Discuss Median XL!
Captcha
Mangler
486 | 26
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Conquest wrote:The reason is quite simple and it's not even that dependent on mod authors.
It's the market saturation.
Median XL came out in late 2008, which was a completely different time when it comes to action RPG's. You had Diablo 2, its other mods and maybe Dungeon Siege 2? Not much. Also the concept of endgame was pretty new, Median mod is the first popular mod that doubled down on this concept.

Today you have so many good ARPG's with endgame that Median just feels outdated.
2.0 made it a trainwreck of a mod for me. It's not playable, I'm sorry, I can't make it past normal. Not due to difficulty but due to how crap it plays.
Well.. Brother Laz is making a brand new mod for D2 Resurrected which is kinda like Median but not quite.

Yep that's a lot of the reason, although I'm not sure that there are many "good" ARPGs, but there are certainly lots of them and most people who never played d2 can't tell a good one from the other kind. There's also a type of person who must have the newest thing, even if it's worse than the what it replaces.

Btw I searched for Bro Laz's d2r mod and there are a couple of references to it and even a site for the code but they mostly give a 404 page not found error and there's nothing in the code site. Looks like he abandoned it?
Conquest
Azure Drake
169 | 9
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Captcha wrote:
Conquest wrote:The reason is quite simple and it's not even that dependent on mod authors.
It's the market saturation.
Median XL came out in late 2008, which was a completely different time when it comes to action RPG's. You had Diablo 2, its other mods and maybe Dungeon Siege 2? Not much. Also the concept of endgame was pretty new, Median mod is the first popular mod that doubled down on this concept.

Today you have so many good ARPG's with endgame that Median just feels outdated.
2.0 made it a trainwreck of a mod for me. It's not playable, I'm sorry, I can't make it past normal. Not due to difficulty but due to how crap it plays.
Well.. Brother Laz is making a brand new mod for D2 Resurrected which is kinda like Median but not quite.

Yep that's a lot of the reason, although I'm not sure that there are many "good" ARPGs, but there are certainly lots of them and most people who never played d2 can't tell a good one from the other kind. There's also a type of person who must have the newest thing, even if it's worse than the what it replaces.

Btw I searched for Bro Laz's d2r mod and there are a couple of references to it and even a site for the code but they mostly give a 404 page not found error and there's nothing in the code site. Looks like he abandoned it?

Nah, he still develops it and provides daily updates on d2 mods discord.
The mod is in testing phase with many features being incomplete / buggy but it is being developed, it's definitely not abandoned.
Nitz
Harpylisk
1476 | 57
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Yes 2.0 is too slow and it makes you need to grind. Back before Sigma you could do most of the content at lvl 120 with honorifics.
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1445 | 61
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Nitz wrote:Yes 2.0 is too slow and it makes you need to grind. Back before Sigma you could do most of the content at lvl 120 with honorifics.

And you still can, suprise.
Gorghor
Bone Archer
77 | 4
Doubt.