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Jinfinite wrote:The main part I want to focus on is the reactions and the ability to understand another person's point of view.
(...)
When I first arrived at the discord server after speaking with my friend and wondering what was going on. I was hit with a wave of insults and pictures of what my friend was saying. This type of behavior was disgusting especially coming from the moderation team. It instantly triggered me into saying things into the chat as to defend my friend.

You forget to mention the part where you and your friend threatened to DDoS which for some reason was ommited in your story. Yes, everyone is going to make fun of a childish threat because someone couldn't accept he was at fault and was acting like an idiot. Color me surprised.

---

As far as the muling policy goes: most servers do not even allow multilog. Among other things (resource usage) - this makes certain exploits easier to execute, including some dupe methods. We run the risk because relying on permed games to mule is lame. But multilogging is a feature that will be discontinued rather than promoted, assuming we ever get a better muling method.
Glamdring26
Core Lord
352 | 33
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
"To those who know what happened, please do not point to the past. That will only ruin the present moment and we're trying to discuss a better future for the community. As from where it stands I can use the search feature and see the presence of this type of behavior all over. It's obvious and we're all a product of our environment."

How can you make a thread about something that happened and say "dont talk about that thing".

So here is the story:

Your friend's conversation with me. Clearly he was upset, and although i was trying to be professional, he wasnt getting any of it. When this happens, a.k.a when someone is clearly at fault and blames others and acts as a crybaby in mod's dm's, it becomes a meme. You getting triggered over that and insulting me does not really help your case, i wasn't there but my friends in discord said you made some "interesting" comments about me. So you werent really triyng to "understand where they were coming from", you were just insulting people left and right.

The realm rules states that "Multilogging is ONLY allowed for muling", which forbids "giving waypoints". I was mistaken that the bans are auto, they were manually given by one of the team members. It even gives a warning in game when you break this rule, which he ignored. He broke the rules, he got punished. Him not reading the rules is not our fault. However, its just 8-24 hour temporary ban, but he said he and his friends will never return because of his "principles". Which then i responded in a non-professional manner, which im regretful of. I am sorry that i said "frankly we dont really care goodbye", but i am not sorry you getting banned from median discord because of your insults.

The devs said they will implement shared stash in future, which might remove te concept of "muling", which might turn multilogging into complete ban with no exceptions. So i don't think they will allow multilogging in near future.
Cheno
Heretic
434 | 23
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
I think you're gonna have a really hard time getting any kind of sympathy, while at the same time threatening with DDOS.
kg2cage
Cultist
22 | 3
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
You have to have been doing it a lot and seen multiple warnings before a ban happens. Ive gotten the warning so many times by doing a respec, or putting in stat points and forgetting i was multilogging. I always see the warning and then I close one of them games and I''m good to go. I have seen multiple warnings in one game and nothing has happened. The rules are all listed and you even have to cllick agree when you create an account. If he stopped doing what he was doing for the first warning he would be fine.
Conquest
Azure Drake
169 | 9
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
This game is ancient in terms of stashing, unfortunately they could not implement PlugY-like shared stash onto the realm play.

If they could, they would. Heck they could even make money on this, you get 10 pages baseline and can purchase additional increments of 10 with TG. Similar like POE sells shared stash tabs for rather high prices.
Jinfinite
Skeleton
2 | 0
Marco wrote:
Jinfinite wrote:You forget to mention the part where you and your friend threatened to DDoS which for some reason was ommited in your story. Yes, everyone is going to make fun of a childish threat because someone couldn't accept he was at fault and was acting like an idiot. Color me surprised.

---

As far as the muling policy goes: most servers do not even allow multilog. Among other things (resource usage) - this makes certain exploits easier to execute, including some dupe methods. We run the risk because relying on permed games to mule is lame. But multilogging is a feature that will be discontinued rather than promoted, assuming we ever get a better muling method.

I did say some things that were out there, but only in order to understand where they were coming from. I was playing the fool in this situation.

I did say what I said, I am able to take full responsibility for it. If you look above this post you will see your moderation team acting like a child. You yourself take full responsibility for what you put into your server. As you can see with replies such as "frankly we dont really care goodbye" and "LULW good one" which is pointing he doesn't care about the community or himself. It clearly shows the character you want to represent yourself.

I also completely understand the policy and will follow it. The main problem here is the person that was dealing with the problem, to begin with. He reflected how he felt on one of my GREAT friends and it shows. My friend acted out of character and it is obvious to who is at fault. We can blame he didn't follow the rules, but we can also blame the poor moderation of the scenario.

Bottom line is, the moderator should have known when to disengage. Instead, he chose to show off his pride possession of making someone mad to an entire group of people. I honestly could care less of what anything thinks of what I do or say. It doesn't bother me, so I decided to intervene. He also chose to add me on discord after I was banned on the server to maybe inflate the problem more.

I love this place and I've had a lot of fun playing. But, this right here hurts my heart. I've supported this mod for a very long time and have spoken about it many times. I would not like to see this happening in the future if possible and if I can bring light to anything I will. This is a great community and this will only strengthen and help it grow. I'm not sure if I will be back or not, but I am supporting both sides here. I don't want anything to happen to the server, I am just the middle man seeing both sides. As, I said from my research in the server and posts this is a common issue.
Yeahsper
Cog
224 | 14
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
It clearly shows the character you want to represent yourself.

So you are friends with people, let me rephrase it, GREAT friend, who threaten with something illegal and where most country in the world is punishable with jail time? Shows the character of you and how you want to represent yourself.