whats the best way to leech life in destruction?

Discuss Median XL!
immortalsoul
Prowler
19 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
SingleInfinity wrote:
tchahin wrote:
SingleInfinity wrote:
tchahin wrote:Unfortunately, if you are like me, who likes to melee without any minions/summons/reanimates/hirelings/converts the game is broken.

It's not possible to sustain your character in high end game.

You can only play end game if you fill your screen with reanimates, summons, hireling and use very high damage to kill the monsters before they kill you.
Tanking does not exist in destruction.

You have to be a character that burps arrows, farts grenades and lasers out of your A** - which makes all end game characters look like clowns with 0 cohesion or theme - but viable.

Take the holy paladin for example : you have magic damage, fire damage, cold damage, poison, physical and can still shapeshift and summon!

You literally copy-pasted this from another thread where you commented the same thing. This is just plain not true. Example is lazydin, which is still basically viable, and doesn't require summons or any of that shit.

Ye, sure. Show me any ubers on destruction with lazydin.

I did the vast majority of ubers on Lazydin in XVc. It's a lot easier than the spammier builds even, like Bowazon or Traprat. You've got very little experience playing it seems, so I'll chalk it up to that, but you really shouldn't go around making claims like the game is balanced so that only spammy builds succeed when it's obviously not true.

i started playing in 2017 edition but one thing I know, a lot changed in this new update, so things that was strong in the past, isn't now, you can see for example some builds on youtube, people with 20k dmg, now they suffer to get like 4k
SingleInfinity
Stygian Watcher
44 | 8
To stay on topic: The best way to leech life is generally not to. You need to get tankier (At least 200k def, 10k life) and to use pots more effectively. You can kite most shit in D2, since most everything is missles. Get %DR, health, and defense. It's quite easy to hit high numbers in MXL. Most of all, get more used to playing. Thing's aren't imbalanced at all. In fact, by definition they are balanced exactly as they're supposed to be, since they haven't been changed effectively for a long time (which strongly implies that the people in charge of Balance, like SB, think they're balanced). Experience is everything in Median. learning how to play around things not being a pushover is new to most people in the ARPG genre, where you usually just one-shot everything and everything does very little to you.

Also, in regards to people doing 20k before and 4k now, There was a number squish. Monster health got lowered, and so did damage. This effectively means that you don't do any less damage than you used to in terms of % of a monsters health per hit. It just means numbers are less likely to hit their maxes and cause overflows, which used to be an issue.

For the dude commenting about lazydin: maybe play a bit more and try more than a couple builds before trying to make overarching statements that're plain wrong. It's not the place of someone with little experience to be advising others at or around their same level. The lazydin in XVc could do basically every uber given he got the gear he needed. This patch nerfed his damage a bit, but he can still likely do most of the ubers, minus the hardest ones. Along with that, trophies are not an indicator of a build being strong. Getting the charm is the indicator you can beat the uber. Getting the trophy is the indicator that you have the free time to farm it 50-100 times.
tchahin
Prowler
16 | 0
SingleInfinity wrote:To stay on topic: The best way to leech life is generally not to. You need to get tankier (At least 200k def, 10k life) and to use pots more effectively. You can kite most shit in D2, since most everything is missles. Get %DR, health, and defense. It's quite easy to hit high numbers in MXL. Most of all, get more used to playing. Thing's aren't imbalanced at all. In fact, by definition they are balanced exactly as they're supposed to be, since they haven't been changed effectively for a long time (which strongly implies that the people in charge of Balance, like SB, think they're balanced). Experience is everything in Median. learning how to play around things not being a pushover is new to most people in the ARPG genre, where you usually just one-shot everything and everything does very little to you.

Also, in regards to people doing 20k before and 4k now, There was a number squish. Monster health got lowered, and so did damage. This effectively means that you don't do any less damage than you used to in terms of % of a monsters health per hit. It just means numbers are less likely to hit their maxes and cause overflows, which used to be an issue.

For the dude commenting about lazydin: maybe play a bit more and try more than a couple builds before trying to make overarching statements that're plain wrong. It's not the place of someone with little experience to be advising others at or around their same level. The lazydin in XVc could do basically every uber given he got the gear he needed. This patch nerfed his damage a bit, but he can still likely do most of the ubers, minus the hardest ones. Along with that, trophies are not an indicator of a build being strong. Getting the charm is the indicator you can beat the uber. Getting the trophy is the indicator that you have the free time to farm it 50-100 times.

All hear the voice of mr. experienced!
evil_potato
Mangler
458 | 51
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
SingleInfinity wrote:

For this reason, imo %ll is no longer worth pursuing. If an experienced player with a wdm build this season wants to disagree, i'm all ears, but I think life after kill is the best route to pursue. If you're melee then life on attack is worth it as well, especially in low monster density areas. For both melee and ranged, regen is also something to consider. There is a "replenish life" mystic orb that gives 40 rep life per orb. on a piece of crafted gear 5x rep life mo = 400 rep life! that's 40 life per second! Not insignificant. Even on a non-crafted piece of gear you can get 20 life per second. There are skills available to some classes or as procs that further increase life regen. regen + lak is a very strong combo imo for any class or build and should be pursued as the main source of sustain now.
immortalsoul
Prowler
19 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
evil_potato wrote:
SingleInfinity wrote:

For this reason, imo %ll is no longer worth pursuing. If an experienced player with a wdm build this season wants to disagree, i'm all ears, but I think life after kill is the best route to pursue. If you're melee then life on attack is worth it as well, especially in low monster density areas. For both melee and ranged, regen is also something to consider. There is a "replenish life" mystic orb that gives 40 rep life per orb. on a piece of crafted gear 5x rep life mo = 400 rep life! that's 40 life per second! Not insignificant. Even on a non-crafted piece of gear you can get 20 life per second. There are skills available to some classes or as procs that further increase life regen. regen + lak is a very strong combo imo for any class or build and should be pursued as the main source of sustain now.

40 life per second, sry dude but thats nothing, enemies hit me like 2.5k in a single atk, that's 40 hp recovery will not help... also life on attack isn't working in destruction as I tested, got like 320 life on attack, it doesn't recover that amount, not even close and life on kill also can be good in earlier game, norma ldifficulty and all but thats all too
tchahin
Prowler
16 | 0
@to immortal soul
LL, LoH, are not as effective for a bowazon. As evil potato wrote, Lak is the best (but as you see not as good when youre hit for over 2k).
Though, you should focus on having 'on kill' procs to kill 1 monster and trigger the carnival of death, while having all your reanimates and summons up.

To singleinfinity who thinks he is so experienced, lol I probably play median before that dude was even born.
Median in the past you had to rely on 'on kill' procs to be viable altogether with reanimates. This was most obvious with bowazon and bow druids who cleared the content with ease but did not have the mobility of assassins who could blink(teleport). To be able to prepare your traps and draw aggro carefully was always an advantage, specially for the hardest ubers.
Going back to taking damage, some classes rely on %avoid mechanics coupled with mobility while others rely on ultra high health (so potions regen more hp) and others on hundreds of defense.
On previous median, my Pally could reach 1 million defense easily and still had his azz handed, even with %DR, maxed resists, life when hit(when struck) orbs, life on hit, life regen and all that.
Lazydin damage has always been gimp because magic/physical and poison has always been the most resisted - and were meant to kill trash mobs.
As a Lazydin and nearly any other character Ureh has always been my wall and I dont think anyone could do it with a lazydin.
Solfege
Harpylisk
1461 | 209
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
immortalsoul wrote:So i'm getting a lot of trouble trying to leech life in destruction, I have to use potions all the time, but specially in harder areas, they finish very quickly..
so i started to do some tests... and honestly, neither life on kill, life on attack and/or %life leech are working for me... got like 320 life on atk, recovering nothing, tryed life on kill also, nothing changes... got 30% life leech, recover like 0,5% of my life and I take 25% of my life from the damages, so eh.. not saving much.

What do u guys suggest??

immortalsoul wrote:I still managed to get into act 5 in destruction, but for example.. im trying to do the black road challenge, I need to collect now 5 brains in some crazy shit area in terror, but it's crazy there, I need to attack like 20 times to kill some enemies there and they attack me 5 times and I'm dead... It's not even low hp problem, I got 8500 hp, the problem is there is so unbalanced things right now

LoA doesn't do jack for Bowazons because it requires a melee hit to trigger. I'm also gonna agree with evil_potato that LaeK is still probably your best bet, but only if you can kill stuff. Otherwise, you're stuck with getting tons of LL or the rare LoS mod. As to Fauzt specifically, being a Bowazon, you have 0 defense with Ecstatic Frenzy, so you need to be able to kite, dodge, and kill stuff fast. Lots of %DR also helps.
SingleInfinity
Stygian Watcher
44 | 8
tchahin wrote:Going back to taking damage, some classes rely on %avoid mechanics coupled with mobility while others rely on ultra high health (so potions regen more hp) and others on hundreds of defense.
On previous median, my Pally could reach 1 million defense easily and still had his azz handed, even with %DR, maxed resists, life when hit(when struck) orbs, life on hit, life regen and all that.

This is what shows your lack of experience. The reason defense and %DR doesn't matter in most cases is because most damage comes from enemy skills. If it doesn't do WDM, it doesn't do a def check, and most skills on enemies don't do WDM. The only reliable way to mitigate a lot of the damage in median is to space yourself out with a good amount of Def, %DR, and max resists. If you don't have all three, of course you can't tank. You need 85 max res just to be able to do UL without getting stunlocked to death if you don't have mass summons.

A major thing an experienced player will tell you is this: Don't get hit. It's not always about tanking. Sometimes you need to actually avoid shit, which takes significantly more skill. Sorry if you wanna be able to facetank everything, but that's never been how median was, nor how it will be by the looks of things.
evil_potato
Mangler
458 | 51
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
immortalsoul wrote:
40 life per second, sry dude but thats nothing, enemies hit me like 2.5k in a single atk, that's 40 hp recovery will not help... also life on attack isn't working in destruction as I tested, got like 320 life on attack, it doesn't recover that amount, not even close and life on kill also can be good in earlier game, norma ldifficulty and all but thats all too

the 40 life per second mentioned is what you can achieve on a single piece of armor. you can put that on 5 (6, if you have a shield) pieces of armor for a total a 400-440 free life regen per second. half that at worst if not using crafts. Add 300 LaK to that and, assuming you're not just standing there taking hits not attacking, you should be fine.