Pity Counter as a concept

Discuss Median XL!
flamacore
Prowler
16 | 14
Why don't we have it for numerous features in this game? Makes some things extremely frusturating for mid-core players like me. I'm not talking about something with a big impact that would touch every part of the balancing and change the experience altogether. Just something very far and very small for casuals and mid-cores. A few good examples that can be added to the game already:

-For K3K, it's not a fun re-farming experience after 30-40 necromancer kills if the charm doesn't drop so let's increase the 16% chance by 1% (or 2%) after each try after the first 10 kills for example. Same can be said for the trophy as well.
    -For Fautz and grand runes, the drop rate is understandably crazy low. Why not increase it by also a carizly low amount like 0.001% after every time a normal rune drops? This would cure so many problems as I only am able to play a few hours every week and it can take a month to drop just one rune.
    -For a really high SSSSSSU item (let's say gloves), increasing the drop rate for the Sx10U version after dropping a regular SU version by 1% isn't that much.

Examples can be expanded of course for like essences, eRunes and other stuff. Seems to me like Median can take this into consideration as an overall concept and make some good improvements here and there.

The values would be so low (as per my suggestion), so that this wouldn't affect the players who play hardcore, hours upon hours because they would be getting those drops anyway. And as we all know, pity counter is something that resets after it triggers.

Thoughts?
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1454 | 64
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
I am pretty sure this is just not possible.
Siosilvar
Cow Ninja
1237 | 268
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Well, let's start with the fact that trophies already have a pity timer in the form of the 20 charms -> 1 trophy frag recipe, and were changed to fragments in the first place to reduce the variance on 1% dropping the whole thing.

But yeah, this just isn't possible in the engine as is, and it seems like a lot of work for something if it doesn't meaningfully affect things. Whose pity timer do you use in a party game?

One possible implementation would be making shards or fragments for more things, like how PoE has divination cards.
B_ATAKY
Sasquatch
60 | 3
Expanding idea of pity timer.
1. Would be cool to have item, oil or smth(rare enough, maybe like mid tier enhanced runes un or mhal or so) that can turn t4 into SU.
2. It is also possible to make recipe lik NxSU+Oil of ehancement = 1 SSU. Where N is big enough digit. But i dont think it will be good for balance.
PitStains
Balrog
129 | 6
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
One way to implement something like this would be another implementation of Signets.
In addition to Signet of Leaning; there could be Signet of Magic Find.
For example, Cube 5 Set items for a Sig of Magic Find (+0.5% magic find or something).

Or, another "pity" system could be something like: Cube 5 Set items and get 1 random SSU+ item.

Bunch of different ways to implement what the OP is talking about without changing the loot tables or engine.

Another "Pity" item, although, I tend to side on the term "Reward" because you're playing the game, is some type of item to incentivize people leveling a 2nd/3rd/4th character. Some "twink" item that could make leveling more fun and easy.

Like a level 1 belt that drops from Hell Baal with these stats:
Under level 120 = you receive 100% extra experience, +50% combat speeds, +life/mana regeneration, and some cool oskills.
Over level 120 = no stats
Siosilvar
Cow Ninja
1237 | 268
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Play nice y'all. Time spead threadcrapping could be spent not being a jerk. :-D
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1495 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Why i dont totally agree with OP suggestion, i personally prefer if we could into alternative bad luck protection.
Mostly i get bored of the games around level 135 iirc, where every next progression required heavy RNG to proceed forward.
Around farming fauzt to prepare yourself for scosglen (other farming area too small or have terrible drops)

My problem last time is because alternative rune tier was more rare than old laz's runes (after zod, until xar)
I dont know 100% in / out of d2 engine limitation, but i prefer if team could play around like what they did with trophy farming.
Whatever solution here, it should be tradeable, farmable, RNG-fest (dopamine rush) or can be farmed in small chunk
Heck even recent corruption recipe sound quite good as well to give player something to gamble.

Personally, as someone who solo / SSF, I personally prefer for a way
1. To guarantee get random xx-xx levels of eRune (again, should be farmable before you reached level 135)
2. Higher tier crafting than usual arcane shard / signets (because it get pretty useless in late game)
3. Bad luck protection for getting same elemental essences (i dont have this issue, but some others do)
4. Convert those %gold cycle (why was this in the game?)
5. ability to find specific set pieces or upgrade them to viable late game.

I hope next patch address at least the boring part of that bracket. I dont care if i cant do uber lab or something, but i really dont want to spend many hours getting nothing. Dont tell me to start on getting those powerful relic or SSSU either.

*Just saw comment about PoE divination cards... yeah basically that. And it can be trade around for MP as well.