Why in RPG games there are always no good items in a shop?

Discuss Median XL!
empleat
Prowler
18 | 0
I always wondered, why the heck in rpg games, there are no good items to be bought from the shop? It is basically useless from the start... You can only find good items from slaying monsters... There could be at least blue/yellow items sometimes I think, so you can buy some better, items if you can't find anything ATM from the looting... Just an idea...
DOOMEX
Abomination
145 | 2
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
killing monsters for items is the core of rpg games , in this mod u can MAKE uniq items of your choice with some grinding of shards , and in guide section is lot of info
Boban
Sasquatch
62 | 3
This game is hardly an RPG, it's hack&slash and as Doomex said it is all about killing monsters, so that makes sense. You can see plenty of good items on sale in "classical" RPGs.

edit: Oh and btw, in each act there is a vendor with whom you can gamble. You can buy any tiered item this way, no sacreds though. Also, gambling jewelry is what you probably want to spend your excessive gold for.
empleat
Prowler
18 | 0
Yeah I know, that's why I said normal/rare. At start this could be useful, or if you can't find anything good long-time to offset difficulty little bit! Thanks, that is useful! Also I want to spend my money on something, but there isn't anything to spend them for (in general)... Yeah diablo is more hack&slash, while I Am bored of this style, I like diablo also because atmosphere and story etc. Path of exile is wiki game and that I also don't like and like 90% of builds don't work, you have to play certain way... You can't reset skills tree, but build is dependent on items you get in late game (which you don't know ahead), so you gonna have to make new character of same type... Besides there is not much to do late game, there are brawls, boses and seasons, but that doesn't excite me... You only playing vs creeps basically, grinding 90% of the game...
DOOMEX
Abomination
145 | 2
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
empleat wrote:Yeah I know, that's why I said normal/rare. At start this could be useful, or if you can't find anything good long-time to offset difficulty little bit! Thanks, that is useful! Also I want to spend my money on something, but there isn't anything to spend them for (in general)... Yeah diablo is more hack&slash, while I Am bored of this style, I like diablo also because atmosphere and story etc. Path of exile is wiki game and that I also don't like and like 90% of builds don't work, you have to play certain way... You can't reset skills tree, but build is dependent on items you get in late game (which you don't know ahead), so you gonna have to make new character of same type... Besides there is not much to do late game, there are brawls, boses and seasons, but that doesn't excite me... You only playing vs creeps basically, grinding 90% of the game...

there is no situation were u "you can't find anything good long-time ".....u can farm andariel act 1 for shards near naked right when u start game at lvl 10-12 and u will be that lvl in 30-40 min .......and u CAN reset skill three FREE till lvl 40 so u can try different skills ..... im trying to explane to u that there is no need and no use of your proposal .....play the game and u will see your self
Lynderika
Grubber
316 | 161
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Vendor items are useful in normal a1-2 though, both for magics (mostly resists in armors and elemental damge in weapons) and runeword bases. Gambling of course is useful as well in many situations. I sometimes even bought items later when I had nothing meaningful in this slot, so I don't think vendor items are in a bad spot. Maybe have a slightly bigger selection? So you don't have to reset much for things like getting a 2 soc staff or high movement speed boots, for exemple. I've done normal speedruns, and vendor luck is part of it. That says a lot.
Unsatisfied
Invader
9 | 0
did you play regular d2? several best in slot items were from vendors

the issue is it creates a boring and tedious gameplay loop where people will reset vendors for literally hundreds of hours trying to find those items. if you add good but not great items to vendors, eg decent leveling items, it creates another boring gameplay aspect where you just fish vendors for upgrades instead of progressively finding things while playing
Taem
Necrobot
2476 | 151
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Maybe only old argps?

Ultima 2 and 3, Wirt from D1, final fantasy 2 & 3, Zelda 2 Adventure of Link (which was a rpg with stats), all old AF games I've played that have good items in shops. So maybe it's newer games that see a benefit in increasing game longevity artificially by having suck as items in store forcing a grind fest (hence time commitment)?
Frytas
Onyx Knight
614 | 97
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
sound to me like you don't even like the genre

in D:OS2 you can buy good items from npc's, but it's not at all similar to d2 or mxl, it's a modernized old school rpg

in diablo you kill monsters for gear, that's the way it is and has been for the past 20 years

you can also make runewords, upgrade your gear with mystic orbs, arcane crystals...i really fail to see your point
empleat
Prowler
18 | 0
there is no situation were u "you can't find anything good long-time ".....u can farm andariel act 1 for shards near naked right when u start game at lvl 10-12 and u will be that lvl in 30-40 min .......and u CAN reset skill three FREE till lvl 40 so u can try different skills ..... im trying to explane to u that there is no need and no use of your proposal .....play the game and u will see your self

I didn't play D2 long time, maybe i remeber it from d3, or I meant in general... Yeah that is also a thing, I don't farm 1 boss (it is repetitive), but probably good idea for farming...

Unsatisfied wrote:did you play regular d2? several best in slot items were from vendors

the issue is it creates a boring and tedious gameplay loop where people will reset vendors for literally hundreds of hours trying to find those items. if you add good but not great items to vendors, eg decent leveling items, it creates another boring gameplay aspect where you just fish vendors for upgrades instead of progressively finding things while playing

It takes hours ah OK. BTW This trend is more in newer rpgs tho like Sacred, Diablo 3, Titan Quest etc.