bradsmithsite
Banned
143 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Istaryu wrote:
bradsmithsite wrote:
Taem wrote:
bradsmithsite wrote:(Sigh) I wish I was part of the development team to see the actual code and resolve this properly. I believe there are benefits to having more than 100% resistance, but I'd like to know exactly what's going on.

What are you talking about? This is from the vanilla game. You want a job at Blizzard or something?

The one guide recommends that you have 380% fire resistance before facing the boss of Duncraig, but where does the person get that number?

Vanilla diablo you got your max resist, and that's it, anymore is worthless, but apparently not with Median?

What about conviction aura and lower resist? :coolstorybob:

Haven't come across anything that has the conviction aura that I can remember, and lower resistance (old Diablo) is max 62% at level 20. Just wish someone could explain how the maximum resistance works, because I'm using extra slots with Lai runes when I could be using other things.

Lower Resist (D2 LoD):
31 37 41 44 47 49 51 52 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 61 61 62 62
bradsmithsite
Banned
143 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Taem wrote:
bradsmithsite wrote:(Sigh) I wish I was part of the development team to see the actual code and resolve this properly. I believe there are benefits to having more than 100% resistance, but I'd like to know exactly what's going on.

What are you talking about? This is from the vanilla game. You want a job at Blizzard or something?

Blizzard lost their soul when the announced Diablo: Immortal, in the vanilla game, I knew that extra maximum resist was a waste, but no clue with Median. I LOVE MEDIAN XL, just need to understand it's dynamics completely and maximum resistance is a big grey area.
Lynderika
Grubber
316 | 161
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Stone of resurrection doesn't make sense, not to mention the game already is EXTREMELY gentle to transfer a hc char to softcore instead of killing it.
Magic resist is created to be hard to get, and all magic damage designed so that if they are too dangerous to you, you need more life (typical exemple is Atanna Khan boss)

Ok so seeing how you're struggeling with resistence it's clear you never played d2 seriously, but there always were nightmare and hell penalty for res. In vanilla it's -40/-100%, in median since 1.5 it's 30/70% (read : Percentage points). So since your res are passively reduced by a number of percentage points, you need to compensate with that much. So someone with none +max resistance have a cap at 75, and so will need 145. That's... it. You can interpret it as "all hell enemy have 70 pierce" too

Most enemy doesn't have more pierce, Assur and labs are the very few exemples, and the only really noticables ones. t14+ lab pierce by 100%, and Assur I don't know for sure but it's at least 100, just put the as much perf bloodstone as you can and he doesn't do damage anymore if that's the problem. There's a few curses reducing res too...
But unless in hc or for t14+ lab you shouldn't really care, really. It's very easy to overcap a little too, by like 30% and you're safe for life.

Also WTF are you talking about on updating d2stats when the in game interface litteraly show your res??? (--> mostly why I don't understand your problem)

As Istaryu said there always were pierce in vanilla with curses and aura ; conviction and lower resist for elemenal, amplify damage and decrepify for physical, and there were cases of bosses randomely having conviction (also uber mephisto I guess).

"
bradsmithsite wrote:For the love of god dude, post on the feedback thread. You don't need to create a new thread for every idea you have.

If you have 380% fire resistance, Diaco, do you know how much the effective fire resistance is. If you have 100% fire resistance, you should be immune to fire, but it doesn't work like that. For the updated D3Stats, would be nice to display that you have 82% effective fire resistance instead of display 380% resistance.

Ok do you understand the concept of cap? Your effective res can't go higher than 75%, + your "maximum elemental resistence" stat number, up to 90. Getting 10000% doesn't change anything.
bradsmithsite
Banned
143 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Lynderika wrote:Stone of resurrection doesn't make sense, not to mention the game already is EXTREMELY gentle to transfer a hc char to softcore instead of killing it.
Magic resist is created to be hard to get, and all magic damage designed so that if they are too dangerous to you, you need more life (typical exemple is Atanna Khan boss)

Ok so seeing how you're struggeling with resistence it's clear you never played d2 seriously, but there always were nightmare and hell penalty for res. In vanilla it's -40/-100%, in median since 1.5 it's 30/70% (read : Percentage points). So since your res are passively reduced by a number of percentage points, you need to compensate with that much. So someone with none +max resistance have a cap at 75, and so will need 145. That's... it. You can interpret it as "all hell enemy have 70 pierce" too

Most enemy doesn't have more pierce, Assur and labs are the very few exemples, and the only really noticables ones. t14+ lab pierce by 100%, and Assur I don't know for sure but it's at least 100, just put the as much perf bloodstone as you can and he doesn't do damage anymore if that's the problem. There's a few curses reducing res too...
But unless in hc or for t14+ lab you shouldn't really care, really. It's very easy to overcap a little too, by like 30% and you're safe for life.

Also WTF are you talking about on updating d2stats when the in game interface litteraly show your res??? (--> mostly why I don't understand your problem)

As Istaryu said there always were pierce in vanilla with curses and aura ; conviction and lower resist for elemenal, amplify damage and decrepify for physical, and there were cases of bosses randomely having conviction (also uber mephisto I guess).

"
bradsmithsite wrote:For the love of god dude, post on the feedback thread. You don't need to create a new thread for every idea you have.

If you have 380% fire resistance, Diaco, do you know how much the effective fire resistance is. If you have 100% fire resistance, you should be immune to fire, but it doesn't work like that. For the updated D3Stats, would be nice to display that you have 82% effective fire resistance instead of display 380% resistance.

Ok do you understand the concept of cap? Your effective res can't go higher than 75%, + your "maximum elemental resistence" stat number, up to 90. Getting 10000% doesn't change anything.

I was told by the one video guide that you must have 380% fire resistance, which indicates that such high resistance does something. I mean, is well over the negative nightmare and hell penalties and the +75% you need so that confused the hell out of me. Thanks for clarifying. I thought that if every 100% extra gives you 5% effective maximum resistance or something, hence why you must have 380% fire resist. I could work out exactly how much effective resistance you had, but basically Median is the same as Lord of Destruction in that it's only useful to put more resistance to safeguard against auras and curses, SO NO NEED TO UPDATE. I was under the impression that having 500% maximum resistance increased your effective resistance that wasn't indicated, but you indicate that it doesn't. Hence my absolute confusion. Thanks for explaining to me Lynderika. Much appreciated.
Lynderika
Grubber
316 | 161
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
[quote="bradsmithsite"][/quote]

Sorry for the language, I did not well understood where were your problem. The way you asked were pretty weird, but it look like the biggest problem were around pierce mechanic. It is very straightforward if you're at ease with how res work it d2, but if you're just being told "go to 350% for assur" it may look weird indeed
bradsmithsite
Banned
143 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Hi Lynderika. You've been fantastic! Language aside I didn't really notice, but you resolved this topic, so THANK YOU. :)
PizzaGater
Banned
652 | 9
Diablo 3. Now I understand even better haha.

I can add two useful things, Belial and Ureh.
Assur, as said, just don't care, 1-2 purify and he's dead anyways, you can also run around until cooldown is gone.

Now for Belial you can get up to 250-300 fire resist, depending your character. I clearly need it on my fire sorc for example.
Ureh, you can go 300-350+ poison resist, but again it really depends your character.
Fire sorc has sick life regen, and I could do it without changing my gear (I have like 180 poison res I think)
But on bowa, I failed like 10 times with 350 poison res, in fact, I still haven't been able to grab the charm once on a bowa :shock:
bradsmithsite
Banned
143 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
PizzaGater wrote:Diablo 3. Now I understand even better haha.

I can add two useful things, Belial and Ureh.
Assur, as said, just don't care, 1-2 purify and he's dead anyways, you can also run around until cooldown is gone.

Now for Belial you can get up to 250-300 fire resist, depending your character. I clearly need it on my fire sorc for example.
Ureh, you can go 300-350+ poison resist, but again it really depends your character.
Fire sorc has sick life regen, and I could do it without changing my gear (I have like 180 poison res I think)
But on bowa, I failed like 10 times with 350 poison res, in fact, I still haven't been able to grab the charm once on a bowa :shock:

Thanks for the information. Will keep it in mind.
nobrainnopain
Heretic
405 | 5
Common Popularity Badge
Crash wrote:
bradsmithsite wrote:
Myxir wrote:Stone of Resurrection, lol. Sorry but I've never heard of such a stupid idea, that would make HC another SC mode :mrotate:

Not if it's very difficult to get a Stone of Resurrection so that you're scared of dying.

Tell me, as it stands, what is the point of HARDCORE in MEDIAN XL at the moment?

Show me a level 140 HC character please.

Go look at the ladder chart.

Can i see it anywhere even i am only playing single offline? just for info ...
chaostyle
Heretic
428 | 23
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions